Votes: 52 47.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
The selectors of a post war England Xl have tasked you with filling the one all-rounder slot available. Who would you choose and why?

PS let's assume Derek Pringle is injured.

PPS My mistake to put this into the Bear Pit. Apologies!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The selectors of a post war England Xl have tasked you with filling the one all-rounder slot available. Who would you choose and why?

PS let's assume Derek Pringle is injured.

PPS My mistake to put this into the Bear Pit. Apologies!

I've moved it for you. If ever proof were needed of the "popularity" of the Gammon Pit, it's taken 5 hours for one of us to see this. Nevertheless, it'll only take a cheap shot by one of the Flintoff Massive to have us consider moving it back. Good job the question wasn't "what's the best sandwich for a cricket tea" or I'd have left it it in the Pit.

I will even try and add a poll for you.

The answer, by the way, is STOKES.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
At this stage Botham

Only due to him having the edge with the ball in his hand.

I could see Stokes maybe over taking him by the end of his career, because Stokes is fantastic. But so was Botham and he edges it for me (no pun intended).

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I could see Stokes maybe over taking him by the end of his career, because Stokes is fantastic. But so was Botham and he edges it for me (no pun intended).

Quite possibly correct, it’s a horrible comparison to have to make because they are both world class cricketers.

Stokes clearly the better batter, Botham clearly the better bowler.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Beefy for me.
Quite what Flintoff is doing in this poll is beyond me...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Tony Greig

Yeah, not sure why he's been left out. He was a far better batsman than Botham and Flintoff (and better than Stokes, although that may change). He's clearly the weakest of the four bowlers but still worth mentioing

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I would pick Botham as a bowler! I would then pick stokes over flintoff due to batting.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Stokes over Botham. Now, anyway.

Stokes is much the better batsman. Botham was unreliable for large parts of his career. If you take his record out against New Zealand and India his average drops into the late 20s. Even his hold over Australia is a myth once you take out the 1981 series.

Botham is better with the ball, mainly because he had more variation and could open if needed. Stokes isn't an opening bowler but is still getting better. His status is that of a batting all-rounder and he must be averaging comfortably over 40 in the last couple of years.

I didn't really consider Flintoff. Quality player on his day but not in the same bracket as the other two. If you consider Flintoff then you have to look at Trevor Bailey.

Tony Greig comes out top stats wise, but Stokes now runs him close.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
All three are/were of their time - as were Fry, Rhodes, Bailey and Dexter. It's just not always realistic to compare what happened in different eras.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
What a question. Depends what form they are in... certainly not Botham if he's going to be captain.

Much as I love Botham and Flintoff I think it has to be Stokes, if he's fit.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
As there are 11 players in the team I’d pick Botham AND Stokes from the options given - I loved watching AWG though - and all brilliant fielders too - just natural talent, Fred too tbf.
If you insist on one I think it links to how the rest of the team is balanced - Botham’s bowling prob swings it for me!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Stokes for me, though all fantastic players in their day.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Quite possibly correct, it’s a horrible comparison to have to make because they are both world class cricketers.

Stokes clearly the better batter, Botham clearly the better bowler.

I think that's a really good summary. And you're right it is horrible to compare them and try and pick who's best. It's probably better to just acknoweldge how great Botham was and just enjoy watching Stokes try to beat his achievements.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Beefy has that extra off-the-field bit about him that makes him just edge out Stokes' affray.
Both able to turn a game with either bat or ball.
If Stokes can carry on his current form for a few more years that may swing it to his favour
Flintoff was never consistent enough and too easily put himself on the pedalo [and beach]

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
Stokes has just taken over for me (I’m trying not to consider Brexit!)
Like Botham he wins matches. He is just such a good batsmen in many different circumstances and the best fielder. Botham was a better wicket taker though. Flintoff is probably the best bowler of the three but not in the same category of batsman

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Tony Greig's test batting average was 40.43 compared to Flintoff's 31.77, while Greig's wickets came at 32.20 apiece, compared to Flintoff's 32.78.

Greig also snaffled 87 catches, compared to Flintoff's 52, Greig beats him on most tons (8 to 5), best bowling figures, 10 wickets match hauls, he was a better captain than Flintoff, he faced some demon bowlers too Lillee, Thomson, Hadlee, Roberts, Holding, Garner, Imran Khan etc.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here