Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] While the whole world 'zigged' - what were you doing to 'zag'?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't want 'I was 6 months old, in 1966, my dad held me up to the TV as Geoff Hurst won the Won Cup', tired old bollox.

Inspired by Gwylan on the Live Aid discussion, this thread is dedicated to those times when you just weren't!

Gwy reminded me, as the planet wept for the Princess of Heart's funeral me and a mate embarked on a Virtual Pool marathon on the Playstation One.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I don't want 'I was 6 months old, in 1966, my dad held me up to the TV as Geoff Hurst won the Won Cup', tired old bollox.

Inspired by Gwylan on the Live Aid discussion, this thread is dedicated to those times when you just weren't!

Gwy reminded me, as the planet wept for the Princess of Heart's funeral me and a mate embarked on a Virtual Pool marathon on the Playstation One.

I'd got up and put the TV on to the news about Di....went up and told the Mrs, then went off to a fishing competition :shrug:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I'd got up and put the TV on to the news about Di....went up and told the Mrs, then went off to a fishing competition :shrug:

Similar - saw the news, got up and went to Butlins for a day trip (because that used to be a thing)

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Mostly I took lots of drugs and was very wasted while big events (and small ones too) happened. Can't really remember them all that well for precise details.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This doesn't have to be Princess Diana related. :lolol:

'Could have watched the moon landings, but the new edition of Beano had just arrived'.

Oh actually I've got another one.

I'd watched most of the Cardiff ? test in 2005 ? (the nail biting one ending with an Aussie tickle down leg side), t'other half was getting increasingly antzy as she wanted to go sailing and we were going to 'miss the tide'.

I ended up bailing out with a couple of overs to go.
For the fateful delivery, that set the tone of the summer, I was 200 yards away driving down North Lane!.

The rest of the day was quiet. :lolol:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Oh actually I've got another one.

I'd watched most of the Cardiff ? test in 2005 ? (the nail biting one ending with an Aussie tickle down leg side), t'other half was getting increasingly antzy as she wanted to go sailing and we were going to 'miss the tide'.

I ended up bailing out with a couple of overs to go.
For the fateful delivery, that set the tone of the summer, I was 200 yards away driving down North Lane!.

The rest of the day was quiet. :lolol:

That's an unexpected little glimpse of Stat Bro life!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
When all of H Block used to stand up and gormlessly proclaim to Hate Palace, I'd always remain seated and state loudly that I liked them, they were The Team Of The Eighties. Never meant a word of it of course. Nor stated it THAT loudly :moo:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That's an unexpected little glimpse of Stat Bro life!

Very much NOT my life I just tagged along for what were thoroughly unenjoyable experiences.

I once went out for a sail with the fella who taught her the ropes, so to speak, at that point it all made sense.
I was a beautiful long sleek yacht and for the duration he was nervous as hell about everything and everyone.

It's hard to explain the levels of panic.
If it were local and we were leaving Brighton marina, within 5 minutes he would have been shitting himself about hitting the Isle of Wight, that panicked.

Sadly that was the main takeaway from her lessons.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
As the planet wept for the Princess of Heart's funeral me and a mate embarked on a Virtual Pool marathon on the Playstation One.

I did watch some of that, partly because the then Mrs G was watching it and partly because I had a stinking cold and didn't fancy going anywhere.

However, I didn't see a minute of her wedding as I was at Guildford watching Sussex play Surrey (Imran scored a heap of runs but no-one else did).

I also missed Brenda's Golden Jubilee as I was on my way to Prague to stay with a mate for a few days. (I arrived back while the England v Argentina WC match was on, I saw the second half in a pub near Stansted).

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
2004 Play off Final in Cardiff. I won a holiday in a Sunday Times competition and arrived on a Greek island the day before. Couldn't find anywhere with a telly showing it. Eventually received a text from my son, who was there, saying Brighton had been awarded a pen. "in the last minute", and then nothing. About two agonising hours later, I got another text with the result. Made substantial inroads into the island's stocks of Greek brandy that evening though.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
More Diana news I'm afraid.

I watched the funeral in St Vincent's hospital, Manhatten, whilst a mate had a stent put up his nose after a mass brawl in a Greenwich Village bar.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I did watch some of that, partly because the then Mrs G was watching it and partly because I had a stinking cold and didn't fancy going anywhere.

However, I didn't see a minute of her wedding as I was at Guildford watching Sussex play Surrey (Imran scored a heap of runs but no-one else did).

I also missed Brenda's Golden Jubilee as I was on my way to Prague to stay with a mate for a few days. (I arrived back while the England v Argentina WC match was on, I saw the second half in a pub near Stansted).

Two brothers, Dad and I were also cheering on Sussex at Guildford on the day of the wedding. That left Mum at home with viewing uninterrupted by the cynical comments of the rest of the family. I wonder how many in the ground that day were primarily attending to avoid the big day.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
When all of H Block used to stand up and gormlessly proclaim to Hate Palace, I'd always remain seated and state loudly that I liked them, they were The Team Of The Eighties. Never meant a word of it of course. Nor stated it THAT loudly :moo:

On a related note, when FFS was subbed off at the Amex, having yet again scored the winning goal against us, and the whole of West Upper were booing as if they were 12 and their ex girlfriend had just won a prize, me (and the lad next to me, but I started it) stood and clapped him off.

But my main one is that I never thought much of Marilyn Monroe as a sex symbol.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But my main one is that I never thought much of Marilyn Monroe as a sex symbol.

Munter

Marilyn-Monroe-Pictures.jpg

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I went to the pictures when Princess Anne got married the first time, I went on holiday on the day of Princess Diana’s funeral. Absolutely no traffic on the road.

I can’t remember seeing any Royal Weddings, I usually work.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Jesus wept - you lot are worse than The Daily Express.

Mods I need a thread title change - 'Where were you during each Royal Wedding' should cover it! :lol:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I went to play cricket. We lost.

I also missed the first half of the 1990 World Cup Semi as I was working ion the Co Op.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Jesus wept - you lot are worse than The Daily Express.

Mods I need a thread title change - 'Where were you during each Royal Wedding' should cover it! :lol:

TBF the whole world only zigs for Royal stuff and the World Cup. Who is going to zag when the World Cup is on ? It’s your own fault and you are just going to have to live with it. Now, don’t you think the Queen is looking good for her age ?

Edit- I’ve just remembered another one. I played cricket in Lewes on the day of Live Aid although I still managed to listen to a lot of it through headphones.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here