Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Withdean Stadium circa 1960? Who loves these enhanced photos?

Firingblanks1

Oct 4, 2004
North Portslade actually
Gave all the original monos and Albion glass plates to the club in 2013 - there were 100s of great memorabilia from 1929 to 1963 and one or two now appear on the concourse. The Cricket ones went to Sussex. Still got all the hi-res of everything. All plates are at the Keep.
Not going to colourise them as would need hours on photoshop to ensure the blues and reds were good enough. Already getting enough stick from some about the colourising of some of the buses in the collection.
www.spcolourcollection.com

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Gave all the original monos and Albion glass plates to the club in 2013 - there were 100s of great memorabilia from 1929 to 1963 and one or two now appear on the concourse. The Cricket ones went to Sussex. Still got all the hi-res of everything. All plates are at the Keep.
Not going to colourise them as would need hours on photoshop to ensure the blues and reds were good enough. Already getting enough stick from some about the colourising of some of the buses in the collection.

Wonderful collection, can you confirm what the Withdean photo was at the top of this thread please?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Well Withdean has been used for many things during it's existence, a zoo, Italian prisoner of war camp, athetics club, football stadium etc.

What it was used for in 1960 l have no idea.

Firingblanks1

Oct 4, 2004
North Portslade actually
Well Withdean has been used for many things during it's existence, a zoo, Italian prisoner of war camp, athetics club, football stadium etc.

What it was used for in 1960 l have no idea.

Prison of war camp. Didn’t know that. Do you have any history on that and dates?
Got some great pics of the building of Withdean in 1937 that I am going to post on Brighton Past Facebook site later in the week[emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Prison of war camp. Didn’t know that. Do you have any history on that and dates?
Got some great pics of the building of Withdean in 1937 that I am going to post on Brighton Past Facebook site later in the week[emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not sure to be honest, l seem to remember it was towards the end of the war before they were repatriotated to Italy, but l may be wrong.

I imagine you will find some details about it online.

Richard's Dad

Aug 13, 2019
I cannot date the initial photo but there were to my knowledge three events at Withdean that generated vast crowds. One was the appearance of the Wombles but the crowd do not look as they were there for that. On another occasion the Brighton B52 American Football team played a game at Withdean and the crown was estimated at nearly 10,000. Finally a charity football Match at Withdean between a showbiz team and a team managed by George Gunn. The Showbiz team had Rod Stewart amongst its players. Jess Conrad was the goalkeeper. Also playing were Bobby Robson and Len Duquemin. I was lucky enough to be in George's team running up and down the wing' sometimes with the ball! That game gereated a hugh crowd and the changing rooms were under the old stand and so the players would have been walking off in the direction as it the photo. Chris Carter

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Tennis courts back in the day

Wyh1.jpg

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing

The chap in the grey v neck with the huge lump on his forehead was typical of players who repeatedly headed the ball, as the balls then were very much less forgiving than the modern ball.

I have temporarily forgotten his name but in the 1970s Brighton had a forward bald except for long blond hair to the back of his head every photo of him showed an almost identical lump what long term damage this must cause no wonder things have changed

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here