Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 40% crowds in October?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Boris Johnson has confirmed that fans could return to stadiums in the UK in October, providing they pass a series of successful trials to ensure safety measures.

The Independent understands Premier League clubs are hoping to fill grounds to 40 per cent capacity next season and has set up a working group with the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport on the issue.

The reducing of social distancing guidelines to one metre means fans could, in theory, be spread between every other seat, but there are concerns that supporters sitting at diagonal angles would still be a risk. Tickets will likely be distributed to season ticket holders via a ballot system.

There are also further anxieties over how fans would travel to and from stadiums, while it’s likely attendees would have to wear a facemask due to the likelihood of shouting and singing.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...ckdown-sporting-stadiums-reopen-a9624276.html

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Great we can all get to watch.

Those that are always late and those that always insist on leaving early can be equally accommodated.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Seems positive.

However elsewhere being reported only 25% capacity and PL clubs not keen to be choosing some fans over others and logistics of a ballot system ‘problematic’

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
See where we are in October

Australia was getting 20 cases a day a month ago, today 400

Need to be very careful

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
All or nothing for me. I travel some distance, with friends and family and it is part of the whole matchday experience. Four of us attend together and meet other friends at the ground. None of our group would attend individually. A long journey, on your own, back and forth and a much reduced matchday experience simply doesn't offer enough. If it means waiting for 21/22, then, so be it.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I'm guessing not many clubs are in the position that Brighton are that it is pretty much public transport unless you can do Shanks's pony to get to the ground. That does make even a 40% attendance problematic, I guess.

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
bit of a minefield isnt it ? , the club would need to ask fans to choose which games they want go to , so that they dont get tickets for a game they cant attend ,or travel together with their family/friend etc

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not sure a ballot is the way forward in this instance, unless successful applicants have to agree to sit in seats pre-allocated by the club. Else statistical likelihood is that there will be some localised clumps of fans sat in close proximity to each other while some other areas remain sparsely populated. Besides, unless there's some kind of family and friends bubble in place, how many people would really want to be sat by themselves? Wishing them well, but will have to be one supersmart solution to keep everybody relatively happy.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
While it dont really affect me personally, it would be nice if that happened since it means were not all dying or locked up in October.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Interesting as England v Wales was announced as friendly in October as 'behind closed doors' - so wonder if they'll use that as a test event

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Mind you this is from Boris, who today is going to tell everyone they should go back to work, the day after his lead scientist said he saw no reason to change the work from home mantra.

Boris is clearly playing fast and loose with pushing for crowds at a time of year when there is a perceived risk of an upsurge in infection.

Apologies if that makes it sound like a political statement, but that is precisely what it is.... Yet more confusing messages from our masters

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I think 100% capacity much more likely.

Infection rate at 1 in 4000 and dropping means 40% capacity or 100% makes little difference in reality.

If there is reduced capacity this will be a tokenistic measure designed to engender confidence.

Unless rates increase between now and then.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Not sure a ballot is the way forward in this instance, unless successful applicants have to agree to sit in seats pre-allocated by the club. Else statistical likelihood is that there will be some localised clumps of fans sat in close proximity to each other while some other areas remain sparsely populated. Besides, unless there's some kind of family and friends bubble in place, how many people would really want to be sat by themselves? Wishing them well, but will have to be one supersmart solution to keep everybody relatively happy.

No way will any solution keep every one happy imho

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Makes sense , could probably do it now without issue

those that miss the ballot can hang around the pubs.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The stadium can be made relatively safe I guess, but I'm still not too keen on the idea of squeezing on and off a train. Will see how the land lies in October and make a judgement call then I suppose.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I go to games to spend time with my old man. I would go to a full capacity game on my ones, but not a sanitised (literally) stadium with zero atmosphere.

Add in travelling from london, i'd happily allow somebody else to go in my place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here