Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] NSC Advice Needed - Buying a timber framed house

HankSkorpio

Jan 2, 2011
Eastbourne
Hello all,

Mrs S and me are considering moving to a detatched timber framed house with a brick skin built in the 1990's on an estate possibly built by Galliford Sears.

We have always lived in brick/block houses so have no experience of timber framed houses.

Reading online it appears they can suffer from pest/damp/movement (affecting shower cubicle tiles).

The current owners have put up a single storey extension, I understand this may be a potential issue if not done properly?

What happens when you hang for example kitchen cupboards on external walls and potentially damage the water proof membrane?

We would look to knock though dining room/lounge, how easy would this be as the walls are all stud, how can you tell if it is supporting?

They are cheaper to build, are they cheaper to buy?

We would have it surveyed but would appreciated any NSCers experience, pros, cons etc.

Thanks

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
If it puts your mind at rest I helped erect hundreds of these in London in the 80s and they're all still standing and the value of them still increases year on year , my brother in law who I worked for was and still is involved in the industry and still lives in one of the houses we erected in Hillingdon , he's done loads of work including a extension and a room in the roof with no problems at all , I wish all houses were timber framed as I used to get a extra fiver for every window frame I put in :D

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
I live in one (self) built in the late 60's by Colt, as are all the houses on my side of the street. We paid about £95k for it and its worth about £500k now.

We've been here over 30 years and never had any problems. Raised 2 kids here.

We've had a 2 floor extension built, built new kitchen (twice), upgraded central heating, replaced boiler (twice), new windows, new porch, all without any problems.

V warm in winter and gas/elec efficient, v cool in summer. we/ve improved the loft insulation.

Yes they creak a bit as the weather warms/cools but no probs at all

Several of our neighbours have had similar extensions built, incl one that's going up as I type (being built by the guy who lives there).

I like 'em.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Can you get a mortgage on a timber frame house?

The simple answer is yes - you can find lenders who will provide mortgages on timber-framed houses. However, when compared with getting a mortgage on more traditional forms of housing, there are far more variables that could come into play, often making it more of a challenge.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I maybe really off on a tangent here but are a lot of timber frame houses a mixture of timber frame, internal blockwork and steel girders? Only asking because I own a flat which I rent out which is such a mixture of building materials because neighbour's either side have integral garages with blockwork for fire proofing. The complete terrace has very little pure timber frame. The only thing I have trouble with the flat is it needs good air circulation otherwise tenants are usually fighting a losing battle with mold in 'cold' spots.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
We have a single-storey extension that's made with a timber frame and it's supported on piers rather than a concrete trench. Saved us a lot of money at the time and very eco too, we thought.

Trouble is, it's incredibly easy for rodents to get underneath, and inside, and from there they have access to the rest of the house. Yesterday I removed a massive dead rat caught in a trap in the upstairs eaves.

Probably veered a little off-topic, so apologies if that's the case. We're in the process of building a bigger ground floor extension, replacing the timber one, and it will be brick-built, with proper foundations.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Personally, I wood-n’t buy one.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Can you get a mortgage on a timber frame house?

The simple answer is yes - you can find lenders who will provide mortgages on timber-framed houses. However, when compared with getting a mortgage on more traditional forms of housing, there are far more variables that could come into play, often making it more of a challenge.

For what its worth; I didn't have a problem getting the mortgage, or adding to it when we built the extension - no probs with house insurance either.

We live in a road of 13 of the same self-built Colt houses and when they're put on the market they sell v v quickly.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I live in a timber framed house, and haven't had nor do have, a problem with damp. We've been here for 16 years and had no problem getting a mortgage for it either.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here