Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How much better are we, one year on?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
So, yeah, it’s been a year or so since we made our ‘progressive’ appointment. The question being, just how much or indeed little genuine progress have we made?

No loaded question, just after thoughts...

My thoughts centre around two fine managers, two wholly differing approaches, same singular outcome. We’ve found a new way to win, and a new way to lose - with style? Hmmmmmmmm

Points wise, we’ve not really progressed, style wise (sometimes) yes, sometimes not really for me. The highs we saw under CH (at this level) Utd at home (for a start) were brilliant deserved victories as was this year at Arsenal... ultimately though, if you remove the gloss... yes we’ve arrested the CH slide, but not really much else.

The core of our squad remains, unable to push beyond its obvious limitations and thus a rebuild is required... that or a bigger influx of academy level Alzate types... who can cut it.

Two different approaches, same outcome = obvious issue with resources. I sincerely hope we let a few move on this summer as apposed to hoping GP can finally turn Dale Stephens (for example) into Patrick Viera.

It’s that or settle for our perennial battle against the rest of the bottom five.

Money will be a real issue, so I suspect youth is the road map but surely we all recognise the dire need for actual ****ing quality.

Thoughts?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
My quick capsule review assuming we stay up. I’ve seen enough to know Potter will be an excellent manager for us and I back him and his football philosophy long term regardless of division we’re in.

If he keeps us up during this season of transition where we’re re-defining the team style and philosophy, and considering the young players we’ve blooded, it’s been a very good year imo.

I suspect we’ll see ongoing changes to the first team squad from this summer.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
My quick capsule review assuming we stay up. I’ve seen enough to know Potter will be an excellent manager for us and I back him and his football philosophy long term regardless of division we’re in.

If he keeps us up during this season of transition where we’re re-defining the team style and philosophy, and considering the young players we’ve blooded, it’s been a very good year imo.

I suspect we’ll see ongoing changes to the first team squad from this summer.

I wasn’t suggesting this season is over, moreover just reflecting on the rather humbling displays at home of late...

I tend, however, to agree with your viewpoint - genuinely like and embrace the GP ethos but I think it’s high time we pointed the finger at the players for their fragility. Ultimately if TB et al want progress they need to invest in both the continuation of the youth policy and in (slightly more) proven quality. To hope to achieve a top 10 finish shopping (almost entirely) at home bargains is, imho, a fools hope.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
So, yeah, it’s been a year or so since we made our ‘progressive’ appointment. The question being, just how much or indeed little genuine progress have we made?

My thoughts centre around two fine managers, two wholly differing approaches, same singular outcome. We’ve found a new way to win, and a new way to lose - with style? Hmmmmmmmm

Points wise, we’ve not really progressed, style wise (sometimes) yes, sometimes not really for me. The highs we saw under CH (at this level) Utd at home (for a start) were brilliant deserved victories as was this year at Arsenal... ultimately though, if you remove the gloss... yes we’ve arrested the CH slide, but not really much else.

The core of our squad remains, unable to push beyond its obvious limitations and thus a rebuild is required... that or a bigger influx of academy level Alzate types... who can cut it.

Two different approaches, same outcome = obvious issue with resources. I sincerely hope we let a few move on this summer as apposed to hoping GP can finally turn Dale Stephens (for example) into Patrick Viera.

It’s that or settle for our perennial battle against the rest of the bottom five.

Money will be a real issue, so I suspect youth is the road map but surely we all recognise the dire need for actual ****ing quality.

Thoughts?

I agree with everything in your post.

But I think the big thing in comparing the last two seasons is that the younger players are a year older, there is a lot of talent and Potter seems better at introducing and nurturing than CH.

Also with 3 games to go, there is a possibility we gain more points, so we may look a lot better yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I cant say anything about the Hughton era.

All I can say really is that Potter took over one of the possibly worst (in terms of the type of quality needed) squads in the top two leagues if you consider his ideas and turned it into a decent playing side, but there's a big journey to be made if the (true) ambitions of Potter and most likely Bloom are to be realised.

I have full faith in the project though. I think Bloom got this idea of Brighton turning into the Ajax of England, producing top players, top football, top results and economic sustainability. It certainly wont be easy but I think the club is just going to improve. A lot of teams have had a good season or two but something unique is in production here and I think the club could be establishing itself as a top club in the future. Not as much because of my man Potter than as because of Bloom.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
In answer to the thread title, much, even if the results often don’t show it

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo

All I can say really is that Potter took over one of the possibly worst teams in the top two leagues if you consider his ideas and turned it into a decent playing side, but there's a big journey to be made if the (true) ambitions of Potter and most likely Bloom are to be realised.

I have full faith in the project though. I think Bloom got this idea of Brighton turning into the Ajax of England, producing top players, top football, top results and economic sustainability. It certainly wont be easy but I think the club is just going to improve. A lot of teams have had a good season or two but something unique is in production here and I think the club could be establishing itself as a top club in the future. Not as much because of my man Potter than as because of Bloom.

What a lovely positive post.

I feel all warm.

Thank you my man, you’ve done it again!

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

Thoughts?

