Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] MOT extensions

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Sorry for the dull subject but hoping for some assistance form the collective wisdom of NSC.

My MOT was due this month but has been extended 6 months to January according to the online record because of Covid. I assumed that meant that I didn't have to take it to a garage which is just as well as they all seem to have long waiting lists here. I pay the tax by direct debit and had a letter yesterday saying that for the tax to continue from August 1st I need a certificate which seems to go against what I've read online?

Is this just a standard letter that has gone out in error as their systems haven't been updated to take into account the Covid extension? Has anyone else had this?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Not sure about the tax letter thing but my MOT was due in april , I got a MOT done last week and the date the MOT starts from was the day I had it done .

I thought it was going to be back dated until the April expired date , happy days ,

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Not sure about the tax letter thing but my MOT was due in april , I got a MOT done last week and the date the MOT starts from was the day I had it done .

I thought it was going to be back dated until the April expired date , happy days ,

Mine was due 4th April and has been extended until 4th October. I'll be waiting until the last week in September to get the MOT - a nice six months saved !

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Both our MOT and VED were due in July, but managed to get the MOT done, so able to renew the VED.

Edit to add the link

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronav...s-vans-and-motorcycles-due-from-30-march-2020

How the 6-month extension works
Your vehicle’s MOT expiry date will be automatically extended by 6 months if it’s eligible. This will be done about 7 days before it’s due to expire.

This means that:

your vehicle will still have a valid MOT certificate for an extra 6 months
you can still tax your vehicle - you might need to wait to do this until later in the month if both your MOT and vehicle tax run out this month
your insurance will still be valid

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Sorry for the dull subject but hoping for some assistance form the collective wisdom of NSC.

My MOT was due this month but has been extended 6 months to January according to the online record because of Covid. I assumed that meant that I didn't have to take it to a garage which is just as well as they all seem to have long waiting lists here. I pay the tax by direct debit and had a letter yesterday saying that for the tax to continue from August 1st I need a certificate which seems to go against what I've read online?

Is this just a standard letter that has gone out in error as their systems haven't been updated to take into account the Covid extension? Has anyone else had this?

Mrs W's MOT got extended past when her tax renewal was due. She got the same letter but her car still shows as taxed online. You should be fine.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

You have a certificate the current one it’s been extended so is valid

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Mine was extended to September as well. As for paying tax (or VED if we're being pedantic), it's all cross checked electronically isn't it? Just go onto the DVLA website enter the reference number on the V11 (the tax reminder letter). It won't let you complete the purchase if the MOT hasn't been done, or in your case extended.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
no longer have a MOT certificate, its all online. so assume the online record is updated to the longer period. (the paper they give you is for your records/satisfaction. what the point of this is i dont know)

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Thanks for the responses.

Online it says the MOT is not due until January and the tax due 1st August. I assume the DD will just carry on as normal now the system has been updated and then the tax date will change. Guess the letter must just be automatically sent.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Online it says the MOT is not due until January and the tax due 1st August. I assume the DD will just carry on as normal now the system has been updated and then the tax date will change. Guess the letter must just be automatically sent.

As I read it, you still pay the tax 1st August but use your current extended MOT on the application.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011

My mot has been extended until 24th December and my direct debit tax ended this month. I received an email stating this ;

Your Direct Debit for vehicle tax has been successfully set up / renewed.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
A word of warning, those of you using the covid extension get your mots booked now or risk not getting a slot......I own a garage and VTS and we are looking like we have in the region of 250 extra mots to do in October on top of the normal October mots means I’ll have about 560 mots to do with capacity for 440 ! November similar numbers December not so bad.
Nearly every other garage near us are saying the same thing........it’s going to be an absolute cluster**** !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here