Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deluded Leeds (an EFL club) fans

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Do you except the contention that only a spanner of the highest order would start using Latin on a football message board when plain English is perfectly acceptable.
There is no point using Latin within your argument when a good 90% of us haven’t got a clue what it actually means. ‘Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should.’

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unless his english is sub-par and he doesn't want to think the two years he spent studying for a latin O'level were a complete waste of his time? Hypothetically of course. Que sera sera.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Ha ha ha!

I am no Classical scholar, I just studied Latin at school, (and have no Greek) but I don't think my definition of sui generis was at fault for all that.

Do you accept my contention that it doesn't just mean unique, although it does encompass the concept? And that it is therefore more than reasonable to use it as a discrete term?

hovercraft tuum plenum est anguillarum

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Ha ha ha!

I am no Classical scholar, I just studied Latin at school, (and have no Greek) but I don't think my definition of sui generis was at fault for all that.

Do you accept my contention that it doesn't just mean unique, although it does encompass the concept? And that it is therefore more than reasonable to use it as a discrete term?

Nope.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Here’s how it’s going to go , seen it so many times

Leeds with their Championship quality squad will come unstuck most weeks in the Prem and Bielsa will be clueless as what to do as he knows his squad is poor at Prem level

He’ll leave in a huff by Christmas with Leeds in the bottom 3 , and Big Sam will be appointed to save the day

Leeds fans will then have to watch a nice boring rigid 442 for the rest of the season .

Delightful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Here’s how it’s going to go , seen it so many times

Leeds with their Championship quality squad will come unstuck most weeks in the Prem and Bielsa will be clueless as what to do as he knows his squad is poor at Prem level

He’ll leave in a huff by Christmas with Leeds in the bottom 3 , and Big Sam will be appointed to save the day

Leeds fans will then have to watch a nice boring rigid 442 for the rest of the season .

Delightful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, I don't think they'll do that well.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
No, I don't think they'll do that well.

What....not even big Sam? Jesus Christ! you don’t think Pardew or Warnock can be tempted up to that dismal yard do you?

Maybe that knock off beardyTimmy Mallett featured on that podcast, with his hilarious day glo hat, can suggest a few names

Mr H

Mar 8, 2012
LA
Here is a review of a Bielsa biography.
A review which interestingly contains the phrase “sui generis”

“The Quality Of Madness - A life of Marcelo Bielsa by Tim Rich Quercus £20

Not everybody gets the biography they deserve, but Marcelo Bielsa has. And while doubtless aimed at Leeds United’s fanbase, there’s plenty in Tim Rich’s accomplished chronicle for a much wider public. Any Leeds fan who, perhaps understandably, turns straight to the final 80 pages will miss most of what explains how their idolised, idiosyncratic leader got that way.

Rich draws on well-chosen sources across three languages for a vivid, compelling narrative flowing easily from a fine opening. This places Bielsa firmly in the context of his native Rosario and a remarkable family. Grandfather Rafael Bielsa was a brilliant lawyer with an honourable record in difficult times. Marcelo’s younger brother, also Rafael, is another politically minded lawyer who survived the unpleasantly personal attentions of local military commander Leopoldo Galtieri to become Argentina’s foreign minister. It is as if, in British terms, one of the Benn or Hogg dynasties had gone into football.

Such privilege offers many life options but, as Rich says, Bielsa has “many interests, but only one passion – football”. He might have excelled in other fields. One telling anecdote has him delivering an acute shot-by-shot critique of a film director friend’s oeuvre.
This echoes Wall Street panjandrums reckoning Jürgen Klopp could run a Fortune 500 company, with further hints of Klopp in fearsome competitiveness and belief in hightempo football, although rather less empathy. Bielsa prefers to play golf alone and can pass a car journey with his team captain without exchanging words or eye contact.

There’s something of the wandering Hungarian Bela Guttmann in Bielsa’s intercontinental range and inability to stay long, although accounts of life at clubs like Vélez Sarsfield and Marseille explain why he is a rare manager who might regard Leeds as a haven of peace.

But he is essentially sui generis, a relentless intellect combined with demonic energy and inner drive enabling achievements like the massive, intensive talent hunts which countervailed the limited resources of his first, hometown, club Newell’s Old Boys and Atlas in Mexico. The tactical brain is fed by a colossal, ever-expanding film library. No football undercover mission was ever less necessary than spying on Derby last year, but for his compulsion to know even more.

The trophies are limited – Newell’s Old Boys’ two joyously recalled titles, another with Vélez and Argentina’s pitch-perfect gold at the 2004 Olympics. But his monument is tactical, in Argentinian terms a “middle way” between the brutalism of Carlos Bilardo and César Luis Menotti’s risk-taking fluidity, at a higher tempo than either with rapid transitions enabled by playing midfielders such as the Chilean Gary Medel in defence.

He has inspired disciples such as Mauricio Pochettino, just one of many former players whom Rich cites as talking “of how he has made them see football differently”. Very much a football life – his wife of 30 years and daughters appear just once in that rare and welcome thing, the index – this scores high whether tested for rigour, quality or readability.

Huw Richards”

ttgg

Aug 6, 2020
Not only that but they've also forogtten how badly they faded away last season as their players weren't fit enough. This season it looks like the 3 month lockdown break did them some good in that respect. Next season they've got try to play this magical style of theirs against some of the best players in the world. They'll be ****ed from chasing shadows before Christmas.

Fair point - who knows how things might have panned out although as we entered lockdown we had just won 5 on the bounce, so most fans were optimistic.

