Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Bands/artists with a long-ish career: name a brilliant final/recent album and a honker.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have been listening and musing to Black Star by Bowie and Magic Whip by Blur a fair bit these past days. Both are fantastic albums. But The Clash’s final long player was a bit, er, crap.

So, name a brilliant album and a crap one, obvs by different artists. You can interpret the rules how you want. I’m hoping for some good recommendations and some giggles at the shit ones.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Obviously came here to mention Blackstar. I’ll have a think on others.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Obviously came here to mention Blackstar. I’ll have a think on others.

I’ve revisited it recently....it’s quite an album isn’t it?

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
The two most recent albums by Gary Numan, Splinter and Savage (in particular) are absolute stonkers. Both grungey industrial synth with Middle Eastern flavours.

Try My Name Is Ruin from Savage as an example.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Guided By Voices most recent 2 albums 'Sweating The Plague' and 'Surrender Your Poppyfield' are up there with their best work and are their 28th and 29th studio albums, front man Robert Pollard having released over 100.

I have no intention of listening to all of Mark Kozelek, "All The Best Issac Hayes", I've tried. This despite liking/ loving all of his 30 previous releases.

There's a new Tricky album coming out soon, that may well end up in either camp.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Talking Heads saved the worst for last with 'Naked'. Not an absolutely terrible album but, along with True Stories, not a patch on their first 6 albums.

More of a crushing disappointment than a honker and in some ways that's worse.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Lou Reed.

Rock 'n ' roll animal is stunning.

Lulu (with Metallica) is dog shit.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Lou Reed.

Rock 'n ' roll animal is stunning.

Lulu (with Metallica) is dog shit.

God year, forgot about Lulu. That’s one truly appalling, and bizarre, album. What were they thinking?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
U2's first album was sublime.....

Let's check their latest offering...

:ohmy:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Van Morrison

Astral Weeks

Pay the Devil is proof that he is shit at Country Music

I may have fecked up here - Astral Weeks is not a recent album :rolleyes:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Talking of Metallica...

Hardwired... to Self-Destruct was, compared to Death Magnetic and St. Anger, a real return to form. In fact I'd argue it's better than both Load and Reload as well.
And talking of Metallica again look at this beauty on its way soon. Would have given my left testicle to have attended the gigs but had to settle for the local cinema showing.

As for Metallica stinker albums pretty universally accepted that St Anger takes the award. A solo free, snare drum from hell self indulgent mess. The only redeeming features being that the title track and Frantic have would really well live. Similarly, the acoustic reworking of All Within My Hands which features on S&M's is brilliant.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Van Morrison

Astral Weeks

Pay the Devil is proof that he is shit at Country Music

I may have fecked up here - Astral Weeks is not a recent album :rolleyes:

No you did it right. And the OP said we can make up our own rules :rolleyes:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I KNOW I'll get slated by the purists but I loved and still love 'OK Computer'. 'Kid A' I found unlistenable

Not sure if I have followed the strict criteria for contributions. I found it all a bit complicated tbh :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I KNOW I'll get slated by the purists but I loved and still love 'OK Computer'. 'Kid A' I found unlistenable

Not sure if I have followed the strict criteria for contributions. I found it all a bit complicated tbh :shrug:

Strange. Love them both. :shrug:

Yours, a purist.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here