Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 12 year old boy arrested for racist abuse of Wilf

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Were the previous generations really that thick that they couldn’t think of a term like BAME, so instead went with darkies ? No wonder there is a loss of respect for our elders

Different era, different times, different attitudes. It's like pinching the office girl's arse in the 1970's, or making drink driving an offence in the 1960's - and so on. It just didn't occur to people.

As for little Mr 12 Year Old, what a wonderful job his parents have done thus far. I would imagine they are Class A bottom feeders...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Were the previous generations really that thick that they couldn’t think of a term like BAME, so instead went with darkies ? No wonder there is a loss of respect for our elders

The same generation in the UK who applauded Rosa Parks, grieved MLK’s assassination, protested against apartheid in South Africa? Generalisations are poor.
Yes, there were ‘Alf Garnetts’ but there were also many who opposed racism too.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The same generation in the UK who applauded Rosa Parks, grieved MLK’s assassination, protested against apartheid in South Africa? Generalisations are poor.

Fair point - but surprised that the OP said it

Falmer Wizard

Jun 23, 2020
When I was 12 all my friends would make monkey noises at football. Looking backI think my mum was racist ...She used to say ‘darkies’ a lot.

So did many years ago, you repeated what you heard, i was told off for describing people as black and advised i should say coloured

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A lot of people did. In the days before terms like BAME were available to the general population, darkies was considered a more acceptable and generally friendlier collective noun than calling people blacks, w*gs, n*****s or c**ns.
The way these things change, in twenty years time anybody using the term BAME will probably be roundly condemned as racist. When I was in junior school we were formally taught that the correct term to use was 'coloured people' - try using that with impunity now!

[MENTION=3462]Springal[/MENTION], there clearly were some thickos in the previous generations.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm expecting Baker Lite along very soon to say how pleased and proud he is by the speedy response to this by the Police and Premier League.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm expecting Baker Lite along very soon to say how pleased and proud he is by the speedy response to this by the Police and Premier League.

I think [MENTION=35289]Baker lite[/MENTION] is still busy trying to reconcile his view on cancel culture with his view on Gerry Adams.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015

A touch ageist? Are you tarring everyone with the same brush? You seem to be suggesting that older people are thick and deserve no respect. Just another kind of dangerous, short sighted generalizing that makes you no better than any other bigot.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
A touch ageist? Are you tarring everyone with the same brush? You seem to be suggesting that older people are thick and deserve no respect. Just another kind of dangerous, short sighted generalizing that makes you no better than any other bigot.

No of course not - but just highlighting the ridiculousness of the OPs post

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Yes, yes some of them were. And some of the current generation still are.

When I was a kid (probably about 10 or 11 - it was a long time ago), I found some Percy F Westermann adventure stories that my Dad had had when he was my age in the early 1940s. They were great stories of daring-do and gung-ho British pluck, but they were also spectacularly racist (my Dad wasn't racist at all by the way).

Also see 1970s British sit-coms. Many of them are cringingly awful when you rewatch them these days.

There was also a acting credit on an old episode of The Professionals I saw recently (forget the actor's name as I wasn't concentrating), which called his anonymous character a term I can't mention on here or anywhere else - and that was early 1980s.

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
The link to story in Independent didn't work for me. I trust his family aren't Brighton supporters?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Utter over reaction by so many on here. Wanting to hang a 12 year old and his family (wtf!) for some racist abuse when a stern word from Police will suffice. Crying out loud, he’s TWELVE and said something wrong. No need to wreck him and his families life with a social media witch-hunt.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Utter over reaction by so many on here. Wanting to hang a 12 year old and his family (wtf!) for some racist abuse when a stern word from Police will suffice. Crying out loud, he’s TWELVE and said something wrong. No need to wreck him and his families life with a social media witch-hunt.

Not only that, NSC has been judge, jury and executioners of the unknown parents.

They might be vile racists, or they could be naive, too preoccupied types who allowed the kid free reign on the internet? We need to wait and see.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
No of course not - but just highlighting the ridiculousness of the OPs post

But why is it a ridiculous post? It's simply pointing how attitudes to what is or isn't acceptable language changes over the decades. The language used by an individual in the 1960s or 1970s to describe another person of a different ethnic group from them would most likely today be totally unacceptable and rightly so, but would not necessarily have been said with any malice then, nor have made that person knowingly racist. And today's language and attitudes may similarly in a couple of generations be equally unacceptable.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004

Given there’s only around 25 responses to this thread it hasn’t taken long to reach the conclusion that the only one overreacting is you. No one has suggested hanging the lad and some have questioned the parenting.

Have you seen the words and pictures the lad posted? It’s still on Zaha’s twitter. That’s a lot of racist hate for a 12 year old.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here