• Unnecessary, you cannot change the past

Votes: 91 74.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
I think that if we were to re-write the past we would be unable to learn the errors of our ways to correct the present and change the future for good.
Leave it, learn from it and eradicate all forms of prejudice and oppression.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
removing headstones doesnt change the past, doesnt make up for the past, does nothing positive. it makes some people feel they've made a difference while not doing anything constructive.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'd default to the opinions of black people. If the consensus is that they don't care one way or the other, then don't bother. [MENTION=599]beorhthelm[/MENTION] is right in that it doesn't change the past, but on the other hand if it is offensive to people today, what is the point in keeping it?

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
History is always political. You can't change the facts but you can chose which areas you wish to highlight and celebrate.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Completely and utterly wrong
It was the name of a much loved pet in the 1940s - what possible exception could anyone take now ?
You CANNOT, nor should you try to, rewrite history.
Will they try and change the name of the village of "Blackboys" next ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Where is the poll option for 'It is an 80 year-old headstone for a dog. Who gives a toss?'

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Going a step too far for me. Guy Gibson's dog was called ++++++, because it was of a colour then known as ++++++ brown. It's ridiculous that I even have to censor myself by using +s for fear of abuse and possible sanctions if I don't. I wouldn't dream of calling anybody that name, or use it in an aggressive or abusive manner - but historically it's a fact that it was the name of someone's much loved pet dog.
Even if you're condemning the use of the word, you're still not allowed to write, for example, "Calling someone a ++++++ is wrong and disgusting".

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'd default to the opinions of black people. If the consensus is that they don't care one way or the other, then don't bother. [MENTION=599]beorhthelm[/MENTION] is right in that it doesn't change the past, but on the other hand if it is offensive to people today, what is the point in keeping it?

This.

As part of my annual review I am reviewing my ignore list.

This is a fishing thread posted by someone I will continue to keep on ignore.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

End of thread seems an apt reply to this comment.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
As long as all rap songs with the same word in them are banned from broadcast I’ll be OK with it, if not then nah leave it

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Completely and utterly wrong
It was the name of a much loved pet in the 1940s - what possible exception could anyone take now ?
You CANNOT, nor should you try to, rewrite history.
Will they try and change the name of the village of "Blackboys" next ?

Why on earth would 'they'?

It isn't in any way an unacceptable term, and specifically in this case, refers to people working in the local charcoal industry.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Exactly but the way that things seem to be spiralling I'm sure that the name will become questioned ?

Well, what is the problem then? Questioning 'things' is good. 'Things' sometimes need to be questioned.

In this particular case, 'they' can question what the name means, can find out the perfectly inoffensive answer, and get on with life, happy.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
48jwrx.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here