Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ainsley Maitland-Niles

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
It wouldn’t be surprising to see Potter getting hold of this prospect and sitting him alongside Bissouma in the 2 of a 4-2-3-1

From this brief highlights video*, he is clearly quick, strong, direct and plays the quick ball without dawdling.
https://youtu.be/zHmpOW7SmPQ

*contains scenes of Maitland-Niles putting Zaha in his pocket.

I love that his weakness is something called "composture" (0:10). Not a competent horticulturalist?

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I think he is just the sort of RB that would fit our style of play, however I did not see much evidance regarding his crossing ability but he's young has ability and could learn from St Bruno

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
He's a central midfield player by trade, which already makes him better than Propper apparently. Played all over the place for Arsenal I'd say its quite hard to know the relative ability of the kid from the little I've seen. One to look at though if the price is right.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Palace bound for sure, they are desperate for a RB, free and young...ticks all the boxes for them

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I think he'd be decent personally. He's versatile, fast and direct and is a good passer of the ball. The question is whether he is suitable for what Potter wants to do next season and whether he fits in cost-wise. If the answer to either of those is "no" then we've already got our answer.

I do love how people are writing him off because we signed some rubbish youth player from Arsenal in 2003 or whatever. I really cannot see how Joe O'Cearuill or Graham Barratt, or even that utter load of balls Chuba Akpom have any relevance. They were never in contention at Arsenal (they managed 6 1st team apps in 11 years between them). At least with Maitland-Niles he's got 50 apps in and has held his own in the Prem.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Too pricey for shirt printing , we need a few more Cox to balance the books .

Tiny Cox, or 5 foot Cox? Any preference?

With regards to Maitland-Niles - I would prefer him to Lingard. If he has the right attitude, he definitely has the promise that Lamptey did when we brought him in. It's quite clear that Potter wants flexible players with good engines and work rate. He seems comfortable on the ball, but I'm not sure he's better than Alzate. His signing would make sense in terms of the profile of our transfer targets as well, someone involved in the England youth set up previously.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Palace bound for sure, they are desperate for a RB, free and young...ticks all the boxes for them

Not free.

Has made it be known via his circle that he wants out.

Contracted with the Gunners until 2023.

He’d cost £10m+.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
That says more about him than it does about you.

I can remember most to all Withdean era players but this one just escapes me - he must have been horrendous! Even Hawkins tried hard bless him :lol:

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
If he was a free (or 2M with an expiring contract) I'd say take a chance. £10M+ though and not so sure. Was highly touted but doesn't seem to have had enough great moments. If had to guess would say in 3 years he'll be at Charlton or somewhere borderline Champ.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I thought he was super at left back the other night.... id happily take him for that job and is very versatile

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Makes sense. Potter likes versatility. He’s played Burn and Alzate as full backs this season and, when at Swansea, played Matt Grimes all over the place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here