Votes: 91 74.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That's done for the Dambusters film in it's original format then, where the dog in question gets multiple name checks

Isn't there already a version, where all instances of his name, have been dubbed with 'Nipper'.?

It isn't a MASSIVE big deal, is it? It doesn't exactly alter the narrative of the film!

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I think that if we were to re-write the past we would be unable to learn the errors of our ways to correct the present and change the future for good.
Leave it, learn from it and eradicate all forms of prejudice and oppression.

Spot on. So simple and yet over the last few months incredible how so many people cannot work that out or in some cases ignore it to suit their skewed agenda.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Normally I'd be very much on the side of a statue is a snapshot in time and not a social commentary on 21st century Britain and they should be let be. In this case though, the dog didn't fly over the dams, didn't drop the bombs or make the sacrifice (I know it got run over) the statue is not to commemorate the dog and the name is offensive. It does no harm to remove that portion in this particular case. The statue is still there. If on the other hand they wanted to remove the statue itself for glorifying war or upsetting Germans or something then I'm very much team outraged.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think the worry here is about how many people are offended. Obviously, all decent people are offended by the idea of calling black people ++++++s, but what other harmless - or even much loved - objects will soon be demolished or obliterated just because a few odd-balls are outraged and everybody is afraid to stand up and say 'That's bollox' because of the fear of being branded as not politically correct?

We need to fight racism all the way, with the aim of eventually eliminating it altogether, absolutely 100% yes - but you aren't going to end racism by pulling down statues or digging up old gravestones.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Isn't there already a version, where all instances of his name, have been dubbed with 'Nipper'.?

It isn't a MASSIVE big deal, is it? It doesn't exactly alter the narrative of the film!

Dam Busters dog renamed for movie remake

I was going to post the BBC link with the above headline but unfortunately the dog's original name pops right in there in the link title for all to see :facepalm:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Think we've got bigger things to worry about right now....

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The said name was very common place back in those days. Cats would often have it.

Years ago I was doing work on a project for a charitable group who did a feature in their magazine on pet cemeteries. They had a picture of an old gravestone. I pointed out that some other stones were in view one of which had this name on as a beloved pet...

For me, history only serves two purposes, to be learnt from (and make amends if needed) or to hold on to and sometimes celebrate what is good.

The idea that you cannot change the past is right, but you are not forced to continue with its effects. As reserved as I feel about the idea, removing statues to slave traders and dodgy headstones makes a statement about the future- and that is where we are headed.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I think the comment from the MP Sir Edward Leigh:

"I am, however, very fearful of our ability today to erase or re-write history. The past needs to be explained, taught about, and learned from - not re-written."

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
You can’t change history, but you can change our interpretation of it.

I would certainly feel happier if we changed the history taught in schools to encompass the excesses of the British empire.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
old.jpg

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Oh dear!

I am going to have to go back through the family photo albums and burn all the pictures of the matching cardies and jumpers my mum knitted for us in ****** brown - as this was the colour of the wool she used!

My mum didn't have a racist bone in her body, so couldn't understand why a local shopkeeper told her "sorry Madam, we don't sell that colour brown wool", my mum, producing the wool label said "well you did last time" - how times change, eh!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here