Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Beyond what transfers we want, what do you think the club will do?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
We can all see the position we want the recruitment team to fill but, what positions do you realistically think the club will acquire and what (type) of player will they be?

So basically forecast what the club’s going to do.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I can’t forecast, but surely to god we’ll get a striker in.

Feels like we’ve been short of a striker every season in the Prem. Glenn will be off I suspect, and we still haven’t replaced Andone.

Also suspect Dale, Duffy and Propper may be shipped out if the price is right.

Beyond that judging from this season we can likely expect a couple more u23’s to be promoted. Would be nice to get a couple more “Lamptey” type signings. But I have faith in the club to do us right.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think it's going to be a lot quieter than many expect.

Something like;

OUT -

Duffy
A CM (Stephens or Gross)
Jahanbakhsh
Connolly (loan out)

IN -

New GK (number 2 but pushing Ryan a bit closer than Steele or Button)
New CM
New Striker

and that's about it.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I would like a bit of a clear out of the old guard if I'm honest. Sentiment can't play a part if we are to progress. Murray, Stephens, March, Propper, Gross, Montoya and Duffy to go.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I think the club will bring in 3-4 main signings including a striker, a defensive midfielder and a left back.

And then a similar number of young players for the future.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Reading what’s been put out, I think we’ll be going after young-ish players from established teams who haven’t been able to break into their respective squads (ala Lamptey and Maitland-Niles) or we’ll be looking to the Championship (ala Maupay and Webster).

So much depends on how we set up. I’d say we need another winger to replace the out of favour Ali J, the constantly injured Izquierdo and the often out of sorts March, but we don’t seem to play with wingers much anyway. So... :shrug:

Positions we definitely need to improve on, IMO, are;

- A striker (Ollie Watkins, Eberechi Eze, Conor Chaplin)
- A central midfielder (Lallana, Maitland-Niles, Matt Grimes, Harrison Reed)
- A left back (Jamal Lewis, Omar Richards)

None of the above are based on anything other than players who could ‘do a job’ as the saying goes.

Other than that, I can see players getting promoted from the U23s. I expect Haydon Roberts, Alex Cochrane, Taylor Richards and maybe even Danny Cashman featuring in the cup and push for a place on the bench.

Last edited:

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
We need AT LEAST 2 strikers in my opinion to support Maupay. Connolly really needs to go and get a loan and some goals in the championship for his own confidence and we need a replacement for Murray and a third support striker. The latter could be Gykores who's scored a few in German div 2.

We really need a combative CDM who can move the ball far more quickly than our current options, and another player who can actually play wide. If Trossard got injured we'd be toast in this department.

Other than that we need a LB. Dan Burn has done great but offers nothing going forward and Bernardo is clearly not trusted to do what Potter asks.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I think it's going to be a lot quieter than many expect.

Something like;

OUT -

Duffy
A CM (Stephens or Gross)
Jahanbakhsh
Connolly (loan out)

IN -

New GK (number 2 but pushing Ryan a bit closer than Steele or Button)
New CM
New Striker

and that's about it.

I'll go the other way, I think there will be quite a bit of business going out, fewer players coming in, as we look to incorporate more of the academy players who have been out on loan.

Prediction 1. We'll break our transfer record twice, but neither on a striker.
Prediction 2. Our squad will only have about 20 senior players, as we look to rely on the academy more
Prediction 3. The recruitment will be geared towards players for our new predominant formation. 3-5-2

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What I think they will do: Sell Duffy and possibly Propper. Bring in a small winger and a medium sized striker that none of us have ever heard of. Bring forth a couple of the lads who have been out on loan, White obviously. There is no way they will sell the club's most expensive signing because his potential will be fulfilled (in my opinion) soon and letting him go now would incur a massive loss, plus he won't want to go because nobody would match the salary he's getting with us.

What I think they should do: Buy a 'proven number 9' (Murray upgrade, younger, faster), and two agressive and tenacious creative midfielders ('Bissouma plus'). Consider realistic bids for Duffy (he's still young and proven; just a bit too slow for us now). Consider unrealistic bids for Stephens, Gross and March (noting that it is unlikely an EPL side would want them, certainly not on the money they are currently on, and it is unlikely yhey will want to leave just to earn a pay cut).

Anyway, I know nothing really. More than happy to enjoy whatever our clever owner and his chums dish up for our delectation.

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
Reading what’s been put out, I think we’ll be going after young-ish players from established teams who haven’t been able to break into their respective squads (ala Lamptey and Maitland-Niles) or we’ll be looking to the Championship (ala Maupay and Webster).

So much depends on how we set up. I’d say we need another winger to replace the out of favour Ali J, the constantly injured Izquierdo and the often out of sorts March, but we don’t seem to play with wingers much anyway. So... :shrug:

Positions we definitely need to improve on, IMO, are;

- A striker (Ollie Watkins, Eberechi Eze, Conor Chaplin)
- A central midfielder (Lallana, Maitland-Niles, Matt Grimes, Harrison Reed)
- A left back (Jamal Lewis, Omar Richards)

None of the above are based on anything other than players who could ‘do a job’ as the saying goes.

