Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Do We Really Need a New Glenn Murray?

AlbionInUs

Oct 11, 2019
US
I assume that we will be in for another striker during the window, as we only have 3 senior strikers (Maupay, Connolly, & Glenn). Most on here believe that we should get a 25ish year old Glenn Murray. Players like Vedat Muriqi (26), Sebastian Andersson (29), etc. have been thrown around. I think we should/will sign another Maupay/Connolly type player that will run for ages, rather than a 190cm Target man. Nobody doubts Glenn Murray’s quality, but he just doesn’t seem to fit with the type of strikers GP wants to use. Would a quality target man really be that much better than GM? GM scored 25 goals in our first 2 seasons in the prem, we would have to spend £30m+ for a 25 yr old version.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Where have all the paragraphs gone?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
In theory, no, but if we could somehow get someone of his ilk AND has pace and good feet, then they could well fit into the Potter system.

Problem is, you're probably looking at over £50m for that kind of player...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In theory, no, but if we could somehow get someone of his ilk AND has pace and good feet, then they could well fit into the Potter system.

Perhaps we should turn White into a 20 goal a season striker.
It'll be good to hear them from that there Yorkshire take credit for that as well.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
hope for a different type of forward with the way we play under Potter, we certainly need one or two.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
111 goals in 284 games for the club. Technically great. Good on the floor and in the air. Heads the ball brilliantly. Wins fouls for fun. **** yes - we need a younger Glenn Murray.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Not really.
Citeh, Dippers & Manure don't have mahoosive forwards, only smaller ones that score goals.
They seem to do alright.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
gp used mcburnie to great effect in his system at swansea, so he has previous for working with the murray-type player. first and foremost we need a goalscorer, but I can see how having some physicality might help. there have been games this season where maupay has just been completely marked out the game by big physical centre halfs, and i just think it would be useful in general to have a different type of player to the maupays and connollys that we've relied on, just to mix it up a little.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Having a different type of striker gives you more options to change the pattern of a game. A top team dont need a big striker in their squad these days but to everyone else I think its healthy to have one. Shouldnt be a big investment though and not suitable for all games, so it needs to be someone who accepts a fair amount of time on the bench.

Potter always had a big striker in his ÖFK squad (and McBurnie in Swansea), so I'd expect a player like that to arrive. Sebastian Andersson is probably not a bad bet, likely fairly cheap and scored the most headed goals of any player in the top 5 leagues this season.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Murray's legs are gone. They were gone this season and pretty much the same last season. Absurd to keep him on the books for one more crock around the block

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think that under Potter the main attributes will be quick, hardworking with good feet (like Maupay and Connolly). A bit of physical presence would be a big benefit, but I don't necessarily think that will be one of the most important attributes that we'll be looking for.

So no, I don't think we are looking for a new Glenn Murray. His ability to finish chances would be nice though.

(And with Maupay and Connolly only being 23 and 19, barring injuries, it may take some player to regularly force his way into a starting eleven over the next season or two)

Last edited:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
We definitely need a new striker...but then we've said this every off-season for what feels like yonks.

Whether we need a direct replacement for Murray remains to be seen...we don't play to the strengths of a player like Glenn, but it's definitely a good option to have should we need someone to 'go long' to, or hold the ball up - in that regard, there's few better than Glenn.
They'd need to be aware that if they are a Glenn replacement, they may be spending some time on the sidelines waiting for a chance or a scenario to appear.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane

Especially when you consider that relative donkey Haller that West Ham got for £45m

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
We need a plan B. Better teams don't, they just batter you in to submission. But a different option up front would clearly make a difference in certain games.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
I think that under Potter the main attributes will be quick, hardworking with good feet (like Maupay and Connolly). A bit of physical presence would be a big benefit, but I don't necessarily think that will be one of the most important attributes that we'll be looking for.

So no, I don't think we are looking for a new Glenn Murray. His ability to finish chances would be nice though.

(And with Maupay and Connolly only being 23 and 19, barring injuries, it may take some player to regularly force his way into a starting eleven over the next season or two)

I would hazard a guess that an Anthony Martial type of player would be a perfect fit for Potter up front?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here