Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Transfer Windows

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Do we really need transfer windows? I know Sky Sports love it but that is not enough reason for me. It results in teams, that can afford to, stockpiling players depriving them of the chance to play. I know they are well paid but it is hugely expensive for clubs, especially lower down the pyramid. There used to be a cut off point during the season, March I think, when you couldn’t sign players.
I just don’t see who benefits from this restriction of trade except, maybe, agents.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I used to hate it before transfer windows came in.

There was endless speculation every week that a key player would be poached.

We can now relax between windows.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Jim loves a bit of Deadline Day

2BE3451A00000578-0-image-a-27_1441146927943.jpg

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Players need to be registered to the clubs and league. It makes sense to have a point where teams can’t add to this from an admin perspective.

Teams can still negotiate transfers outside of window, so I don’t see the issue of having a deadline. Without a deadline I can also see the teams with more funds exploiting a lack of a deadline too... will surely poach players in form and turn heads even more so than now.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
if there were no transfer windows we would definitely have lost Stephens in 2017 and probably dunk a year earlier. makes it a lot harder to say no to players when the possibility of a move never ends

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
No they couldn't. There was a cut off point, to stop clubs buying their way out of a relegation scrap.

But the cut-off point was about two-thirds through March so bigger clubs could unsettle players in February and March

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
This.

The big spending clubs, if desperate to cover an injury in Feb or March, would unsettle quality players at smaller clubs.

There was only one winner.

Imagine what it would be like now. 100% we would've lost Dunk to a City size club during the most important part of the season during the past couple of campaigns, and more than likely we would've been relegated.

There aren't many rules that have made the English game fairer and more enjoyable for fans.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Do we really need transfer windows? I know Sky Sports love it but that is not enough reason for me. It results in teams, that can afford to, stockpiling players depriving them of the chance to play. I know they are well paid but it is hugely expensive for clubs, especially lower down the pyramid. There used to be a cut off point during the season, March I think, when you couldn’t sign players.
I just don’t see who benefits from this restriction of trade except, maybe, agents.

I don't think the windows have anything to do with stockpiling players.

Also, if there was no window, there would be speculation about a transfer every time a player in a lower-placed team put in a good performance. No thanks.

(Would rather the window was shut when the season started)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I remember losing Darren Currie and Danny Cullip in late Autumn when we needed them. A transfer window from July to the end of August, and only January, gives lower league teams some stability. Of course, this year all the dates are topsy turvy.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
For me, the transfer windows make perfect sense apart from the fact that they are massively abused by agents. It has created this last day drama as agents string clubs along to try and up the price. I would like to see it apply to managers as well to stop the lunacy sackings as clubs gamble. Pick your squad and manager and stick with it. One way of evening out the disparity in finances between clubs. Better make sure your Special One Manager and £300k a week players are up to the job as you are stuck with them for the season. No more throwing £80m at the problem you created.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I don't think the windows have anything to do with stockpiling players.

Also, if there was no window, there would be speculation about a transfer every time a player in a lower-placed team put in a good performance. No thanks.

(Would rather the window was shut when the season started)

Lots of differing views from mine and things I hadn’t thought about. I thought that lower league sides could help themselves by selling players they could no longer afford and cash becomes tight.
You are right about squad sizes though, everyone wants two players for every position plus 3 goalies. Would this be so necessary though if you could replace during the season? Don’t know.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No they couldn't. There was a cut off point, to stop clubs buying their way out of a relegation scrap.

No post was spot on. Before the current arrangement, transfers went on until the 31st March. Players were unsettled and lured to other clubs in Feb and March. Exactly as I stated.

Many posters in this thread remember that unsatisfactory arrangement.

97518E4D-FD8A-4E51-98E7-0D52DD805064.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here