Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Up Yours, Pundits!

el punal

And the bookies. How wrong were you? Twelve months ago you predicted Brighton were absolute certs for relegation, along with Sheffield United. Most had us down to finish in 20th place, a few at 19th. Consider this you twunts - ever since we were promoted to the Premier League we have NEVER been in the bottom three. With one game to go we will finish 15th, 15= or 16th depending on the final outcome of results. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Enjoy the humble pie! Rant over. :drink:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
And the bookies. How wrong were you? Twelve months ago you predicted Brighton were absolute certs for relegation, along with Sheffield United. Most had us down to finish in 20th place, a few at 19th. Consider this you twunts - ever since we were promoted to the Premier League we have NEVER been in the bottom three. With one game to go we will finish 15th, 15= or 16th depending on the final outcome of results. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Enjoy the humble pie! Rant over. :drink:

They’ll have us down as relegation favourites next year too, don’t take is so personally :lolol:

#TeamsLikeBrighton

I’ll be going large on their top six prediction for Leeds obviously :thumbsup:

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
If we keep finishing one or two places above the relegation zone then we will keep being among the favourites for relegation. It’s not really surprising or insulting.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If we keep finishing one or two places above the relegation zone then we will keep being among the favourites for relegation. It’s not really surprising or insulting.
If we keep finishing 1 or 2 places above the bottom 3, you might think our odds would make us 4th or 5th favourites for relegation, not outright favourites. That said, and I'm not in the slightest bit annoyed by this, a lot of people outside this club decided we were doomed. In fact, most football people called it like that - far more than the usual lazy pundits stealing a living in the MSM.

My prediction for next season is that we will be 5th or 6th favourites to go down and yet we will finish in our highest ever league position.:cool:

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
We're always likely to be one of the bottom six clubs even next year. Doesn't bother me what the pundits or bookies think. I'd happily take 17th next season right now.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

My thoughts exactly. We're small fish. We'll be one of the favourites next season too. Hopefully we'll end up surprising people, but the likelihood is it'll be another battle next season.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If we keep finishing 1 or 2 places above the bottom 3, you might think our odds would make us 4th or 5th favourites for relegation, not outright favourites. That said, and I'm not in the slightest bit annoyed by this, a lot of people outside this club decided we were doomed. In fact, most football people called it like that - far more than the usual lazy pundits stealing a living in the MSM.

My prediction for next season is that we will be 5th or 6th favourites to go down and yet we will finish in our highest ever league position.:cool:

Every year the teams that come up are often argued as having great chances of doing better than the three that went down. A lot fans on here are being dismissive of Leeds' chances next year, but because of their history of being a big club, and the dominance they showed in the championship, a lot of pundits will view them as having a great chance of a top half/mid table finish. West Brom are a yo-yo club who have some premier league pedigree and there's always a sense that teams like that 'will have learned from their previous relegation and will do better this time'. They were the same arguments with Norwich and Villa last year.

"The ones that are just missing out on relegation this year will struggle next year and with the strength of the teams coming up, I worry for them" is the sort of punditry that will happen every year. If we're always just missing out on relegation, it will be said of us every year. I wouldn't be suprised if us, whichever of villa/watford/bournemouth survive, and whoever is promoted from the play offs make up most pundits/bookies bottom three for next year.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
We are one season of bad injuries away from being relegated, in my view.
But that is no different from most bottom half teams.

Our squad is getting deeper each year and the quality is improving, but not enough to be noticed by only the most optimistic of Brighton fans.
No surprise that we will be one of most pundits picks to go down.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Ignore the pundits that only follow top 6 in any detail

#undertheradar

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham

We'd only be 4th or 5th favourites for the drop if you automatically set the promoted three as favourites. Basically it's hard to predict, how many thought Bournemouth and Watford might be going down?

I agree with your prediction.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham

Is that what happened to Bournemouth? I haven't really followed them but I know Brooks was injured and Fraser didn't perform. If Dunk had got a serious injury and Maupay was a flop would we be down?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Is that what happened to Bournemouth? I haven't really followed them but I know Brooks was injured and Fraser didn't perform. If Dunk had got a serious injury and Maupay was a flop would we be down?

Hard to say, but arguably if we had lost Maupay and Dunk after January we probably would have struggled more than we have.

I think we are building a solid squad, to guard against the impact of injuries.
Potter not being as reliant on a first 11 will also help in that regard.

So hopefully it would take an exceptionally bad run of injuries to sink us.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016

Our squad is getting deeper each year and the quality is improving, but not enough to be noticed by only the most optimistic of Brighton fans.
No surprise that we will be one of most pundits picks to go down.

You could say that for Leeds more than any of the other potential relegation candidates. They did very well in a pretty poor Championship, had barely any injuries and used a very small number of regular players. A bit of bad luck on injuries, burn out from a different pace in the Prem... we'll see.

Hopefully their bigness will protect them

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Is it true that since our promotion to the Premier League, we've never finished a day sat in the relegation zone? Some feat if true.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Is it true that since our promotion to the Premier League, we've never finished a day sat in the relegation zone? Some feat if true.

We were in the bottom 3 after our first game, Palace were bottom.

Not sure if there were bigger losses on the Sunday to take us up a couple of places

Edit: just checked Utd beat West Ham 4:0 and Spurs beat Newcastle to take us out of the bottom 3 on alphabetical order.

Edit2: We were back in the bottom 3 after matchday 2, but our Draw against Watford in Matchday3 took us out.

Last edited:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Hard to say, but arguably if we had lost Maupay and Dunk after January we probably would have struggled more than we have.

I think we are building a solid squad, to guard against the impact of injuries.
Potter not being as reliant on a first 11 will also help in that regard.

So hopefully it would take an exceptionally bad run of injuries to sink us.
So basically we shouldn't risk injury to Maupay and Dunk in a practically meaningless game vs Burnley....

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I don't remember us being that tipped to go down
Until football stopped for two months it did look pretty likely, I don't think the pundits could have predicted a pandemic

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here