Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Joy of Painting

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
The Joy of Painting, Series 3: 2. Ebony Sea: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000l41l via @bbciplayer

Has anyone else discovered this since lockdown? It's a quietly fascinating half hour of "how on earth does he do that". Admittedly a lot of the pictures painted look similar and cliched, but the real appeal is the apparent ease of his technique. Apparently anyone can do it if you put in a few hours practice, regardless of any artistic talent or flair.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The Joy of Painting, Series 3: 2. Ebony Sea: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000l41l via @bbciplayer

Has anyone else discovered this since lockdown? It's a quietly fascinating half hour of "how on earth does he do that". Admittedly a lot of the pictures painted look similar and cliched, but the real appeal is the apparent ease of his technique. Apparently anyone can do it if you put in a few hours practice, regardless of any artistic talent or flair.

Old Mr Ross always did at least one in practise butt I did like* him. His style of ‘wet on wet’ was taught to him by some German guy who thought he took his fame and they fell out.

Carrevaggio used that technique so that was bollox..

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach

Youve only just discovered Bob Ross?? Been watching his programme for years! Amazing artist, and a gentle soul...(RIP)

In 1961, 18-year-old Ross enlisted in the United States Air Force and was put into service as a medical records technician. He rose to the rank of master sergeant and served as the first sergeant of the clinic at Eielson Air Force Base in Alaska, where he first saw the snow and mountains that later became recurring themes in his artwork. He developed his quick-painting technique to create art for sale during brief daily work breaks. Having held military positions that required him to be, in his own words, "tough" and "mean", "the guy who makes you scrub the latrine, the guy who makes you make your bed, the guy who screams at you for being late to work," Ross decided he would never yell or raise his voice again if he ever left the military.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Bob Ross is a man who the word 'legend' doesn't do enough justice.

I love that man.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Fairly sure I have posted these before but here are my paintings created at sessions with the wonderful Certified Ross Instructors Paul and Terri. Based in Worthing if you fancy a go. Bear in mind I have NO artistic talent whatsoever.

https://www.paulandterri.co.uk/

39987_460249058528_4395341_n.jpg
40667_460249143528_4762525_n.jpg
40667_460249148528_3611701_n.jpg
40667_460249153528_5656803_n.jpg
40667_460249158528_5552879_n.jpg

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I stumbled across The Joy of Proudainting on BBC 4 last night.

Marvellous scenes!

I'd never heard of Bob Ross before. Such a calming voice and manner. A really enjoyable watch.

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
Discovered during lockdown too, how have I missed this??!!

Most relaxing half hour you will ever experience.

I'm sure someone on here has him as their avatar??

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Fairly sure I have posted these before but here are my paintings created at sessions with the wonderful Certified Ross Instructors Paul and Terri. Based in Worthing if you fancy a go. Bear in mind I have NO artistic talent whatsoever.

Very good, I particularly like this one of a Tapir...

:lolol:

Attachments

• 40667_460249148528_3611701_n.jpg
    40667_460249148528_3611701_n.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 55

Music City Gull

Not Changing This, Bozza
Jun 28, 2020
12 South
Ha! I do love Bob Ross, he's a delight. I've spent countless hours watching him paint happy little trees and I'd urge others to do the same.

It’s crazy, he was actually a drill instructor in the army. Must have been in countdown mode to retire and live the life and personality he loved.

d7de7f727f24d0ca5dd026bfe05c76b8.gif

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

https://www.paulandterri.co.uk/

View attachment 126347
View attachment 126348
View attachment 126349
View attachment 126350
View attachment 126351

They're tremendous. I've got Art O-level, but I couldn't produce work anywhere as good as that!

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
They're tremendous. I've got Art O-level, but I couldn't produce work anywhere as good as that!

Believe me - it is all in the technique and the teaching. The only cheats are in the animals where the black parts are already done for you but the landscapes are done from scratch. You watch a small part demonstrated and then go back and do it yourself with help/advice if required. I haven't been for around 15 years but their price has barely gone up. It is £50 for the day and that includes all materials. If you want them to frame it then that is another £15 or £20 from memory. Everyone comes away with a very passable painting and your O level massively outweighs my artistic prowess. I thoroughly recommend going to them if it takes your interest (When they are allowed to reopen of course. They either run from village halls or their home studio in Worthing. And there are Certified Ross Instructors all over the world for anyone not in Sussex. They need to have attended an intensive course from the Bob Ross people in order to get the certification.

https://www.bobross.com/Articles.asp?ID=301

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here