Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] An idea for Sunday

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Ok, Tony, no-one is expecting much from the lads on Sunday. West Ham's point today puts us in 16th. I gather moving up from 16th to 15th on Sunday would be worth about £2m for the club.

How about telling the players that if they can get 15th, £0.5m of that will be shared equally amongst the players and £0.5m split between the charities of their choice. The club keeps the other £1m (minus £100k to me for the idea). Give the players more motivation to turn it on on Sunday. Win/win.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Spending others people money is so easy.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Seeing as the FA had a hissy fit when one club chairman used to treat his players to a McDonalds when they won, I imagine they'd be in complete meltdown at the thought of a 500k out of contract bonus.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Seeing as the FA had a hissy fit when one club chairman used to treat his players to a McDonalds when they won, I imagine they'd be in complete meltdown at the thought of a 500k out of contract bonus.

There's always a way around it with a bit of imagination.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Ok, Tony, no-one is expecting much from the lads on Sunday. West Ham's point today puts us in 16th. I gather moving up from 16th to 15th on Sunday would be worth about £2m for the club.

How about telling the players that if they can get 15th, £0.5m of that will be shared equally amongst the players and £0.5m split between the charities of their choice. The club keeps the other £1m (minus £100k to me for the idea). Give the players more motivation to turn it on on Sunday. Win/win.

Surely for the £40k they get paid a week they'll be motivated enough.

Plus, Burnley always lose on the last day.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
This.

Accrington Stanley got in trouble for buying the team Big Macs when they won.

Let's not get a points deduction, eh ?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

£20K each among the 25 man squad? £20K each ..........................

Hardly worth getting out of bed for a PL footballer.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

By "out of contract bonus", I presume that you mean discretionary bonus? Discretionary bonuses to which there is no contractural right or entitlement are paid by businesses in many sectors. Of course such discretionary bonuses are subject to tax and NI but there is nothing "illegal" about them provided they are open and transparent and are taxed in accordance with legislation.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I'd suggest a plane with a banner saying "All Brighton and Burnley fans lives matter. Try and score goals, for the love of God".

Might need a bigger plane though.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
By "out of contract bonus", I presume that you mean discretionary bonus? Discretionary bonuses to which there is no contractural right or entitlement are paid by businesses in many sectors. Of course such discretionary bonuses are subject to tax and NI but there is nothing "illegal" about them provided they are open and transparent and are taxed in accordance with legislation.

Premier League and EFL rules state that all payments or benefits should be included in the players contract. Therefore in football terms those payments would be illegal.

Players’ Remuneration
T.13. Full details of a Player’s remuneration including all benefits to which he is entitled
whether in cash or in kind shall be set out in his contract (or any amendment to that
contract in a form approved by the Board).

Source - https://resources.premierleague.com...1-9a4ecf405e0e/2019-20-PL-Handbook-230620.pdf

Which is why the Accrington Stanley owner found himself in hot water over buying the players McDonald's when they won games, he's actually allowed to buy them dinner after games providing it isn't linked to on field performances or results.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43669872

I'm sure we do have bonuses linked to league position in the players contracts already, but we couldn't just offer the players money based on the one off result against Burnley as the OP suggests.

Last edited:

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Are Burnley doing the 'faces on seats' thing? Can we slip a Ben White one in there and give the cameraman a few quid to focus on it...?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I'd suggest a plane with a banner saying "All Brighton and Burnley fans lives matter. Try and score goals, for the love of God".

Might need a bigger plane though.

Virgin to retire entire fleet of 747's with immediate effect. Must be one going spare at Gatwick. All we need is a volunteer to hang out the back door holding the string.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
So what you are saying is "win the game and we will give you about a third to a half a week of pay extra"?
I am sure they will be super motivated by that.

They could use it to revamp their gardens.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here