Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Might happen in Germany

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
EE?

Just need to get away for a week in Sept.....just spent last week decorating RIAT week already lost a holiday in April and sept has gone back to April 21 .....going stir crazy

Just sent you a WhatsApp.
We're in the same position, moved our Sept holiday to 2021, utter madness.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Channel tunnel is open and Shuttle is running.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
I'm off to Berlin Wednesday for a week for a birthday bash ,still won't believe it will happen till i walk through customs at Tegel.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
You shouldn't have any issues at the Netherlands/German border. It has remained open throughout the crisis as The Netherlands went off piste with their concept compared to most other EU countries. I 'assume' you'd cross via the E30 at Bad Bentheim? Random checks can be carried out but the chances of getting stopped are remote unless your vehicle raises a red flag. No different to before the crisis kicked off.

Hotels, bars and restaurants are open. No standing at bars. It’s quieter than normal as the tourist figures are massively down. Not great for the local tourist industry but makes it a whole lot more pleasurable if you are a tourist. Compliance with face covering law is high and without the refusenik drama of other places. Mandatory in shops and on local transport. Most bars and cafe now have a terrace. Most hotels require faces to be covered in communal areas and you should only get into a lift with members of your own household. Hotels (I think?) aren't operating a buffet system for breakfast either.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Anyone driven to Germany or Holland since lockdown was lifted? need to get away for a week and thinking of driving to Berlin again...(great city)

I tried responding to your PM yesterday but your inbox was full. Can you delete a few messages and I’ll retry.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So are the ferries......Im just wondering what hotels and restaurants are like?

In Berlin, restaurants are open and have been for over a couple of months now. aside from staff wearing masks and a few other minor details like the need to provide your contact details you wouldn’t know anything was different.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
#swindonseagull
How long do you leave yourself to drive over? I've done Cologne a couple of times which isn't too bad. Stay in Travelodge Ashford which is 20 mins to tunnel. Problem is losing that hour because of time difference but 9:20 shuttle I arrive late afternoon. About the same as going up north.
Berlin looks like a mid way stay over at 10 hours from Calais.
Fancy the German Christmas Markets for the last time prior to leaving the EU thus losing duty free and freedom of travel by car.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
#swindonseagull
How long do you leave yourself to drive over? I've done Cologne a couple of times which isn't too bad. Stay in Travelodge Ashford which is 20 mins to tunnel. Problem is losing that hour because of time difference but 9:20 shuttle I arrive late afternoon. About the same as going up north.
Berlin looks like a mid way stay over at 10 hours from Calais.
Fancy the German Christmas Markets for the last time prior to leaving the EU thus losing duty free and freedom of travel by car.

The wine warehouse at Calais has said their prices will not change after 31/12 I can’t remember if they said they remain duty free check their website!

Stocking up on wine is another good reason for going abroad.

We normally stay at the Premier Inn at Dover docks and get the ferry.

One drove from Swindon to Koblenz without a night stop !!! I was knackered, won’t go that again.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Drove to Belgium last week if that helps?

I went to Belgium last week as well, my holiday came and Ghent very quickly though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here