On the other hand, there was only one club in all 4 leagues who'd not won a single game in 2020 at that point. Remind me who that was again?

Pot-kettle!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The tactical brain is fed by a colossal, ever-expanding film library. No football undercover mission was ever less necessary than spying on Derby last year, but for his compulsion to know even more.

I can't square this hunger for research with the fact that Leeds could be forking out £18m for Augustin, a striker who was not even good enough for Championship football.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006

Not everybody gets the biography they deserve, but Marcelo Bielsa has. And while doubtless aimed at Leeds United’s fanbase, there’s plenty in Tim Rich’s accomplished chronicle for a much wider public. Any Leeds fan who, perhaps understandably, turns straight to the final 80 pages will miss most of what explains how their idolised, idiosyncratic leader got that way.

Rich draws on well-chosen sources across three languages for a vivid, compelling narrative flowing easily from a fine opening. This places Bielsa firmly in the context of his native Rosario and a remarkable family. Grandfather Rafael Bielsa was a brilliant lawyer with an honourable record in difficult times. Marcelo’s younger brother, also Rafael, is another politically minded lawyer who survived the unpleasantly personal attentions of local military commander Leopoldo Galtieri to become Argentina’s foreign minister. It is as if, in British terms, one of the Benn or Hogg dynasties had gone into football.

Such privilege offers many life options but, as Rich says, Bielsa has “many interests, but only one passion – football”. He might have excelled in other fields. One telling anecdote has him delivering an acute shot-by-shot critique of a film director friend’s oeuvre.
This echoes Wall Street panjandrums reckoning Jürgen Klopp could run a Fortune 500 company, with further hints of Klopp in fearsome competitiveness and belief in hightempo football, although rather less empathy. Bielsa prefers to play golf alone and can pass a car journey with his team captain without exchanging words or eye contact.

There’s something of the wandering Hungarian Bela Guttmann in Bielsa’s intercontinental range and inability to stay long, although accounts of life at clubs like Vélez Sarsfield and Marseille explain why he is a rare manager who might regard Leeds as a haven of peace.

But he is essentially sui generis, a relentless intellect combined with demonic energy and inner drive enabling achievements like the massive, intensive talent hunts which countervailed the limited resources of his first, hometown, club Newell’s Old Boys and Atlas in Mexico. The tactical brain is fed by a colossal, ever-expanding film library. No football undercover mission was ever less necessary than spying on Derby last year, but for his compulsion to know even more.

The trophies are limited – Newell’s Old Boys’ two joyously recalled titles, another with Vélez and Argentina’s pitch-perfect gold at the 2004 Olympics. But his monument is tactical, in Argentinian terms a “middle way” between the brutalism of Carlos Bilardo and César Luis Menotti’s risk-taking fluidity, at a higher tempo than either with rapid transitions enabled by playing midfielders such as the Chilean Gary Medel in defence.

He has inspired disciples such as Mauricio Pochettino, just one of many former players whom Rich cites as talking “of how he has made them see football differently”. Very much a football life – his wife of 30 years and daughters appear just once in that rare and welcome thing, the index – this scores high whether tested for rigour, quality or readability.

Huw Richards”

I don’t see how a football team run by a bowler hatted man who routinely goes into a fancy dress shop run by a fat man in a fez only to emerge from the dressing room in a suit of armour and proceed to engage in a bloodless feud with a dragon or an obese, short cigar chomping Stetson and white suit suited small town politician assisted by an incompetent speech impaired sheriff who spend their lives pursuing two confederate themed boy racers with a fit cousin would bring to the English game

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Fair point - who knows how things might have panned out although as we entered lockdown we had just won 5 on the bounce, so most fans were optimistic.

On the other hand, there was only one club in all 4 leagues who'd not won a single game in 2020 at that point. Remind me who that was again?

Pot-kettle!

Perhaps you would like to start a thread about it on a leeds forum ?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006

Huw Richards”

I don’t see how a football team run by a bowler hatted man who routinely goes into a fancy dress shop run by a fat man in a fez only to emerge from the dressing room in a suit of armour and proceed to engage in a bloodless feud with a dragon or an obese, short cigar chomping Stetson and white suit suited small town politician assisted by an incompetent speech impaired sheriff who spend their lives pursuing two confederate themed boy racers with a fit cousin would bring to the English game

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014

Pot-kettle!

Whatabouttery at its finest...

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham

Pot-kettle!

Isn't that the whole point of this thread we know we are in for a challenge to stay up and have struggled for 3 seasons as the new boys, no one here (OK might be 1 or 2 exceptions) believed we would not be fighting relegation for a number of seasons but Leeds fans seem to think they will walk the league?

So no, not pot and kettle.

ttgg

Aug 6, 2020
Isn't that the whole point of this thread we know we are in for a challenge to stay up and have struggled for 3 seasons as the new boys, no one here (OK might be 1 or 2 exceptions) believed we would not be fighting relegation for a number of seasons but Leeds fans seem to think they will walk the league?

So no, not pot and kettle.

Granted that may be the main point of your thread. I was simply replying to the guy who suggested we had probably benefited (fitness wise) from the enforced break by reminding him that on the face of it so had you! In fact we lost our first game back so that kinda negated his point anyway!

His point about our fitness levels was also a bit misguided. In the previous season our team and player stats for fitness etc.were actually better in games at the back end than they had been at the beginning. Lack of fitness is not why we fell apart, who knows what it was, certainly it wasn't help by some dodgy goalkeeping!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here