Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ainsley Maitland-Niles

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Indeed. I think sometimes people are fooled by young players being at "big" clubs, and assume they must be of a very high standard. That may be true of Chelsea's current crop, but Arsenal have never been that sort of club.

They have produced some disgustingly ordinary young players over the years, several of whom they've deviously dumped on us (Graham Barrett, Joe O'Ceaurruill, Chuba Akpom, and another really poor defender whose name escapes me temporarily). I think Valur Gislasson (one for the kids there) might have been ex Arsenal too.

I have a feeling Maitland-Niles will end up being a fringe midfielder somewhere like Hull or Bristol City, before dropping slowly down the leagues via Sunderland and Plymouth Argyle.

You seem very particular as to the clubs poor young Ainsley may roll up at. What have Plymouth ever done to you? indeed we are supposed to have a special affiliation with them, or had. :wink:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Thank you!

I have no memory of Joe O'Ceaurruill..!?

I’ve just googled him and he made 8 apps but I don’t recall him. He’s also had more clubs than tiger woods!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I think it's best it stays that way

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

He clearly made an impact on me. I think I had a ST back then too... Was this Wilkins era? I’m useless at remembering who was manager when...

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

I’ve just googled him and he made 8 apps but I don’t recall him. He’s also had more clubs than tiger woods!

Amid an entire ocean of defensive uselessness at that time, he was a small clump of pointless detritus, bobbing hopelessly up and down the waves until sinking anonymously into the murky depths (or the League of Ireland, as it's known).

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
You seem very particular as to the clubs poor young Ainsley may roll up at. What have Plymouth ever done to you? indeed we are supposed to have a special affiliation with them, or had. :wink:

I like Plymouth very much, and wish them well. But he's the sort of cast-off they unfortunately end up with, largely because they pay slightly higher wages than many other teams in the lower leagues and because they are potentially an ambitious club.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I remember seeing one of Maitland-Niles' first games for Arsenal's first team - looked a tremendous prospect as a holding midfield player, but has struggled to find a regular role. If that early ability is still in there, he'd be great for us. But at the right price and wages, of course.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Amid an entire ocean of defensive uselessness at that time, he was a small clump of pointless detritus, bobbing hopelessly up and down the waves until sinking anonymously into the murky depths (or the League of Ireland, as it's known).

He was totally forgettable which is why I had forgotten him until his name cropped up. He was awful. There was another forgettable defender from that era who's name escapes me. Looked like a clone of Cullip but with a fraction of his ability. I think (?) he was a loanee from Arsenal too.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Didn't he give away a penalty in one of his early games for us?

You've just reminded me of Gislason - he was shockingly bad. Right up there with Ashley Neal as one of the worst players to grace the stripes (although obviously not as bad as Michael Mahoney Johnson)

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006

Amusingly he started the FA Cup game away against West Ham. Imagine he lurks around the bars of Ireland talking about how he once marked against Carlos Tevez in the FA Cup.

Having done further research, I never knew that Mark Noble scored his first goal that day. And had completely forgotten Bobby came on. And that teddy Sheringham was on the bench. And yet I do remember Joe O’Cearuill started for us.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I remember seeing one of Maitland-Niles' first games for Arsenal's first team - looked a tremendous prospect as a holding midfield player, but has struggled to find a regular role. If that early ability is still in there, he'd be great for us. But at the right price and wages, of course.

It wouldn’t be surprising to see Potter getting hold of this prospect and sitting him alongside Bissouma in the 2 of a 4-2-3-1

From this brief highlights video*, he is clearly quick, strong, direct and plays the quick ball without dawdling.
https://youtu.be/zHmpOW7SmPQ

*contains scenes of Maitland-Niles putting Zaha in his pocket.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
One Martin Keown!

So that's Keown, Sidwell, Dickov, Nelson, Pates. Not a bad selection.

You can't have Dickov without Mark Flatts.

A striker partnership that Lamptey would tower over.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here