Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Making a Will ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Always something you want to put off for ever but both me and wife need to sort one out. As my wife is shielding does anyone know if it can all be done online and if so are there any companies you lads and lasses could give me the nod on.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
You have given me a little shiver, it's something I need to do too. I always felt that writing a will was for old people, suddenly I realise I AM an old person. :down:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
It depends how complicated your family situation is. You can write a will yourself naming your executors or the other end of the scale is to pay a solicitor. There are will writing companies.
My other half was in a Union when we wrote ours, so did it through the Union with their legal bods.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
It depends how complicated your family situation is. You can write a will yourself naming your executors or the other end of the scale is to pay a solicitor. There are will writing companies.
My other half was in a Union when we wrote ours, so did it through the Union with their legal bods.

And how complicated you want your will to be. If you are just leaving everything to one or two people - don't pay for a solicitor, just do it yourself. Yes there are guides online. If you are wanting more complicated things like trusts or such-like - it is wise to consult a Solicitor. What we did was explain roughly what we wanted - they drafted something up, we paid for that work and then finished it off / changed it and so on later on. That is - we paid for the advice we wanted, but stopped short of paying them to write the actual words.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Always something you want to put off for ever but both me and wife need to sort one out. As my wife is shielding does anyone know if it can all be done online and if so are there any companies you lads and lasses could give me the nod on.

Can I have your hat?

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
£10 online, as long as it’s countersigned by two witnesses it will do the trick and can be amended down the line for a small fee. Plenty of online companies, you complete your details etc., print and get it witnessed and can log back into your account whenever to make amendments.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

We used the Cats Protection League ( yes I know it sounds strange ! ). Many charities will do them for 'free' just as long as they are straight forward and you leave at least £1k in your will each to the charity. No up front cost.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

We've done ours through Unite :)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Very easy to do, as others have mentioned above.

Just don't keep putting it off.

Was it Groucho Marx who said " I do not wish to achieve immortality through my work, I'd rather do it by not dying "

Jul 7, 2003
We did ours as part of a charity will week for the local hospice. You don't pay the solicitor as they donate their fee to the hospice but also you do not have to make any donation in your will to the charity

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
You can easily write a will while shielding.
However, the will must be witnessed - 2 people in the room watching your wife sign the will document, they then add their details at the end of the will to confirm your wife actually signed it in the presence.
I don't know where the law stands on this - maybe the witnesses can view through the window from outside and then the document immediately passed through the window for them to sign as witnesses.
Pretty sure Skype or other video witnessing would not be good enough - speak to a solicitor and pose the "witness for someone shielding" question to them - should be okay to advise for free over the phone #maybe.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
I am also in the process of getting one sorted, via the law firm my dad worked for in Dorset. I'm doing it remotely of course as i'm not in the country but it's pretty straight forward. You'll complete a Will Information Form then depending on how complicated the Will is going to be (such as your family situation and how/where your assets are spread/Trust requirements etc) you might need some telephone/video call time with the solicitor, which will make the process more expensive.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
You can easily write a will while shielding.
However, the will must be witnessed - 2 people in the room watching your wife sign the will document, they then add their details at the end of the will to confirm your wife actually signed it in the presence.
I don't know where the law stands on this - maybe the witnesses can view through the window from outside and then the document immediately passed through the window for them to sign as witnesses.
Pretty sure Skype or other video witnessing would not be good enough - speak to a solicitor and pose the "witness for someone shielding" question to them - should be okay to advise for free over the phone #maybe.

It's become a bone of contention during lockdown, as the govt haven't amended to allow for video-witnessing or digital signatures of wills. It's still possible to do whilst shielding/distancing, but just not as easy as rocking up in the same room as previous.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
We used the Cats Protection League ( yes I know it sounds strange ! ). Many charities will do them for 'free' just as long as they are straight forward and you leave at least £1k in your will each to the charity. No up front cost.

Just one word of caution with using or leaving bequests to charities. Some of the bigger ones now have legal teams that will try to increase the amount left in the will on the basis of time elapsed and inflation, or any other excuse they can find (arguing that it was the intention of the deceased to leave 'that proportion' to them).

Having been executor, I have come across it once and have to say I was both amazed and disgusted by the way they went about it. (And I'm certainly not talking about the Cats Protection League).

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here