NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Too short.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
So how does it work with him moving from Manchester? Does he lodge with a family down here?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Less than a month until his 16th and he's old enough to live on his own.

I'd imagine we'd put him in what used to be known as digs (may still be for all I know!).

He may well be legally allowed to live on his own soon, but I doubt the club went to his parents and said "Yeah, we'll stick him in a bedsit in Worthing and let him get on with it". That's not how you persuade them that your club is the one their beloved offspring wants to join. It doesn't really scream duty of care...

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'd imagine we'd put him in what used to be known as digs (may still be for all I know!).

He may well be legally allowed to live on his own soon, but I doubt the club went to his parents and said "Yeah, we'll stick him in a bedsit in Worthing and let him get on with it". That's not how you persuade them that your club is the one their beloved offspring wants to join. It doesn't really scream duty of care...

They used to lodge the younger players in Jury's Inn in the city centre. Not sure why they stopped doing that.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So how does it work with him moving from Manchester? Does he lodge with a family down here?

Maybe he knows David Weir's lad, who we've also just signed. Same age band, both playing in Manchester area. He can lodge with the Weir's.

There you go. All sorted :thumbsup:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Maybe he knows David Weir's lad, who we've also just signed. Same age band, both playing in Manchester area. He can lodge with the Weir's.

There you go. All sorted :thumbsup:

I know they're only children, and therefore considerable patience is required (on our part) and luck/ skill (on the players') but we're now picking up young players in the same way that Southampton do, for example. Players are coming to us because we are seen to offer a really high standard of care & development, and because the individuals can see a clear pathway to the first team.

Note I used Saints rather than Chelsea as an example- Chelsea seem to pick up the youngsters by virtue of paying them the biggest wages. I accept Lampard has played a lot of youth team graduates this season, largely out of necessity with their transfer ban, but it remains to be seen whether that will continue once the transfer window opens. Hopefully for England's sake it does.

Saints have to be the model for the likes of us. Outstanding youth development over a number of years, and they just keep the club ticking over by selling them on at the right time, for the right price. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I thought this was a misspelt thread about immersion heaters

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I know they're only children, and therefore considerable patience is required (on our part) and luck/ skill (on the players') but we're now picking up young players in the same way that Southampton do, for example. Players are coming to us because we are seen to offer a really high standard of care & development, and because the individuals can see a clear pathway to the first team.

Note I used Saints rather than Chelsea as an example- Chelsea seem to pick up the youngsters by virtue of paying them the biggest wages. I accept Lampard has played a lot of youth team graduates this season, largely out of necessity with their transfer ban, but it remains to be seen whether that will continue once the transfer window opens. Hopefully for England's sake it does.

Saints have to be the model for the likes of us. Outstanding youth development over a number of years, and they just keep the club ticking over by selling them on at the right time, for the right price. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Absolutely this. I know they're a bit of an arsey fanbase, but as a club they've done exceptionally well on pretty much all fronts since we outplayed them on the way to the League One title.

In the last eight seasons they've (if you excuse the Mark Hughes experiment) been unbelievably successful. If we can get anywhere close to replicating their 4 top ten finishes, two European campaigns (including beating Inter Milan and Sparta Prague) and a parade of quality players (obvious candidates like VVD and Mane to Tadic, Wanyama and Ings), then the future will be a lot of fun!

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
15 years old, and made his league debut last year. Not bad!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

As long as you replace effectively the players you've sold that's fine.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Absolutely this. I know they're a bit of an arsey fanbase, but as a club they've done exceptionally well on pretty much all fronts since we outplayed them on the way to the League One title.

In the last eight seasons they've (if you excuse the Mark Hughes experiment) been unbelievably successful. If we can get anywhere close to replicating their 4 top ten finishes, two European campaigns (including beating Inter Milan and Sparta Prague) and a parade of quality players (obvious candidates like VVD and Mane to Tadic, Wanyama and Ings), then the future will be a lot of fun!

They were doing well with youth development more than 8 years ago. Amongst those they have produced are Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Gareth Bale and thingy Walcott.

Edit - Theo Walcott

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
They were doing well with youth development more than 8 years ago. Amongst those they have produced are Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Gareth Bale and thingy Walcott.

Edit - Theo Walcott

Adam Lallana or is he Plucky?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here