Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deluded Leeds (an EFL club) fans

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
While one should respect an autodidact, I feel you may have missed the full import and nuance of suus as a reflexive possessive. But what else should we expect of someone who knows better than both George Orwell and the Oxford English Dictionary (which defines sui generis as ‘of its own kind, peculiar, unique’)?

There’s such a thing as wearing learning lightly ...

Evidence of why one book that I thoroughly enjoyed was your own sir. The subject was obviously a winner, but your writing was also a joy.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
What are they smoking?

Screenshot 2020-08-06 at 21.08.11.png

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
This is my favourite short of his. Only Bennett could make talk like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9jSAJIDGFQ

Leeds can at least claim him as their own.

Thank you. I’ve not seen or heard that before. He’s a wonderful mixture of perceptiveness and a way with words. If I was asked to name a National Treasure team sheet, he would be my first choice.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Thank you. I’ve not seen or heard that before. He’s a wonderful mixture of perceptiveness and a way with words. If I was asked to name a National Treasure team sheet, he would be my first choice.

He would hate it. He's often dismissed that term as redolent of the need to soon make arrangements for your own funeral.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Morning, Leeds fan in peace.

It absolutely shocked me to see a thread like this I guess Brighton are another team that are shaken and worried by one of the top 3 or 4 biggest clubs in the country being back in the big time. Only a few more tinpot nothing clubs like yourself to remove from the prem and order will be restored, however the league looks a lot healthier with our name in it.

The best English side ever (1970s Leeds), a fantastic 90s team, worldwide support comparable to only liverpool and real Madrid and barcelona, manchester utd and Juventus ac milan, could add Celtic in too. We fell on hard times but we have often been unlucky as a club, cheated out of numerous European and league and cups in the 70s, a few times in the 90s too, and more recently with our corrupt owners but now we are back, I firmly believe that especially with the worlds best manager we will get top four within the next two seasons and back challenging again, we are like a Dortmund or Napoli of England who they also fell on hard times and well now look.

As for young Ben White, he is begging to stay up here and it paves the way for a cut price deal as I can see him refusing to play for your club again, hes had a taste of the big time now and can't get enough, I can see him being our future captain. Thank you for sending him too us. Good luck for the season, I'm sure you'll be back down with the likes of Bournemouth soon.

Damn you must have spent your annual savings on someone to put some sentences together for you. Why are you obsessed with us ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Hey @%1;

Is this one of your Leeds buddies? He seems the real intellectual type.

I can imagine you happily exchanging Latin repartee with each other and discussing your latest reads on Bielsa.

https://twitter.com/mattgoodwin6741/status/1290615946772529154

They seem to be getting very short tempered and frustrated. Think someone in his household needs to hide the knives before we announce Ben White’s new 4 year contract. Have they bought anyone yet apart from Costa who they had on loan and the ten year old looking goalkeeper?

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
I was walking my dog tonight when I bumped into a Leeds fan I know, he was adamant that Leeds would finish a clear mid-table in the 1st Division this season and Sheffield Utd would struggle to stay up, and he didn't want to talk to me about Brighton, his attitude was they are not worth talking about. Unpleasant chap really I am not sure why I speak to him, even his dog is arrogant.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
They seem to be getting very short tempered and frustrated. Think someone in his household needs to hide the knives before we announce Ben White’s new 4 year contract. Have they bought anyone yet apart from Costa who they had on loan and the ten year old looking goalkeeper?

They'd be doing the human race a favour if the made sure every knife in the household was razor sharp, even the butter knives.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
The fact they've been playing this style in the second tier, against many very weak teams compared to those in the prem, seems to have really passed them by

Not only that but they've also forogtten how badly they faded away last season as their players weren't fit enough. This season it looks like the 3 month lockdown break did them some good in that respect. Next season they've got try to play this magical style of theirs against some of the best players in the world. They'll be ****ed from chasing shadows before Christmas.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
There is a perfectly adequate Latin word for unique, unicus. You may have noticed the similarity to English, it is kind of hard to miss?
If only it were that simple...if you're going to be patronising it's best to be right.

The perfecly adequate Latin word for unique is singularis. Unicus can occasionaly be translated as 'unique' but it has more of the sense of 'single' or 'only' as in 'only child'.

If you're going to bandy ancient languages around NSC, you really need to bring your A game.

Or as Plato said: Φυκ οφ

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
If only it were that simple...if you're going to be patronising it's best to be right.

The perfecly adequate Latin word for unique is singularis. Unicus can occasionaly be translated as 'unique' but it has more of the sense of 'single' or 'only' as in 'only child'.

If you're going to bandy ancient languages around NSC, you really need to bring your A game.

Or as Plato said: Φυκ οφ

Ha ha ha!

I am no Classical scholar, I just studied Latin at school, (and have no Greek) but I don't think my definition of sui generis was at fault for all that.

Do you accept my contention that it doesn't just mean unique, although it does encompass the concept? And that it is therefore more than reasonable to use it as a discrete term?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
He would hate it. He's often dismissed that term as redolent of the need to soon make arrangements for your own funeral.

I'm aware of that, and also feel that it is a daft concept.

Maybe Mr Bennett is just a reminder here that good things can come out of Leeds. The remakes of Talking Heads recently were a reminder of that.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Having to do real, paid work this afternoon meant I was beaten to the punch regarding the sui generis nature of 3 1 3 1 3 - yeah, that certainly is unique (which would have done) what with it involving 12 men :)

But thanks for a considered, non-trolling reply which has probably put paid to the cries of "Palace!".

Norwich and Villa started off trying to play their way out of trouble but both massively struggled for goals. Pukki might have had his own way in the Championship but the PL defenders were far too good for him. Wesley struggled too (and was then never really replaced). I'm willing to bet that Bamford will be dealt with by every defence in this division so you'll need a striker - probably.

Probably?

You had goals from plenty of sources. This is where we (both Brighton and the Premier League) underestimated Sheffield United. An untried McBurnie and players in Sharp and McGoldrick who wouldn't particularly make you worry didn't seem that hard to deal with. But the way they play, using the 9 to hold it up while players from all over move forward, then making chippy little fouls to break it up and get back in position when they lost it, wasn't dealt with nearly well enough. The forwards got a few but they enabled chances and goals from Lundstram, Fleck and the wingbacks.

But (and sorry for this stereotype) I suspect many underestimated Sheffield United and their relatively under the radar journey from League One. The fact that you ARE the mighty Leeds United and were very much going up at the time of lockdown suspension leads me to suspect everyone will have been studying you hard. Does Bielsa have a Plan B? He'll need one.

Of course he does. It’s **** off to another club when it all goes inevitably tits-up.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Ha ha ha!

I am no Classical scholar, I just studied Latin at school, (and have no Greek) but I don't think my definition of sui generis was at fault for all that.

Do you accept my contention that it doesn't just mean unique, although it does encompass the concept? And that it is therefore more than reasonable to use it as a discrete term?

Do you except the contention that only a spanner of the highest order would start using Latin on a football message board when plain English is perfectly acceptable.
There is no point using Latin within your argument when a good 90% of us haven’t got a clue what it actually means. ‘Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should.’

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here