Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fitness Levels & Press of Southampton

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I'm not sure whether last night showed we're in for a really tough game against Stains or whether they put everything into last night and they'll be jaded come Thursday?

Without doubt they show superb fitness levels, they press as one, look very aggressive and dangerous on the break.

I said Thursday would be a 1 - 1 bore draw, I think I'd take that now!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I reckon this will be our hardest game of the three. A point would be great.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Agreed - especially how leggy and slow we have looked in games.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I'm not sure whether last night showed we're in for a really tough game against Stains or whether they put everything into last night and they'll be jaded come Thursday?

Without doubt they show superb fitness levels, they press as one, look very aggressive and dangerous on the break.

I said Thursday would be a 1 - 1 bore draw, I think I'd take that now!

I think their results since the restart suggest that it wasn't a case of them putting everything into it, but rather they have found some form / got their act together. I think it will be really tough down there. I'd definitely take a draw.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Fitness Levels & Press of Southampton

I agree with all of the posts.
Southampton have been very impressive post restart. A draw would be a good result.

You have to respect how they reacted post the Leicester drubbing

We have to get better at playing ‘the press’ and whilst we have improved on last season, we need to get better.

In fact I would say whisper it, but it is alright to go long now and again, as at the moment we are a little predictable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
It's not just the fact they've taken 4pts off City and United but the way they've approached those games has been really impressive.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Suspect the team GP will put out will the reflect the importance of the Newcastle match next Monday which will be targeted as a more realistic chance of points. Expecting a weaker side to be put out for Stains than for Newcastle. I'd like to see full strength sides put out for both but would be very surprised if GP doesn't repeat what he did against City.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
We have gone to wolves, Leicester and Sheffield utd recently and drawn. No reason we cant do it at saints, who have been poor at home this season.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Southampton have been very good since the restart. Tore Watford apart, stymied a rampant City with impressive discipline and deservedly get a point at a good Utd side. Saints start the game heavy favourites, a point would be very nice thank you very much

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Suspect the team GP will put out will the reflect the importance of the Newcastle match next Monday which will be targeted as a more realistic chance of points. Expecting a weaker side to be put out for Stains than for Newcastle. I'd like to see full strength sides put out for both but would be very surprised if GP doesn't repeat what he did against City.
Think fans will be SERIOUSLY pissed off if this happens. It's about time we played our best side for the last 3 games. Feels like every game we are resting players for the next game at the moment. We have 5 subs so we can make them during the game.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
We have to approach all thre of the games as if our livesdepended on it, our PL survival does depend on it.

Stains may well be on form, but we've not been too bad over the last 5 games, and we have a score to settle, we were by far the better team in September ( Or whenever the home game was!)

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It amazes me how many people don't rate our ability to compete.

Last 5 away games unbeaten.
Dogged draws against form teams.
Coming from behind to win/draw games.

What have the team/manager got to do before you stop running them down before a ball is kicked.
Potter decided we would get nothing against City and rested players.
He also had a look at Bernardo and Ali J, to assess where they were at and whether they should feature in our critical final 3 games.

Now everyone thinks we're incapable of picking up a point.

You don't think our final 3 teams will be hoping that lamptey/Trossard/Dunk/Maupay aren't playing?
That we don't pose a single threat?

Chin up people!
What would Liam think?

Last edited:

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
It would be good if we could play the way we did against Liverpool when we play the Saints, excluding the first 10 mins that is.
Get the 3 points and job done, it will save all the anxiousness in the next 2 games and we can actually take the foot off and relax as well.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I think we can get a point at Southampton and he'll put out a side that can do this. Lamptey, Stephens, Maupay and Burn only played 20 minutes or so last week. Mac Allister didn't play at all, I'm sure they'll feature. I'd like to see Ali J given a good go too - he looked really up for it when he came on.

We've had four days off since the last game and there are three clear days before our next one: Saints will only have had two days, I think there's a definitely a good chance of a draw.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
We have gone to wolves, Leicester and Sheffield utd recently and drawn. No reason we cant do it at saints, who have been poor at home this season.

Quite a staggering difference. Relegation spot in home table, Champions League spot in away table. :eek:

Although I guess post-lockdown form is different to pre-lockdown, but still...

homeandaway.JPG

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Teams generally raise their game against the likes of Liverpool, City, Utd. We are unlikely to see as strong a southampton side as City and Utd faced. I'm not saying it will be easy, or that they won't still be too much for us, just that it won't be the same saints that took 4 points off the two of the teams that have tore us apart recently.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

If he's not careful then, he may soon put out a team reflecting the need to play our strong 11 in the first game of next season

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I think we can get a point at Southampton and he'll put out a side that can do this. Lamptey, Stephens, Maupay and Burn only played 20 minutes or so last week. Mac Allister didn't play at all, I'm sure they'll feature. I'd like to see Ali J given a good go too - he looked really up for it when he came on.

We've had four days off since the last game and there are three clear days before our next one: Saints will only have had two days, I think there's a definitely a good chance of a draw.

Good post. It's the Ali J conundrum I don't get - he looks first class at times.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
We need to be wary of the press as we struggle against teams that do it well.

Many on here think we piss about at the back too much.
In general we tend to mix it up more away from home and against teams that press well.

I strongly suspect this is why Dan Burn is preferred at Left back.
We didn't have the option against City and struggled to get any possession from the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here