Funny you weren't posting this after we beat Norwich. Wait until a couple of defeats against the best two teams in the country to post it. I do despair of our fans sometimes

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton

Thoughts?

Not really the same outcome though is it

With 3 games to go we have a 5 point cushion from the bottom 3 and have already matched our points tally from last season with games to go.

We have turned from a defense first minded very formulaic system to a more attractive passing style which is both enjoyable to watch but also I’d hazard enjoyable to play for the team.

Yes we have had several disappointing results along the way, and there have been games when I’ve been frustrated at things we’ve done and teams that Potter has picked. My main frustration this season however has been us not being clinical enough in front of goal... which is a much better frustration than not even having a shot on target like the second half of last season.

We will always always struggle against REAL class in this division, last night showed us that. But on several other occasions this season we have looked like we aren’t scared.

It’s a slow slow climb in this league but we’ve taken our first step towards being something better this season

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Funny you weren't posting this after we beat Norwich. Wait until a couple of defeats against the best two teams in the country to post it. I do despair of our fans sometimes

Errrmm ok.

I’m not sure I was being too harsh, more laying the blame at the feet of our somewhat limited players.... hence the two fine managers line...

I think it’s worth noting the lack of tangible progress, progress being the something we were told to expect.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Errrmm ok.

I’m not sure I was being too harsh, more laying the blame at the feet of our somewhat limited players.... hence the two fine managers line...

I think it’s worth noting the lack of tangible progress, progress being the something we were told to expect.

Unless you have a bias, we have clearly progressed this season. The style of play has been so much better generally and we are more fun to watch

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This thread will have a wildly different feel started after a 0-5 home loss, that if it had been started after the Carrow Road win.

Trying to take away that transient, morose influence, imho:
1. Potter has in the main turned us into a more pacey, adventurous, passing team.
2. A solid debut season for Potter.
3. I’ve enjoyed watching us this season, far more than last.
4. We now know without a shadow of a doubt, that we need three or four better first teamers, to progress.
5. Some players have had their fair crack now under two managers, such as Montoya and have proved inadequate for the pace and rigours of the PL. Ashworth and Potter will deal with this shortly.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Unless you have a bias, we have clearly progressed this season. The style of play has been so much better generally and we are more fun to watch

Exactly, think what so many were screaming for at the end of last season:

- use the young players
- mix up the predictable formation and lineup
- play more expansive attacking football
- have a go at the bigger clubs
- win away at a top six club.

He has delivered all the above and equalled the points tally with three games to go.

Assuming we stay up then there can be no debate that potter has improved on Hughtons work

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Same as others, very happy with the progress made.

No mean feat for a manager in his first season at the top level, to overhaul the playing style and keep us clear of trouble for 36 games (at least).

WIth the likes of Trossard, Maupay, Lamptey and Burn coming through and improving the quality of the squad, things are looking up.

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
Potter binned off both cups which was an insult to the fans and then we get another relegation battle. Nowhere near good enough.

And so it will be next season.The whole intensity at the club needs cranking right up
Far to bloody slow all round.Get a grip up the ante on the park,work rate, bit more bottle
Be more direct get the players thinking they are good enough to compete with anyone and don’t fear anyone
Bit like Cloughie and Taylor did at Forest turned average players into a class team UTA

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
And so it will be next season.The whole intensity at the club needs cranking right up
Far to bloody slow all round.Get a grip up the ante on the park,work rate, bit more bottle
Be more direct get the players thinking they are good enough to compete with anyone and don’t fear anyone
Bit like Cloughie and Taylor did at Forest turned average players into a class team UTA

Be more direct? We have been. You can see when the ball is turned over there are three or four sprinting forward expecting a through ball. The accuracy is not always there but it's been better than the turnover and consolidate possession we've seen. Passing seems generally crisper but we do seem left wanting without a target man in the box. Bobby Zamoras and Glenn Murrays don't grow on trees but a more fluid type of football is developing.
I'm looking forward to witnessing the next couple of years, it'll be entertaining

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

All I can say really is that Potter took over one of the possibly worst (in terms of the type of quality needed) squads in the top two leagues if you consider his ideas and turned it into a decent playing side, but there's a big journey to be made if the (true) ambitions of Potter and most likely Bloom are to be realised.

Very eloquently put, and I agree. We’ve got too many impatient fans.........let’s see where we are in 2-3 season’s time. Solidly mid-table I reckon, with a handful of sought-after players being chased by bigger clubs.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea

This.
It won’t matter who our manager is if we have Propper and Stephens in the centre of the park. Bissouma has been a breath of fresh air, to take the next step we need another CM who is as mobile as he is.
I also don’t think it was ever the plan to sell Andone so Potter has been a striker down for pretty much the entire season.

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
Be more direct? We have been. You can see when the ball is turned over there are three or four sprinting forward expecting a through ball. The accuracy is not always there but it's been better than the turnover and consolidate possession we've seen. Passing seems generally crisper but we do seem left wanting without a target man in the box. Bobby Zamoras and Glenn Murrays don't grow on trees but a more fluid type of football is developing.
I'm looking forward to witnessing the next couple of years, it'll be entertaining

You must be watching a different team to me

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here