Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The end of an era

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
https://theathletic.com/1923818/?source=twitteruk

The end of an era is looming at #BHAFC under Graham Potter. Glenn Murray, Shane Duffy, Solly March, Beram Kayal and Dale Stephens could all be coming towards finishing their spells at the club |

Murray's only just signed a new contract. Yes, it's for a year but it's not exactly a journalistic scoop to say that a 37-year old is going to retire.

And Kayal's contract expires in a few weeks, he hasn't played for us for two seasons

Does it say anything about the Pope's religious beliefs or bears' toilet habits?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Murray's only just signed a new contract. Yes, it's for a year but it's not exactly a journalistic scoop to say that a 37-year old is going to retire.

And Kayal's contract expires in a few weeks, he hasn't played for us for two seasons

Does it say anything about the Pope's religious beliefs or bears' toilet habits?

I’m not a subscriber so we will have to wait patiently until one turns up on the thread. I have my doubts about Stephens leaving. Surely a season as back up and fighting for his place would suit both parties and is more likely.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
I’m not a subscriber so we will have to wait patiently until one turns up on the thread. I have my doubts about Stephens leaving. Surely a season as back up and fighting for his place would suit both parties and is more likely.

We have plenty of midfield options now and if selling Stephens generates that bit of extra cash and wages to bring in the striker we need then it's goodbye Dale from me.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
About time we can’t progress with championship quality players. Stephens guaranteed to make a clanger, March would miss an empty net, Duffy good defender although not for a GP squad. Murray his best days are behind him.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
We have plenty of midfield options now and if selling Stephens generates that bit of extra cash and wages to bring in the striker we need then it's goodbye Dale from me.

This.

It’s about footballing philosophy, not how good they are.

Both Stephens & Duffy are good enough to start every week for 10th place Burnley in the Premier League with their style of football but I think Potter wants different qualities from those required by old-schoolers like Dyche.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

It’s nothing but Naylor speculating that they are out of favour and will probably move on at an important time in their career. Only thing of note is that the club are creating a glut of good ball playing CB’s and Duffy is the most likely casualty (including Dunk/White).

Today’s interview with Balogun was a far more insightful read, lots about how Hughton worked and his reliance on the “old guard”. Was very happy here but not given the chance to perform despite feeling like he did when asked upon.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
This.

It’s about footballing philosophy, not how good they are.

Both Stephens & Duffy are good enough to start every week for 10th place Burnley in the Premier League with their style of football but I think Potter wants different qualities from those required by old-schoolers like Dyche.

This.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I’d be surprised, and disappointed, to see March leave. Maybe it’s because he’s a local lad, but I still think he has something to offer. Just needs to develop consistency and keep his confidence up - no easy task I admit.

I think, with the current state of the transfer market, we may see some of these players (bar Kayal and perhaps Duffy) stick around for another season in the event we don’t have a busy transfer window. We shall see...

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Great post!

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
We will have 3 categories of players.

Those Potter feels are essential to his longer term plans, including: Ryan, Lamptey, Wesbter, Dunk, Burn, Propper, Bissouma, Alzate, MacAllister, Trossard, Maupay, Connolly

Those Potter feels have a part to play but he could lose if a suitable replacement was found: Button, Steele, Montoya, Duffy, Bernardo, March, Jahanbakash, Stephens, Mooy, Gross, Murray

Those who are surplus to requirements: Schelotto, Kayal

The above groupings are in no way a true reflection of Potters opinions just speculation having read NSC and clearly are incomplete as the list do not include those who have spent this season out on loan or any of the U21's he intend to integrate. It would be very easy to select some of these names for an article and make a story

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London

I’d be very surprised if Murray retires after this season has ended. He’s in great shape and still has a lot to offer. Of course he’s not as mobile as he once was but pace was never an integral part of his game. He just knows where to be at the right time as he’s a natural goal scorer.

The vast majority of footballers want to play, especially when you’re near the end of your career so I suspect he’ll sign for another club to eek out as much as he possibly can on the pitch before he retires.

Make no mistake: Glenn Murray is an Albion legend. If we stay up with something to spare, I hope he gets to play for us before the season ends. That way we can see him in Albion colours one more time. But at the moment, very sadly, due to circumstances beyond our control, it looks like we will not be able to give the man the send off he truly deserves. I hope the club can put that right in future.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I’d be very surprised if Murray retires after this season has ended. He’s in great shape and still has a lot to offer. Of course he’s not as mobile as he once was but pace was never an integral part of his game. He just knows where to be at the right time as he’s a natural goal scorer.
Indeed - Giroud scored the winner against Norwich tonight.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I’d be surprised, and disappointed, to see March leave. Maybe it’s because he’s a local lad, but I still think he has something to offer. Just needs to develop consistency and keep his confidence up - no easy task I admit.

I dont think he is going anywhere unless he wants to leave.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

I agree, although he's now 25 and not really getting much game time. It's certainly declined under Potter. If he wants to develop further, he needs to play so I think he's more likely to want to move if the right offer is on the table.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
About time we can’t progress with championship quality players. Stephens guaranteed to make a clanger, March would miss an empty net, Duffy good defender although not for a GP squad. Murray his best days are behind him.

This.

And you didn't even mention Bezza.

If that is the end of an era then the departure of David Coverdale was the end of Deep Purple.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London

Unfortunately March has not progressed in the Premier League under Hughton or Potter in the way that we'd all hoped. In general, you have to say he's been disappointing and recently, he hasn't even made the enlarged match day squads. He needs to be be playing regularly so he may well feel it's time to move on.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wish I could but I just can't see where the love for Solly comes from.

TBH I can't even see another Premier League side coming in for him.

I so wish that weren't the case

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here