Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Clive Tyldesley

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Sacked as ITV main commentator, Sam Matterface to replace him.

Sad day for football commentary, as good as Matterface is Tyldesley was a master, always adding a touch of colour, painting a picture of proceedings. Will always be remembered for those immortal words '...that balmy night in Barcelona'.

Thanks for the memories Clive. Not sure if this has anything to do with the recent enquiries into the sad racial bias in football commentary. Hopefully he will pick up some work elsewhere, maybe Sky??

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Sad day for football commentary, as good as Matterface is Tyldesley was a master, always adding a touch of colour, painting a picture of proceedings. Will always be remembered for those immortal words '...that balmy night in Barcelona'.

Thanks for the memories Clive. Not sure if this has anything to do with the recent enquiries into the sad racial bias in football commentary. Hopefully he will pick up some work elsewhere, maybe Sky??

Never heard of him or Sam Whatsisface?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Never really liked Tyldesley as a commentator, but then again I would avoid ITV football coverage as much as possible whoever was behind the mic.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Tyldesley and Townsend were the opposite of a commentary dream team, for me (Clive).

However, I've heard him interviewed and he comes across as a nice enough bloke. I think he's got a few different business ventures going on, so it's probably the right time for a change. Matterface is a big loss for TalkShite though (unless he's going to carry on doing the PL stuff there and CL on ITV :shrug:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
In case you didn't know Sam Matterface is married to Natalie Sawyer.

DQ6CN06W4AEcI5Y.jpg

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
In case you didn't know Sam Matterface is married to Natalie Sawyer.

View attachment 126084

They got divorced about 5 years ago. Have you ever seen one of the tweets he sent her which reads something along the lines of ‘ you have the best boobies I’ve ever seen’ :lol:

Matterface, has a brother named Tom :lol:

Not a huge fan of Sam to be honest, tries too hard to make every sentence some sort of spoken masterpiece by adding useless metaphors and analogies, often gets lost down a rabbit hole and just sounds daft.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Not my fave commentator, l'm much more of a BBC man, or even Sky when it comes to sport, but he has been around for a long time, so obviously has something going for him. Best of luck to him for the future.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I don't mind him too much, personally.

Love or hate him, he seems genuinely upset about being replaced, especially with no apparent reason for it.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

So he hasn't been sacked. He is still working for ITV. Maybe I'd keep the racial bias speculation to myself unless I had firm grounds to put it out there.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I don't mind him too much, personally.

Love or hate him, he seems genuinely upset about being replaced, especially with no apparent reason for it.

Who knows what goes on behind the scenes, maybe something will come out, but maybe not. Changes like this happen. Young commentators, presenters etc replace the old. Good chance, it's just to do with the results of focus groups

I find Tyldesey way too up the arse of big clubs, but I'm guessing he's told to be like that. I like that he's prepared to properly lay into the England team when the need is called for.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
So he hasn't been sacked. He is still working for ITV. Maybe I'd keep the racial bias speculation to myself unless I had firm grounds to put it out there.

He has been sacked as their 'main' commentator, he's released a video this morning that he's angry and upset at the decision.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
These days I find most commentators much of a muchness. Though whoever was doing the talking during one of our recent games – I think the Liverpool one – was pretty annoying. Just an endless series of facts whenever a Brighton player touched the ball. Facts that we as Brighton fans already knew, and the rest of the world probably didn't care about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here