Other than that, I can see players getting promoted from the U23s. I expect Haydon Roberts, Alex Cochrane, Taylor Richards and maybe even Danny Cashman featuring in the cup and push for a place on the bench.

Jamal Lewis is an interesting one, it is a position where we are short, and he may well be available at a sensible price, we've seen a lot of him on TV lately and he looks good, apart from the game at Watford where he was absolutely terrible, maybe worth a punt.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
We need AT LEAST 2 strikers in my opinion to support Maupay. Connolly really needs to go and get a loan and some goals in the championship for his own confidence and we need a replacement for Murray and a third support striker. The latter could be Gykores who's scored a few in German div 2.

We really need a combative CDM who can move the ball far more quickly than our current options, and another player who can actually play wide. If Trossard got injured we'd be toast in this department.

Other than that we need a LB. Dan Burn has done great but offers nothing going forward and Bernardo is clearly not trusted to do what Potter asks.

Not sure I agree on Connolly , dont think he will ever be a prolific striker but is a nuisance , physical and good for the team . He's doing well and confidence should be flying. Think he will be fine and think we should keep.

Can't argue with any of the rest.

Any new signing would ideally have pace and be able to produce magic ( like trossard can ). We are very pedastrian and predictable at times. Against Newcastle if you had a couple of gold dust players in there we prob would of conjured something up. Thats the difference.

I cant see us doing alot transfer window though.

I'll go with 2 signings for cash and the rest youth promotion

Interestingly , i see Leeds linked to Ibrohimavic and Cavani . They will obviously shoot for the stars. I hope we do as well to an extent

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Jamal Lewis is an interesting one, it is a position where we are short, and he may well be available at a sensible price, we've seen a lot of him on TV lately and he looks good, apart from the game at Watford where he was absolutely terrible, maybe worth a punt.

I think he fits the Potter mould, so to speak. Young, pacy, likes to get forward, not the finished article by any means but could be a useful addition, especially if we end up playing a variation of 3 at the back and need wing backs to provide pace and width.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Eh?

March hasn't kicked on at all, he's no longer a boy and Propper what does he do????

Kicked on? March is a solid player, rarely spectacular but usually does as he's asked to do. Very consistent and a handy squad player. Propper has been gash since restart but has games where he is absolutely outstanding. We are not going to bin off a Dutch international just because he's out of form in unusual circumstances.

Agree with your other players though, except maybe Duffy.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think Duffy, Bernardo, Pröpper, Gross and Ali J will be sold. Maybe Montoya, but quite unlikely. No idea about the backup keepers.

Left back likely to be signed, if they can find a good one.

One central midfielder and one winger likely coming in.

A striker is likely to be signed, but if Gyökeres impresses in pre-season I could see them just going with Maupay, Connolly, Gyökeres and Murray.

Dont think it will be much more than that.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Kicked on? March is a solid player, rarely spectacular but usually does as he's asked to do. Very consistent and a handy squad player. Propper has been gash since restart but has games where he is absolutely outstanding. We are not going to bin off a Dutch international just because he's out of form in unusual circumstances.

Agree with your other players though, except maybe Duffy.

Solid, rarely spectacular, he offers very little and has done for years. If you're happy for us to bump along down the bottom fine. All the players I mention, apart from Murray who's age has caught up with him, can be bettered. We need to progress and can only do that with hungry, better players. March has had a full stomach for a long time.

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
Unless I'm very mistaken GP has let Schelloto go because we have Lamptey and Montoya so tthe latter will stay. Ideally we need a striker and a defensive midfielder although maybe White could move to that role as he has a few times for Leeds. Sadly although I rate Ali J GP seems not to so I think we should let him go somewhere he has a chance to play regularly. I get we might make a big loss but in everyones best interests best to accept his style/position does not seem to suit the manager.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I think we mostly agree that Murray, legend that he is, has come to the end of his PL days and needs replacing. If we send Connolly out on loan and assuming that Potter still doesn't fancy managing Andone, we will need at least two forwards and possibly three. For that reason either Murray won't go and will spend the season sat on the bench or we won't send Connolly out on loan.

We need far more pace in midflied and Alzate may provide that but he lacks experience. Stephens is just not quick enough in mind or body now so he would probably be first out for me.

Potter doesn't seem too keen on Bernardo so possibly a new left back.

Doesn't look like we are going to play with wingers so Izzy's contract cancelled, Ali J shipped out (although I would have liked to have seen him be given more opportunity as he looked good enough pre-lockdown), and I think Solly will possibly be at risk of being shown the door.

Oh....and you can never have too many centre backs. Expect us to bring in at least three more :clap2:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I hate to think of the BINFEST on here if Murray goes to another PL club and gets 10-15 goals next season? It would probably be even worse than last time :lolol:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here