Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Hideaway Archer breaches Lockdown

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
As I said in the other thread, he's quite likely to play - he's more of an opening bowler than Woakes and certainly more than Curran (whose scarcely a third seamer)

Agreed, I think he would do well even as first change. I like Curran, but I think he's less there for his pace and more for the fact he's a left-arm bowler and teams love that option if they have it (It's why I got a load of games for my local side!)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I like Curran, but I think he's less there for his pace and more for the fact he's a left-arm bowler and teams love that option if they have it (It's why I got a load of games for my local side!)

I played a season where I was a walking wickets to lefties. And in my first game when I moved back to Brighton I was opening the batting against another one - and, yes, he got me out in his second over.

A good left-armer is always worth including

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1283684467853471744[/TWEET]

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Poor old Jofra getting hammered in the press and Ashley Giles stocking the boot in. Talk of dropping him for the 3rd test because he HAS to miss this one so it isn’t really punishment

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Poor old Jofra getting hammered in the press and Ashley Giles stocking the boot in. Talk of dropping him for the 3rd test because he HAS to miss this one so it isn’t really punishment

Had he been Dominic Cummings he’d still be opening the bowling in this test!!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
B6E03B58-AE83-4B2B-97A2-6ED26D3E2F7D.jpeg

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
So Archer popped into his flat and that threatens to disrupt their bio-secure environment. But I saw an Albion player in Tescos on Weds who played last night.

Can someone explain why their rules would be so different?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So Archer popped into his flat and that threatens to disrupt their bio-secure environment. But I saw an Albion player in Tescos on Weds who played last night.

Can someone explain why their rules would be so different?

It’s an international match. You have players, officials, correspondents etc. all arriving from abroad for the match. It is entirely different to domestic football games.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
It’s an international match. You have players, officials, correspondents etc. all arriving from abroad for the match. It is entirely different to domestic football games.

I feel like I must be missing something really obvious, but I don't see how that makes the rules different. Wouldn't they all have to be part of this same bubble though? So they've all been in the country for a set amount of time, been tested etc? Surely the player I saw was just as likely to introduce Covid into the Premier League as Archer was to this test match?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I feel like I must be missing something really obvious, but I don't see how that makes the rules different. Wouldn't they all have to be part of this same bubble though? So they've all been in the country for a set amount of time, been tested etc? Surely the player I saw was just as likely to introduce Covid into the Premier League as Archer was to this test match?

I agree that there is no difference. Either player could have encountered someone with the virus and that is a threat to the bio secure bubble. I was under the impression that the PL was going to do something similar to cricket and that players would not be wandering around Tescos on match days. I guess not.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Why do we have domestic Covid rules then but quarantine visitors from other countries? Cricket had to make its proposals to government in view of the rules on international travel. Yours or my view on risk is irrelevant because it had to be agreed and seemingly as compliant with general rules as it could conceivably be.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Yes he was a silly boy but the criticism he's getting now seems way OTT. I've just read on the BBC website that Ashley Giles has said he could have cost English cricket "tens of millions of pounds" - ridiculous comment.

As Michael Vaughan said on TMS, I hope he is getting some support at the moment and is not just left on his in a hotel room for 5 days.

It seems to me Jofra gets a much harder time than any other English player if he errs or his form drops. Also remember when he was first coming into the England squad and the strange response from some elements of the media and squad about him being dropped into the side and a lack of loyalty to the other players. Reminds me a bit of the stick Raheem Sterling has taken over the years.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It seems to me Jofra gets a much harder time than any other English player if he errs or his form drops. Also remember when he was first coming into the England squad and the strange response from some elements of the media and squad about him being dropped into the side and a lack of loyalty to the other players. Reminds me a bit of the stick Raheem Sterling has taken over the years.

Comparing it to Sterling brings race unnecessarily into the debate. I would think it quite clear that the comments were about his being fast tracked into the England squad. The Chief Executive of West Indies cricket accused England of poaching when they reduced the residency requirement to allow him to be picked. He is not a racist as far as I know.
Further, I wonder if some of what you call OTT comment is due to a sense of embarrassment. West Indies have done cricket (and specifically English cricket) a huge favour by playing this series and any rules put in place would have had the aim of making our visitors feel comfortable in visiting our plague infested country. I know WI will have been well remunerated but I am still grateful they are here. It’s a shame if any of our players cannot follow a simple set of rules.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here