Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Hideaway Archer breaches Lockdown

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Comparing it to Sterling brings race unnecessarily into the debate. I would think it quite clear that the comments were about his being fast tracked into the England squad. The Chief Executive of West Indies cricket accused England of poaching when they reduced the residency requirement to allow him to be picked. He is not a racist as far as I know.
Further, I wonder if some of what you call OTT comment is due to a sense of embarrassment. West Indies have done cricket (and specifically English cricket) a huge favour by playing this series and any rules put in place would have had the aim of making our visitors feel comfortable in visiting our plague infested country. I know WI will have been well remunerated but I am still grateful they are here. It’s a shame if any of our players cannot follow a simple set of rules.

I'm aware it brings race into it. See below from the time he was brought into the squad amid comments about him 'effecting the teams culture'.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...et-world-cup-squad-jofra-archer-a8887246.html

As I say, he was silly but personally I feel it's gone a bit far and I believe Giles was irresponsible for making those comments. I might be wrong but I don't feel Jimmy Anderson would have received the same treatment.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I'm aware it brings race into it. See below from the time he was brought into the squad amid comments about him 'effecting the teams culture'.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...et-world-cup-squad-jofra-archer-a8887246.html

As I say, he was silly but personally I feel it's gone a bit far and I believe Giles was irresponsible for making those comments. I might be wrong but I don't feel Jimmy Anderson would have received the same treatment.

That last paragraph is pure speculation. Jimmy Anderson hasn’t broken lockdown rules. If he had and was being treated in a different way to Jofra then you would have a good point.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Comparing it to Sterling brings race unnecessarily into the debate. I would think it quite clear that the comments were about his being fast tracked into the England squad. The Chief Executive of West Indies cricket accused England of poaching when they reduced the residency requirement to allow him to be picked. He is not a racist as far as I know.
Further, I wonder if some of what you call OTT comment is due to a sense of embarrassment. West Indies have done cricket (and specifically English cricket) a huge favour by playing this series and any rules put in place would have had the aim of making our visitors feel comfortable in visiting our plague infested country. I know WI will have been well remunerated but I am still grateful they are here. It’s a shame if any of our players cannot follow a simple set of rules.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/53496311

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
You claimed that Archer was harshly treated by being left out of the team for the 2nd Test because of his race. This accusation of racism aimed at the selectors with absolutely no evidence is entirely different from racist comments made by morons on social media.

No I didn't at all, show me where?! You've misunderstood.

I absolutely thought it was the correct decision to leave him out as he had been silly. I said the treatment he had received since the story broke though was totally over the top and some of the criticism really out of order. Giles coming out and saying he could cost them tens of millions of pounds was unnecessary and comments from certain areas of the media and fans were out of line. Like the comments about 'culture' when he was coming into the side, there was a whiff.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Why do we have domestic Covid rules then but quarantine visitors from other countries? Cricket had to make its proposals to government in view of the rules on international travel. Yours or my view on risk is irrelevant because it had to be agreed and seemingly as compliant with general rules as it could conceivably be.

That is why the Windies arrived over 2 weeks before the first Test. They have done their quarantine making it exactly the same as the EPL.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
No I didn't at all, show me where?! You've misunderstood.

I absolutely thought it was the correct decision to leave him out as he had been silly. I said the treatment he had received since the story broke though was totally over the top and some of the criticism really out of order. Giles coming out and saying he could cost them tens of millions of pounds was unnecessary and comments from certain areas of the media and fans were out of line. Like the comments about 'culture' when he was coming into the side, there was a whiff.

You’re right, I think I misremembered. You were saying that some of the media comment reminded you of the treatment of Raheem Sterling. I still don’t see any basis for that. The BBC article mentions social media racist abuse but the other quotes from Jofra sound like someone complaining about celebrity culture, particularly when he refers to the fickleness of cricket. He just has to get used to that as it comes with the money and fame.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
If you get a chance check out Archers catch today v Mumbai Indians, simply amazing.

He’s the Matt le tissier of catches

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here