Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Council Green again

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Council set to go Green after a week of shock resignations. The council leader will hand over power 'in the interests of democracy and the city'

The current leader of Brighton and Hove City Council, Nancy Platts, has written to her Labour councillors to tell them they are handing over power “in the interests of democracy and the city”.

The Greens became the largest party on the council after two Labour councillors resigned yesterday.

Cllr Platts told her councillors: “Following the meeting yesterday, I approached the Green Group to offer a power sharing arrangement on the Council. The Green Group have rejected a power-sharing arrangement, so I’m writing to you to explain the next steps ahead of our meeting this evening.

https://www.brightonandhovenews.org...d-hands-power-to-greens-in-brighton-and-hove/

Last edited:

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Out of the frying pan and into the fire. :wozza:

R.I.P Brighton.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
no coalition of the left?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
With the Greens taking power I would like to think that they will at least get the streets clean again.

It is ridiculous that the Council pays people to hang around the station dishing out fixed penalty notices for dropping a bit of fag ash or a crisp whilst the bins are overflowing with rubbish because apparently the Council cant afford to pay the binmen to empty them.

Visitors arriving at the station and being confronted by piles of rubbish and being hassled for "spare change" reflects really badly on our city and will only deter visitors from coming back and bringing much needed money into the local economy.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
God help us. The last Green administration were the worst in living memory. [MENTION=22135]rippleman[/MENTION] - they didn't last time. In fact they had some of the worse industrial relations with Cityclean ever.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
A council who actually run things for the benefit of the residents rather than interest\focus groups would be nice. We need less agendas and more actual services regardless of the colour of the rosette they wear...

Housing/Rubbish Collection/ Street Cleaning/Social Service provision and transport - positive action needed in all these areas plus many others. I know a couple of people in highish positions in the council and the ineptitude and nepotism of the basic council functions beggars belief.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
A council who actually run things for the benefit of the residents rather than interest\focus groups would be nice. We need less agendas and more actual services regardless of the colour of the rosette they wear...

Housing/Rubbish Collection/ Street Cleaning/Social Service provision and transport - positive action needed in all these areas plus many others. I know a couple of people in highish positions in the council and the ineptitude and nepotism of the basic council functions beggars belief.

Totally agree, too much Party before City imho!

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
God help us. The last Green administration were the worst in living memory. [MENTION=22135]rippleman[/MENTION] - they didn't last time. In fact they had some of the worse industrial relations with Cityclean ever.

This. It's very strange how the Greens have such an excellent local MP, who works hard for her constituency, yet the last Green Council couldn't run a bath.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This. It's very strange how the Greens have such an excellent local MP, who works hard for her constituency, yet the last Green Council couldn't run a bath.

not so strange, its the difference between being able to talk and having to execute. Lucas doesnt have to deliver on anything, deal with compromise or practical realities of office.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Out of the frying pan and into the fire. :wozza:

R.I.P Brighton.

The majority of decisions are taken in shared committees and by other staff. The council sets the budgets and that will need a consensus.

The Argus, like before, will doubtless try to suggest that everything is the Greens fault.

Off we go again.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Greens take power of B&HCC

Deep joy, now they can get on with the job they started, turning my town into a third world shit hole.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Deep joy, now they can get on with the job they started, turning my town into a third world shit hole.

Imagine how shit you'd have to be at politics and life in general to lose a safe Tory seat to those people......

:whistle:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Imagine how shit you'd have to be at politics and life in general to lose a safe Tory seat to those people......

:whistle:

Easy, just invite thousands of Students here for a couple of years, give them the vote in a central constituency and then let them wave goodbye to what their vote has left. Many Tories have fled the town.

I’m a proud Brightonian but not proud of how it looks.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Easy, just invite thousands of Students here for a couple of years, give them the vote in a central constituency and then let them wave goodbye to what their vote has left. Many Tories have fled the town.

I’m a proud Brightonian but not proud of how it looks.

Here here.[emoji1319]

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
This , complete with wigwams
Regards
DF

But that's the way democracy works, and you wouldn't want undemocratic loons poking their nose in would you ???

*edit*
I did it again, didn't I ? and wasted my time replying to a proven (and banned on multiple occasions for it) anti-semitic, racist, homophobic, nazi supporting, holocaust denying, scroungers fishing thread again :facepalm:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here