Votes: 91 74.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Oh dear!

I am going to have to go back through the family photo albums and burn all the pictures of the matching cardies and jumpers my mum knitted for us in ****** brown - as this was the colour of the wool she used!

My mum didn't have a racist bone in her body, so couldn't understand why a local shopkeeper told her "sorry Madam, we don't sell that colour brown wool", my mum, producing the wool label said "well you did last time" - how times change, eh!

Indeed, I believe that renowned Kiwi once produced a tin of polish in the very same shade.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I think the worry here is about how many people are offended. Obviously, all decent people are offended by the idea of calling black people ++++++s, but what other harmless - or even much loved - objects will soon be demolished or obliterated just because a few odd-balls are outraged and everybody is afraid to stand up and say 'That's bollox' because of the fear of being branded as not politically correct?

We need to fight racism all the way, with the aim of eventually eliminating it altogether, absolutely 100% yes - but you aren't going to end racism by pulling down statues or digging up old gravestones.

I guess you won't be able to give anybody a ' black look ' ...or descend into a ' black mood '.....or ' blacken ' someone's character...I guess we are going to lose the name of a much loved garden bird. We will probably lose a particularly nice ' Blacky Ham ' You won't be able to travel in a ' Black Maria ' and a punch in the face will have to result in a ' discoloured ' eye. The Black Country will have to get used to being the West Midlands and if you indulge in judo, well you will just have to aspire to the other belt colours. All a tad tongue in cheek but don't be surprised if we start losing one or two old favourites.....Blackboards disappeared from classrooms some time ago, along with songs like...' Ba Ba Black Sheep '

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
So I wonder what that is considered acceptable today will not be accepted in the years to come and so will need to be hidden or changed to meet changed attitudes.

We can’t change what has been - the past can however serve to remind us that what was considered acceptable at a time in the past is not only not acceptable now but also why it’s not acceptable.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
I guess you won't be able to give anybody a ' black look ' ...or descend into a ' black mood '.....or ' blacken ' someone's character...I guess we are going to lose the name of a much loved garden bird. We will probably lose a particularly nice ' Blacky Ham ' You won't be able to travel in a ' Black Maria ' and a punch in the face will have to result in a ' discoloured ' eye. The Black Country will have to get used to being the West Midlands and if you indulge in judo, well you will just have to aspire to the other belt colours. All a tad tongue in cheek but don't be surprised if we start losing one or two old favourites.....Blackboards disappeared from classrooms some time ago, along with songs like...' Ba Ba Black Sheep '

Don't forget to cease using the the m***** verb also .

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Are they right to change the headstone of the dog's grave? On balance, yes.

There is now a movement to revisit the suitability of monuments in this country, and it would be wrong if the achievements of 617 Squadron were tainted by an ongoing association with racism.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Why is it ok to refer to these sort of words by an initial letter followed by a series of stars. After all the reader either knows the word or has no clue what it means. In the former case the recipient has been exposed to the word which is surely is as bad as reading it in full?

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I think we are conflating two things here, a) the rewriting of history and b) the impact that our past still has on people today.

Nobody is suggesting that we should not forget that Guy Gibson and his crew had a dog named after a racial slur. Equally, nobody is suggesting that what those young men did in service for their country was not heroic.

However, we have to ask what impact seeing the gravestone has on a person of colour today. If that is negative and in anyway celebrates a past that we are trying to change (not rewrite) then it should come down.

It is perfectly reasonable to expect that had there been any grandchildren or great grandchildren of Gibson and co would feel the same way. Hell, if Gibson had survived and his child had married a person of colour I am sure that he himself would have taken the thing down.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Approximately how many people are on your ignore list H, am I on there ?. :cool:

1. About 20. Several of whom are now banned anyway.
2. Obviously not :lolol:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
there are thousands of usually rap or hip hop songs containing the dogs name , so if you do this then surely you would have to ban completely the word itself , though apparently I'm one of my black mates (insert dogs name )chums , even though I'm snow white. :shrug:

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
We can remember the history of something/somewhere/someone without celebrating aspects of that history.

So, no. The name of the dog isn't important and can be sidelined but that shouldn't be at the expense of remembering the contribution the dog made.

Likewise, as it happens, philanthropists who made money in unsavoury ways... We can remember them without celebrating them.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Does history need to be erased?

Please, no fighting or slanging, just polite and non aggressive debate.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-53436447

One can’t erase the past. It defies the laws of quantum physics.

Besides , the dog’s name has been edited out of any screenings of the film since 1998. Get over it.

It’s a shame the racist members of NSC are allowed to keep posting these fishing threads. Mods, do your job please. Not much is asked of you.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
there are thousands of usually rap or hip hop songs containing the dogs name , so if you do this then surely you would have to ban completely the word itself , though apparently I'm one of my black mates (insert dogs name )chums , even though I'm snow white. :shrug:

It's perfectly acceptable in modern culture (actually not that modern, for 30 or 40 years at least) for an offensive epithet used against an oppressed minority to be taken back and used in irony, jest or mateship.

Exactly why some of the permanent members of the Bear Pit now refer to each other as "my ham".

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I think the worry here is about how many people are offended. Obviously, all decent people are offended by the idea of calling black people ++++++s, but what other harmless - or even much loved - objects will soon be demolished or obliterated just because a few odd-balls are outraged and everybody is afraid to stand up and say 'That's bollox' because of the fear of being branded as not politically correct?

We need to fight racism all the way, with the aim of eventually eliminating it altogether, absolutely 100% yes - but you aren't going to end racism by pulling down statues or digging up old gravestones.

No one thinks it will end racism, it's about causing offence. As has already been noted, what type of person gets irate about a statue they have only learned, exists :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here