Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alex Dawson

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Only 80? I was about 12 when I first saw him play for us and I thought that he'd had a long career with Man U - played after Munich. He was a good player for us - it was as if he had a boot on his forehead, the amount of power he managed to get. RIP Alex.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That's sad to hear - he was a hell of a player. The last forward I remember who genuinely terrified goalkeepers

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
R I P Alex. I First saw him play at Old Trafford alongside a Bobby Charlton with hair when I was working for a few months in Manchester. I remember his matches at the Goldstone when he always made a point of intimidating the opposition goal keeper as all good "old fashioned" centre forwards did in the days before football went soft. One of the unsung greats of the game.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Thought it was the poster at first

RIP Alex

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
My first ever Albion Hero.

As a kid, sitting on the North Stand wall, the sight of Alex coming thundering in to meet a corner, ready to take ball, keeper and any defender around, into the back of the net, was the most frightening sight I had seen in my life.

Very sad news. RIP Alex

alex-dawson.jpg

el punal

As a kid, sitting on the North Stand wall, the sight of Alex coming thundering in to meet a corner, ready to take ball, keeper and any defender around, into the back of the net, was the most frightening sight I had seen in my life.

Very sad news. RIP Alex

You and I with very similar memories. :thumbsup:

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009

Very sad news. RIP Alex

Exactly this.
These are exactly my early memories of Alex in the muddy North Stand goalmouth in the late 60's.
A real eye opener for a 13year old
RIP Alex

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Always recall his winner against Portsmouth in the League Cup in front of a packed Goldstone under the floodlights in 1969. My first memory of the Albion beating a team from a higher division (and a rare highlight in the League Cup)

RIP

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Great player. Would be red carded every game in today's football.
RIP Mr Dawson.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Good player in the time he was with us although spent most of his career with Preston. Had a decent goals to game ratio from what I can remember in the late 60's. RIP Alex.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Drafted into the Man Utd First team as a youngster after Munich. What a powerhouse he was! Remember him playing for Preston with Nobby Lawton in the 64 cup final. He was the best ever replacement for Bobby Smith we could ever have wished for. No prisoners! There are some wonderful pics of him around. He will be fondly remembered by all who had the privilege of watching him in action. Hell’s goalie in the annual Saints v Sinners match had better look out.
RIP Alex.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here