Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Watching old videos on the tellybox - solutions, advice sought

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have lots of old videos and a massive old video player. The latter takes up too much room. I looked online for a modern smaller videp player and I found all sorts of starge objects I don't understand including video to DVD converters (about 60 quid) and Scart to HDMI adaptor (eh?).

In homage to BG, may I ask the advice of the discerning lady or gentleman over what sort of thing to buy?

The simplest solution would be a smaller video player that connects via an HDMI cable to the telly.

Alternatively (for when I retire) a box that I can shove in a video and burn on to dvd.

Why? I have some cracking old telly on video, and indeed old BHA vids, that I'd like to be able to keep and watch, and videos and the old player take up too much space.

I thank you.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
If you only watch Videos occasionally why not just have a VCR you can dig out and have a watch now and again - then retire it to the loft?

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
You are looking at about £300 for a combined VHS* and DVD recorder (play the tape in one slot, it records to DVD in the other slot). You will need to check the dimensions - with 2 slots, it may be just as big as your existing tape-only machine.

This sort of thing - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DMR-EZ47-Recorder-Combination-Up-Conversion/dp/B000QDENXG/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&qid=1595018517&refinements=p_89%3APanasonic&s=home-theater&sr=1-1

*unless you have Betamax - I would say you are stuffed if that is the case.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You are looking at about £300 for a combined VHS* and DVD recorder (play the tape in one slot, it records to DVD in the other slot). You will need to check the dimensions - with 2 slots, it may be just as big as your existing tape-only machine.

This sort of thing - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DMR-EZ47-Recorder-Combination-Up-Conversion/dp/B000QDENXG/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&qid=1595018517&refinements=p_89%3APanasonic&s=home-theater&sr=1-1

*unless you have Betamax - I would say you are stuffed if that is the case.

Many thanks. I think I'll revisit this one after I retire. One problem with VHS of course is whether you want to play it or transfer it, the fastest you can do it is in real time. Cheers :thumbsup:

Music City Gull

Not Changing This, Bozza
Jun 28, 2020
12 South
I have lots of old videos and a massive old video player. The latter takes up too much room. I looked online for a modern smaller videp player and I found all sorts of starge objects I don't understand including video to DVD converters (about 60 quid) and Scart to HDMI adaptor (eh?).

In homage to BG, may I ask the advice of the discerning lady or gentleman over what sort of thing to buy?

The simplest solution would be a smaller video player that connects via an HDMI cable to the telly.

Alternatively (for when I retire) a box that I can shove in a video and burn on to dvd.

Why? I have some cracking old telly on video, and indeed old BHA vids, that I'd like to be able to keep and watch, and videos and the old player take up too much space.

I thank you.

I just noticed you’re in faversham but I did a quick google search for Brighton and there are several companies that will convert the vhs for you if you’re interested. One of those things once it’s converted you’re done with it and no longer have to deal with the vhs aspect, plus you can digitize it and easily pass down to family as a file. No sure if the vhs stuff is stuff you want to keep for family, etc. but if so checking out a company like that might be worth it in the long run, plus you no longer have to worry about getting any sort of machine you then have to either get rid of or store. Just my two cents.

Here is an example of one company
http://www.videoimageprod.co.uk/brighton-vhs-to-dvd-conversion-service/

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
im afraid the VHS-DVD-R combo boxes recognise copy protection, at least the one i have from some years ago. best to just find a VCR of suitable size with HDMI out (if these exist). long term its a case of finding some set up to output the VHS into a seperate DVD-R, maybe a computer/laptop to transfer.

to add i think in the end we binned off most our VHS on basis we never watch, or on telly once a year, those we want are cheaper to replace on DVD in sales. and with Musicmagpie etc most DVD can be got for a few quid good condition.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I just noticed you’re in faversham but I did a quick google search for Brighton and there are several companies that will convert the vhs for you if you’re interested. One of those things once it’s converted you’re done with it and no longer have to deal with the vhs aspect, plus you can digitize it and easily pass down to family as a file. No sure if the vhs stuff is stuff you want to keep for family, etc. but if so checking out a company like that might be worth it in the long run, plus you no longer have to worry about getting any sort of machine you then have to either get rid of or store. Just my two cents.

Here is an example of one company
http://www.videoimageprod.co.uk/brighton-vhs-to-dvd-conversion-service/
If he's got a lot of videos, doing it this way will cost shedloads more than buying a converter!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
im afraid the VHS-DVD-R combo boxes recognise copy protection, at least the one i have from some years ago. best to just find a VCR of suitable size with HDMI out (if these exist). long term its a case of finding some set up to output the VHS into a seperate DVD-R, maybe a computer/laptop to transfer.

to add i think in the end we binned off most our VHS on basis we never watch, or on telly once a year, those we want are cheaper to replace on DVD in sales. and with Musicmagpie etc most DVD can be got for a few quid good condition.

Thanks. I'll look for a small vhs player with HDMI out. Transfer will be another job for retirment (ditto digitizing some vinyl that has never been released on CD or uploaded onto youtube and other more hairy-arsed sites).

It is the self-recorded off the telly stuff I want to keep. Cheers!

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Maybe there is a need for a [History] tag rather than [Technology] for this sort of thing?

I appreciate the BG reference and good luck in your quest...

Herr Ing Gull

Sep 3, 2014
If you have a camcorder you can use that to convert vhs to a digital file. You need an adaptor from scart to whatever the camcorder input is. Then connect the camcorder output to your computer. It's a bit of work up as you have to do it in real time. I only had a couple of hours worth. But it is cheap!

I think there may have been some free software involved as well - it was a couple of years ago and I haven't got the laptop anymore so can't be more precise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I've got a VHS to DVD machine. I converted all my tapes a while back. I used to set it going at bedtime and let it run.

Be careful what you buy, there are machines that are marketed as DVD/VHS player/recorders that only play DVDs, they don't write them.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

I thank you.

Most decent TVs no longer have scart sockets in the back, replacing them with smaller, thinner, modern standards (HDMI). Most VCR machines will pre-date HDMI and so a Scart-to-HDMI converter would almost certainly be part of any setup going to old player to new TV.

As said by others you want a DVD recorder and a VCR, connected via HDMI and go through a slow process of moving everything to DVD... Or skip one stage and connect the VCR to a laptop via a decoder and digitise the whole lot (you are then free to burn dvds if wanted).

I did this to my old VCR collection about 15 years ago. One tape per evening while you do other things and it'll be done before you know it. (Then a little editing/trimming) as a longer term project. (80s TV still had adverts to be cut out if you have the patience!)

BHAFCLive

Sep 21, 2018

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here