Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] While the whole world 'zigged' - what were you doing to 'zag'?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
My dad is good at this one. He and my mum watched the 1966 World Cup final at his sister's somewhere in the countryside. When they lost the TV signal with not long to go and the score at 2-1, he presumed the win and they went for a stroll in the country. Got back to be told about the return of the signal, and extra time, Hurst's hat-trick etc.

15 years later, during the summer holidays, he took my mum out again, I think to someone's wedding, leaving me and my brother at home watching the test match. He wasn't going to miss much as England had followed on and were heading for an innings defeat, on the fourth day, against Australia, at Headingly....

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Back in 2001 we were camping in Yosemite national park, we thought we’d have breakfast in one of the hotels in the park before going off on a day hike. We noticed quite a few people were watching the tv but didn’t think much of it. Off we went for the day and returned to the camp site for the night. Only the next day did we by chance see a newspaper in a vending machine with a photo of the twin towers.

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
On the day of Diana's funeral I was in Dublin for a job interview. I got picked up at the airport at 10am and driven to a pub where I was told to be back at 6pm.
I went around the shops, did the Guinness tour and went back to the pub to watch Ireland play someone on the TV there.
The boss duly turned up at six and drove me to Malahide. We did our business over a chinese meal, went on a pub crawl, then to a social club, then to someone's house where songs were sung around the kitchen table before I was dropped off at a B&B and told to be up at 10am the next day.
I had a lovely breakfast and was driven to Malahide Castle where we walked around and I was told I didn't have the skills for the job and then taken back to the airport for my flight back to Gatwick.
The best job interview I failed.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
As Johnny Wilkinson was kicking the drop goal that won us the 2003 Rugby World Cup I was outside my sister's flat in Leicester sitting in a taxi with the meter running, cursing out my mates who I'd driven up with the night before because they'd rather watch England win the Rugby World cup than be sure of catching our train to Nottingham and thus the pre-match Hooters drinks that we had planned before playing Notts County that afternoon.

Twats.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
The night before Diana's funeral I went to an all nighter at The Empire in Bognor, then in the morning onto an after party in Littlehampton. I was completely off my tits and jumped on a train back to Shoreham from Littlehampton at some point, I zoned out watching the world go by and didn't realise where I was until East Croydon. I jumped on a train back to Shoreham but fell asleep and ended up back in.........Littlehampton.

Forward to march 2011, the earthquake strikes and we were evacuated from our office so myself and a colleague went to the nearest pub, sat at the bar and watched live TV reports of the tsunamis roll in. We were the only people drinking in there and at that point we realised we were in an area of Tokyo bay below sea level, so in our infinite wisdom decided to go upstairs and get a table.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I can combine [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION]'s 9/11 ignorance with [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION]'s sailing excuse.

On the day of 9/11, I was on a yacht completing my day skipper qualification.

We headed back into harbour in the early evening, in a great mood and ready for a few beers and some food, to find it was a ghost town, with anyone that was around barely speaking. We had absolutely no idea why.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
On the Princess Di theme, I was on nights and woke up to the news that she had passed away.
Went to work the next night *early, as her body was being flown into Northolt.
*Traffic and paparazzi.

The day I got married to Mrs AR, thinking she's my soul mate.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
#ThrowsArmsInTheAirInDispair

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Two brothers, Dad and I were also cheering on Sussex at Guildford on the day of the wedding. That left Mum at home with viewing uninterrupted by the cynical comments of the rest of the family. I wonder how many in the ground that day were primarily attending to avoid the big day.
Mate and I were also at Guildford that day. Partly memorable for me because Imran insisted on bowling to me in the outfield warm-up between innings and my hands have probably never recovered.

Sent from my SM-A105G using Tapatalk

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Mate and I were also at Guildford that day. Partly memorable for me because Imran insisted on bowling to me in the outfield warm-up between innings and my hands have probably never recovered.

