Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 5 Subs to continue into 2020/21 season

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I see Fifa have sanctioned the continuation of the 5 subs rule into next season per BBC sport website :

Teams will be able to make five substitutions in a match until the end of the 2020-21 season after Fifa chose to extend the use of the rule.

World football's governing body says it is now up to individual leagues and competitions to decide if they wish to continue allowing five substitutions.

Will this become the new norm?

Will the 4 quarters approach continue too?

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Rubbish decision that will help the top clubs. It will encourage them to buy more players as they will offer more game time and then play them all for 30 minutes.
What joy for a defender when you bring on Augero for the last 30 minutes

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
It gives more opportunities for youngsters to get game time here and there so I like it.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Should work in our favour if we are still in the Prem. Promoted clubs will need more quality in depth than they might have envisaged, and as Fulham then Villa showed, that costs more than even they spent.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I can see this helping us against mid and lower league teams If we stay up..

Potter likes to use his full squad rather than a set 11, I think we have already benefited during this tough spell being able to bring on like for like players with similar experience. All having played pre lockdown bar MacAlister and Lamptey

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I guess if you're trying to break into the first team the manager may blood a few new faces into the matchday squad , but it must help those teams with exceptional players as if they need more help so I'm on the fence , surely all clubs will get a vote , it will be interesting to see the results of that .

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
It makes it harder to work out who to pick for my fantasy premier league team...

...for that reason, I am OUT!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Rubbish decision that will help the top clubs. It will encourage them to buy more players as they will offer more game time and then play them all for 30 minutes.
What joy for a defender when you bring on Augero for the last 30 minutes

This.

It absolutely benefits the richest clubs, no question about it.

If they’re not playing well and/or the scoreline not going their way, they bring on half an outfield team of world class players.

Giving youth a chance is a smokescreen.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Its up to the individual leagues. Water breaks are only here because playing in humid weather can be seriously dangerous and cab lead to dehydration.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I still think there should be a requirement that at least 2 of these 5 changes must be U21's otherwise you only get 3.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
What is the rationale for this?

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
This.

It absolutely benefits the richest clubs, no question about it.

If they’re not playing well and/or the scoreline not going their way, they bring on half an outfield team of world class players.

Giving youth a chance is a smokescreen.

If this goes ahead I will be giving my local county club my money. Trying to watch a game that could stop10 times for subs in the second half, many tactical to break up the flow and waste time
... what a load of old s__t

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Its up to the individual leagues. Water breaks are only here because playing in humid weather can be seriously dangerous and cab lead to dehydration.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Agree that's what they are supposed to be meant for during the end of this season, but if they did carry on and we change from 2 halves to a 4 quarters approach then I can see the TV companies seeing this as a great opportunity to slip in another TV advertisement. I really hope we don't have the 4 quarters style next season as IMO it breaks up the games too much.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If this goes ahead I will be giving my local county club my money. Trying to watch a game that could stop10 times for subs in the second half, many tactical to break up the flow and waste time
... what a load of old s__t

The ex pro’s on TV/radio all laughingly call the mid half breaks “Tactics breaks”. The game now split into four quarters. Definitely affecting games eg we gained after being poor in the first 22 minutes at Carrow Road, then excellent.

In our temperate climate, there’s no need in autumn/winter/spring for ‘drinks’ after 22 minutes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here