Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] NSC advice needed - extending a lease

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Anyone done this recently? I have 83 years left on my lease, so it's time to renew. I assumed this would be a fairly straightfoward process but it is, of course, hideously complicated. Seeing as it will cost me in the region of £10k, I want to get it right. Thinking of going down the 'informal' route of negotiating directly with the freeholder, but not sure of the pitfalls. Any advice gratefully received!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Anyone done this recently? Any advice gratefully received!

Yes - done it several times.

Sure - get a lawyer to do it; because it can be ‘hideously complicated’, and the consequences of getting it wrong may make any future sale of the property very difficult, costly and time-consuming, worst case impossible.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I did it recently, and it was easy with a solicitor but, then again, I had joint share of the freehold. If you don't (part-)own the freehold, then you'll be best advised to do this sooner rather than later, as they'll bump up the price if it runs down.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Yes - done it several times.

Sure - get a lawyer to do it; because it can be ‘hideously complicated’, and the consequences of getting it wrong may make any future sale of the property very difficult, costly and time-consuming, worst case impossible.

This..

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
There is a complicated formula for working out just how much the extension in lease costs and this will depend on its length, the value of the property and the length of it to run (once the 80 years comes up it gets more expensive). Usually the freeholder would get the valuation done, and probably add the cost of this to their other costs, and charge you for the whole lot.
I have been going through this horrendous exercise for a relation who is part freeholder with one other, but having a number of flat within the block requiring lease extensionS.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here