Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Greyhound is leaving the stadium - Schelotto leaving Albion

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
http://sportwitness.co.uk/i-was-available-player-confirms-hes-leaving-brighton-after-failed-contract-talks/

On July 7th, we carried a report from TuttoMercatoWeb, who explained that Ezequiel Schelotto is expected to leave Brighton & Hove Albion this summer after the two parties were far away from reaching agreement for an extension. The 31-year-old’s contract with the Seagulls expires after this season and he has now decided to leave the Premier League club, three years after joining them from Sporting.

This was confirmed by the right-back during an interview with TuttoMercatoWeb.

“I’ve been here for three years. I thank the club that opened the doors to the best league in the world. We were talking about the renewal, I was positive: I thought I could stay, but they set different conditions than I imagined,” he said. The former Atalanta man also suggested he couldn’t agree with Brighton’s sporting plans for the future, which is why he has decided to leave Graham Potter’s side. “Last week when we sat down to talk, I was available. My agents had been talking to the directors for some time. But then together with my agent Alessandro Grigoletto, I asked about the sporting project and we did not agree,” the defender explained.

“I wanted a little gratitude after what I did for this shirt, and it wasn’t the case. I am thirty-one years old and I have so much to give to football. At Brighton I say thank you, but I must continue on my way.”

The player’s comments give an indication that his desire was to continue in England and he sounds disappointed he can no longer do that. He made only six starts for Brighton in all competitions this season. Schelotto spent most of his playing career in Serie A and has not ruled out returning to Italy this summer. “I don’t exclude anything. I played in Italy and I know the championship well. I clearly like Italy. We will see what will happen. I am looking for a project in line with my expectations. I’m neither old nor young,” he added. “It [Torino] is an important team with great fans. At Atalanta I lived two wonderful years, I was the national team and Inter. In life you never know…”

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I wonder what he meant by disagreeing about the sporting project? Does that mean we are going down the youthful route and not keeping senior players?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Presumably he's been told he is down the pecking order for game time and wants a team where he is guaranteed game time.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
'A little gratitude' could be a translation error, but seems an odd thing to say given the support he would have received for his long-term injury and the fact he was given a chance to revive his Albion career under Potter, which he has ultimately not taken.

I wonder if he is referring to the remuneration terms of his new contract, a pay decrease perhaps?

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I wonder what he meant by disagreeing about the sporting project? Does that mean we are going down the youthful route and not keeping senior players?
Thats how i see the plans that seemed to be put forward to him. Probably something like
.......you can sign a new contract extension for a year but on a vastly reduced wage because our new policy of promoting youth is starting to provide even more competion for your position and you are not exactly a whippersnapper.

Thanks Greyhound you were a very popular player here, good luck for the future.:bigwave:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Dreadful footballer but a likable fella. Good luck to him

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
I like him, he's a character and, on his day, an exciting attacking fullback. Best of luck to him.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Two great moments from El Galgo;

1. The pantomime routine with Zaha whilst warming up. That was truly great.

2. That time against Chelsea (last season?) where he went run-mental and should've had at least 1 penalty. Proper dog-loose-in-the-playground stuff, they didn't know how to handle him.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
A character and a showman in an age of beige footballers.

Good luck to him.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

2. That time against Chelsea (last season?) where he went run-mental and should've had at least 1 penalty. Proper dog-loose-in-the-playground stuff, they didn't know how to handle him.

Notable that neither of those moments involve defending.

Big laugh as a bloke. Frequently absolute village when it came to stopping opponents getting the ball into our goal.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I like Schelotto. Been a useful servant to the club. Not going to get much of a look in now Lamptey has hit the scene.

Wish him good luck.

Ezequiel-Schelotto.jpg

25360120-8059519-image-a-1_1582985685271.jpg

Thanks for the reminder ...great moment

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Earlier this season:-

3 - Bernie Inn their penalty area running towards the by-line.
But he couldn't get to it as Schelotto was in front of him. :lol: :facepalm:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I thought Hughton handled him really badly - another signing bought in and no where near the team. Seemed to fall out big time (was quite happy in Brighton town center Instagramming away while we were playing at home...) but slightly redeemed himself under Potter but there was no way he was going to hang around

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here