Just as an aside, I looked up the scores for that game. Sussex actually got a decent first innings score, even though Imran was the only player to get 50. It wasn't a happy story for the rest of the match, Surrey matched our total and we then got skittled out for 127 - only Phillipson getting above 30 - Teddy Thomas got a five-fer. That was the year, of course, that we missed out on the CC by two points.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
#ThrowsArmsInTheAirInDispair

It's hard to think of events that the whole world zigged for that don't involve royals. Wars tend to be drawn out, and a lot of things people all sat round the TV for were before the time of many people. Modern day 'moments' tend to compete with 999 tv channels, video games, cinemas with 10 screens, etc. People don't all zig together as much as we used to.

Moon landing
1966 World Cup win
Kennedy Assassination
Moon Landing

Were all so long ago many people responding were too young or not around. It only really leaves

Royal Weddings
Royal funerals
9/11

Maybe we need more of a list of where the world Zigged, and people can say where they were at those times.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Just as an aside, I looked up the scores for that game. Sussex actually got a decent first innings score, even though Imran was the only player to get 50. It wasn't a happy story for the rest of the match, Surrey matched our total and we then got skittled out for 127 - only Phillipson getting above 30 - Teddy Thomas got a five-fer. That was the year, of course, that we missed out on the CC by two points.

I'd forgotten how crucial that was. I suspect we were playing in the same game of 'bin cricket' on the outfield that day? The other thing Paul Moss always reminds me of that day is being shouted at by Robin Jackman for moving behind the flimsy sightscreen. I miss County cricket!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's hard to think of events that the whole world zigged for that don't involve royals. Wars tend to be drawn out, and a lot of things people all sat round the TV for were before the time of many people. Modern day 'moments' tend to compete with 999 tv channels, video games, cinemas with 10 screens, etc. People don't all zig together as much as we used to.

Moon landing
1966 World Cup win
Kennedy Assassination
Moon Landing

Were all so long ago many people responding were too young or not around. It only really leaves

Royal Weddings
Royal funerals
9/11

Maybe we need more of a list of where the world Zigged, and people can say where they were at those times.

It wasn't meant in the most literal sense.

I did throw in an Ashes victory, I'll hazard a guess that wasn't must watch TV in Uzbekistan.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It wasn't meant in the most literal sense.

I did throw in an Ashes victory, I'll hazard a guess that wasn't must watch TV in Uzbekistan.

Yeah, I get that, but even in a general sense, there seem to be fewer events that people ask 'where were you when...' because we all tivo/sky+ things and so many options to occupy our time, and people get such individualised feeds, that the time something happened can be different for everyone. Some see it on facebook right away, some find out on the evening news, etc. That living in the moment of the thing seems so rare these days, that maybe the world zigs, but we all do it at our own time, when we catch up on our phones or tablets and so on.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'd forgotten how crucial that was. I suspect we were playing in the same game of 'bin cricket' on the outfield that day? The other thing Paul Moss always reminds me of that day is being shouted at by Robin Jackman for moving behind the flimsy sightscreen. I miss County cricket!

I suspect we did play some bin cricket: was Kieran there too?

I'd forgotten about Thomas so I looked up his stats. I was shocked to see he'd died at the age of 53. He had MS which forced his early retirement. That's sad, he was a decent cricketer.

I miss county cricket too - that was a great season. That superb Ashes series and Sussex just missing out on the CC (and that's not to mention the Maccabi games we played!)

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
1983, we'd been on a family holiday, and my Dad had a ticket for a certain Cup Final. Anyway we dropped him off at a railway station on the way back home and he gave my Mum instructions on how to drive the rest of the way and be home in time for kick-off. You can probably guess what happened next... anyway rather than watching the goal that Smith DID score I found myself being chauffeured around the nether regions of Surrey. We eventually got back in time for the second half.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Back in 2001 we were camping in Yosemite national park, we thought we’d have breakfast in one of the hotels in the park before going off on a day hike. We noticed quite a few people were watching the tv but didn’t think much of it. Off we went for the day and returned to the camp site for the night. Only the next day did we by chance see a newspaper in a vending machine with a photo of the twin towers.

Sounds like you lucked out then - you also got to miss that God-awful match against Southampton! By far and away the weirdest atmosphere at a match I've ever experienced.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here