Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ainsley Maitland-Niles

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Seems like this one is getting less likely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
We are quoted now at 9/1. West Ham favourites at 6/1

According to the Oracle that is Sussex live we are now 6/1 2nd favourites to sign him, behind Spurs at 5/1.

Interestingly, in the same article, they say the Sheffield Star are reporting our interest in John Lundstrum.

Anyone else heard about this?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
According to the Oracle that is Sussex live we are now 6/1 2nd favourites to sign him, behind Spurs at 5/1.

Interestingly, in the same article, they say the Sheffield Star are reporting our interest in John Lundstrum.

Yeh that Sussex Live is terrible - just another generic thing that all county’s seem to have. Odds movement means nothing. I found the Lundstrum thing and it’s nothing as expected: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....despite-failing-sign-new-contract-2942861?amp

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

I've read about the Lundstram speculation earlier in the window.

He seems like a very credible target, but our central midfield numbers are currently bloated beyond belief.

Potter is really impressed by Pröpper according to last week's The Athletic, so any further new recruitment won't be at Davy's expense.... so Stephens and Groß could be on their way, or disappointingly there will be no place for Molumby.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Thanks, tenuous in the extreme.

Where did these Local Live clickbait sites come from? I think I'll be boycotting them in the future. Apologies for promoting their crap.

I look at news now for BHAFC but it’s now full of shite like that or Brighton and give independent which I’ve learnt to totally ignore. Actual mainstream press transfer news are few and far between on there! But yeh, not a clue where they come from but being a ‘journo’ for one of them must be a seriously shit job!

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

Yes I read we want Lundstrum and we have a chance because of some sort of contract issue for him at Sheff U

What about AMN?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Yes I read we want Lundstrum and we have a chance because of some sort of contract issue for him at Sheff U

What about AMN?

Refusing to sign contract extension. So in his last year. Good midfield option to have.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Lundstrum has been instrumental to Sheff U and would be an excellent signing IMO. I'd certainly go for him over AMN @ £30m which is way overpriced IMO

I tend to agree

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
Reports in France suggest Abdoulaye Doucoure has agreed terms with Everton.

Does that mean one fewer options for Maitland-Niles?

I can't help thinking that when things go quiet, we are involved in negotiations.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
His Fa Cup games will have put him on lots of clubs radar. Without those games maybe we'd have had a chance, but I think ending up at an Everton/Wolves/Leicester is more likely now.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
the more I think about this the more I would like him lining up alongside Biss in Centre Mid.

The more I think about it him lining up with Biss could well lead to Alzate and Molumby saying what the fvck is the point of working our way through the academy, going out on loan to prove ourselves, only for the club to ship in some other team's youngster over our heads? Sod that, here's our transfer requests.
And the academy loses a lot of its appeal to other potential future gems. Still, splashing £20 or £30M on a transfer is more glamorous than just boringly getting on with promoting youngsters to the first team when they are good enough, as some of them certainly are, or are likely to be.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The more I think about it him lining up with Biss could well lead to Alzate and Molumby saying what the fvck is the point of working our way through the academy, going out on loan to prove ourselves, only for the club to ship in some other team's youngster over our heads? Sod that, here's our transfer requests.
And the academy loses a lot of its appeal to other potential future gems. Still, splashing £20 or £30M on a transfer is more glamorous than just boringly getting on with promoting youngsters to the first team when they are good enough, as some of them certainly are, or are likely to be.

It doesn't work like that. Young footballers with few or no first team starts are not so precious. In the EPL, clubs buy young players and other players for large sums, regularly. Everyone else just gets on with it. :shrug:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
His Fa Cup games will have put him on lots of clubs radar. Without those games maybe we'd have had a chance, but I think ending up at an Everton/Wolves/Leicester is more likely now.
Rubbish .... He's been decent all season

Always seemed like a long shot

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It doesn't work like that. Young footballers with few or no first team starts are not so precious. In the EPL, clubs buy young players and other players for large sums, regularly. Everyone else just gets on with it. :shrug:
Yes, but as has been said, our aim is to be sustainable, growing our own players (not to the total exclusion of buying someone if necessary, but as the preferred modus operandi). Unlike Chelsea, we are not just harvesting young talent to stop anyone else getting it.

Last edited:

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing

Surely the point of an academy is to develope players to bring into the team or to sell on for a huge amount otherwise why have an academy

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here