Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] TV Licencing phishing alert.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yesterday I received a very realistic email purporting to come from TV Licencing, advising me that it was time to renew my TV Licence - press here to continue, etc., etc.

As I pay my TV Licence monthly by direct debit I thought this was a bit odd, so I contacted my bank - but they were unable to tell me if the DD had an end date, or why I should need to renew.

If you get one of these emails - and it is a very convincing fake - if you phone TV Licencing on 0300 790 6165 you can listen to a very detailed and useful list of things that will be included in an email if it is genuinely from them so that you can easily identify its veracity. They also tell you where to forward it to for it to be investigated.

Stay Alert - Keep Safe - Save Money!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
There's the Inland Revenue call doing the rounds.

Simple rule and tell any elderly folk too never respond to any email link concerning money, just go directly to the site itself if you think it may be genuine. Never give money over the phone unless you can fully identify who it is or, even better, call them back on a number you have verified.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I had the TV licence scam email a year ago.

Possibly from the same tossers, a Netflix one in June ......looking very plausible. The main reason I knew that they were lying was that it was sent to my icloud email address, whereas Netflix have me registered at another email address.

If any doubt, never follow the weblinks. Ignore their cajoling.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I had exactly the same e-mail and you are right it does look very convincing

Yesterday I received a very realistic email purporting to come from TV Licencing, advising me that it was time to renew my TV Licence - press here to continue, etc., etc.

As I pay my TV Licence monthly by direct debit I thought this was a bit odd, so I contacted my bank - but they were unable to tell me if the DD had an end date, or why I should need to renew.

If you get one of these emails - and it is a very convincing fake - if you phone TV Licencing on 0300 790 6165 you can listen to a very detailed and useful list of things that will be included in an email if it is genuinely from them so that you can easily identify its veracity. They also tell you where to forward it to for it to be investigated.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton

Simple rule dont ever click on a link from an unsolicited email even if it looks genuine.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The scams change constantly but the perpetrators tend to stay the same

4FD950DE00000578-6144747-image-m-31_1536356923135.jpg

Stay Alert, Don't be naive, Think before you vote :thumbsup:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The scams change constantly but the perpetrators tend to stay the same

View attachment 126095

Stay Alert, Don't be naive, Think before you vote :thumbsup:
Unnecessary bit of cheap politicising that belongs on the Brexit thread. Would be incredibly stupid if anyone pitched in to get this thread removed to the bear pit. If it only saves one person from being scammed, it's worth more than a cheap swipe.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Unnecessary bit of cheap politicising that belongs on the Brexit thread. Would be incredibly stupid if anyone pitched in to get this thread removed to the bear pit. If it only saves one person from being scammed, it's worth more than a cheap swipe.

It was a joke, and I agree if it stops someone getting scammed, this thread is well worthwhile. I've had the same e-mail and it is very well done.

(And, to be fair, a very good case could be made for it going on the Covid subforum as well :wink:)

Last edited:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

The real website will also tell you if you owe anything.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Had the same thing on 3 or 4 occasions but as i pay my licence fee annually in a different month than the stated month i just binned off the e.mail. they're effing tossers trying to steal off anyone, w*nkers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here