Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Withdean Stadium circa 1960? Who loves these enhanced photos?

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I cannot date the initial photo but there were to my knowledge three events at Withdean that generated vast crowds. One was the appearance of the Wombles but the crowd do not look as they were there for that. On another occasion the Brighton B52 American Football team played a game at Withdean and the crown was estimated at nearly 10,000. Finally a charity football Match at Withdean between a showbiz team and a team managed by George Gunn. The Showbiz team had Rod Stewart amongst its players. Jess Conrad was the goalkeeper. Also playing were Bobby Robson and Len Duquemin. I was lucky enough to be in George's team running up and down the wing' sometimes with the ball! That game gereated a hugh crowd and the changing rooms were under the old stand and so the players would have been walking off in the direction as it the photo. Chris Carter

Did you tackle Rod Stewart?
I dont know if these pics will be legible, but here goes...
file0002.jpg

june-1948.jpg

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The chap in the grey v neck with the huge lump on his forehead was typical of players who repeatedly headed the ball, as the balls then were very much less forgiving than the modern ball.

I have temporarily forgotten his name but in the 1970s Brighton had a forward bald except for long blond hair to the back of his head every photo of him showed an almost identical lump what long term damage this must cause no wonder things have changed

Ricky Marlowe?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I cannot date the initial photo but there were to my knowledge three events at Withdean that generated vast crowds. One was the appearance of the Wombles but the crowd do not look as they were there for that. On another occasion the Brighton B52 American Football team played a game at Withdean and the crown was estimated at nearly 10,000. Finally a charity football Match at Withdean between a showbiz team and a team managed by George Gunn. The Showbiz team had Rod Stewart amongst its players. Jess Conrad was the goalkeeper. Also playing were Bobby Robson and Len Duquemin. I was lucky enough to be in George's team running up and down the wing' sometimes with the ball! That game gereated a hugh crowd and the changing rooms were under the old stand and so the players would have been walking off in the direction as it the photo. Chris Carter

That’s from ex Olympic athlete, Chris Carter no less. Welcome. Shouldn’t you be on the Official Running Thread?

Richard's Dad

Aug 13, 2019
No, I did not tackle Rod Stewart. I was the old style winger just ran up and down the wing, you could get hurt tackling people! I had my young son with me in the changing rooms so he could have gone back to school on the Monday and say he had seen a naked Rod Stewart. Not much to see anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here