Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England v West Indies 2nd test

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Really surprised they are resting Anderson and Wood ? If we were 2-0 in the 3 Test series I would say its sensible to rest them and try some other options but now, when we need to win the next Test at all costs ?

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Really surprised they are resting Anderson and Wood ? If we were 2-0 in the 3 Test series I would say its sensible to rest them and try some other options but now, when we need to win the next Test at all costs ?

I just don't think Wood can play twice without breaking down and I presume they must think the same with Jimmy because as you say it doesn't make sense.
It should be a cracking game and to be fair its the batters that let us down not the bowlers

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Anderson didn't bowl well at Southampton. Maybe age is catching up.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Well at least Denley is toast....

All you need to know here :nono:

f6211f0b7d8509a04e2c9bebf855cab1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
England fast bowler Jofra Archer has been excluded from the second Test against West Indies after breaching the bio-secure protocols.

Does this open the door for Robinson?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

There are three test matches played very closely together: Anderson is 38 in a couple of weeks and Wood is made of elastic bands and balsa wood - it would be madness to play them in three matches so close together. It would be equally crazy to leave Broad out for two games on the bounce, so one of them would definitely have had to step down. England could well be looking to play Woakes too.

What's the alternative? Dropping Archer on the fastest of the test wickets? We saw how he shook up the Windies in the second innings. No, I reckon the selectors have got this right. My take is that Broad and Woakes will play and Archer will be rested for the third test.
EDIT: Of course, I didn't take into account that Archer would act like a dickhead. Could be Ollie's time

Last edited:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
England fast bowler Jofra Archer has been excluded from the second Test against West Indies after breaching the bio-secure protocols.

Does this open the door for Robinson?

I don't understand the selection of Robinson, a fine first class bowler who may do really well in this country but given that they were playing Wood and Archer together to get a pace attack ready for the next ashes tour, I'm not sure how this works - He wouldn't be selected for Australia, surely?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
My suspicion is Archer's antics may not work in Ollie's favour, as with a completely new seam attack from last week they may well want to opt for the more tried and tested Woakes and Curran to partner Broad.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
My suspicion is Archer's antics may not work in Ollie's favour, as with a completely new seam attack from last week they may well want to opt for the more tried and tested Woakes and Curran to partner Broad.

Possibly, I would play him myself. Him and Broad would be a good pairing. Curran is a left armer, but Robinson has been consistent for a long time now.

Last edited:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Woakes and particularly Curran also strengthen the batting. I presume they will go with them. Thought Curran was very unlucky to miss out in the last squad.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I don't understand the selection of Robinson, a fine first class bowler who may do really well in this country but given that they were playing Wood and Archer together to get a pace attack ready for the next ashes tour, I'm not sure how this works - He wouldn't be selected for Australia, surely?
Broad and Anderson are both getting older, so I guess we’re starting to look at some options. He’s done well for the Lions, appears to be improving so at least deserves a shot. It might work out.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I don't think Robinson is quick enough for international cricket.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
You don’t need to be that fast, Robinson is a very good line and length bowler, Holder in the last match bowled a beautiful line and length. I think England see Robinson as a potential pick for Australian pitches when we go down under as he bowled well for the lions.

He was very good in the warm up, bowled beautifully so must have impressed.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I don't think Robinson is quick enough for international cricket.

I've heard people say the same about Woakes. And Broad. And Sidebottom.

You don't need to bowl 90mph to be successful in international cricket, you need to be skilful enough. Sajid Mahmood is one of the fastest bowlers England have had, was utterly useless at international level. James Anderson rarely exceeds 84mph these days and yet would still be the first choice for the bowling attack in pretty much any conditions (the exception being a raging bunsen in India).

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Honestly, you can't pick Curran at Old Trafford (especially if we need to bowl first).

Get Robinson in to take the new ball.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here