Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lack of Challenge for the Number One Shirt

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Ryan has faced no threat to his place in the starting lineup since he came here. Whether that was a condition of us getting Australia’s number one, the contract guaranteeing him starting league games throughout the season regardless who knows, but neither Hughton did, nor Potter has, deviated from Ryan in the league, which suggests there maybe something in that. All around us you see form-based keeper switches - Man City and Palace springing to mind - the jersey there to be challenged for. Imho we let a very good, experienced keeper go in Tim Krul, when he could have got league game time here. How can keep your back up keepers motivated when the route through appears blocked, cup games the best bone the club will throw your way?

In saying that, I like and rate Ryan, but complacency is inevitable if you’re not having to look over your shoulder.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The problem is we took some pressure off the HGP rule by getting in Button & Steele. I’m not really sure either is actually Premier League level but it was a cheap & easy way to fill 2 HGP slots

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I like Ryan too and I think you’re right about Tim K leaving. I don’t think it’s complacency though, it’s just better when you’ve got someone on your shoulder. We seem to have a collection of can do a job keepers in waiting, but no one as you allude that’s actually going to take the jersey because they’re better. A hungry, young talent that’s chomping at the bit. Like CW for example!! :)

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
You mean: is there a contract between the club and Maty that says ‘all the time you’re under contract with the club, we guarantee you will start every league game, irrespective of your performance levels’?

Yep, I can see TB authorising such a clause. That sounds exactly the sort of thing he’d sanction.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Ryan is a very capable goalkeeper, but no better than that. He doesn’t make too many howlers and he doesn’t really makes ‘worldy’ saves. He is a £5mil goalkeeper in a market where this amount will buy most sides an able reserve goal keeper. He lets goals in that others may save but you can’t say it’s his fault.............. but you feel some keepers would make the save.

He has no competition this year as Button is a Championship keeper at best and Steele hasn’t seemEd to play at all in his 2 years here.

We either accept the Ryan is what he is or will need to spend a fair bit on a new number 1. The other alternative is hoping that Walton has progressed enough to offer him some serious competition next year!

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
You mean: is there a contract between the club and Maty that says ‘all the time you’re under contract with the club, we guarantee you will start every league game, irrespective of your performance levels’?

Yep, I can see TB authorising such a clause. That sounds exactly the sort of thing he’d sanction.

Yes, fair enough, but the player/agent may have asked for some level of guaranteed playing time for a new to the top flight, mid-sized club landing a keeper of his international stature, albeit with Australia, but also rated in Spain. All speculation I appreciate.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Ryan is a remarkable sweeper keeper. Absolute top class with the ball at his feet. His point blank shot stopping is good. He struggles against quality shots in the corners and he fails to dominate his area at set pieces- this could be down to (dare I say it) his relatively short reach.

It is very unlikely we would be able to attract a sweeper keeper that ticks every box. I don't believe that having another quality goalkeeper challenging for his shirt would necessarily improve his performances - I think we are just seeing his limitations exposed, that have always been there.

We don't have a huge budget. We don't want to buy another first team keeper - if we did want to replace Ryan, it would likely be at the expense of a quality sweeper keeper. Perhaps the best option would be to have an experienced number 2 (as we do) with a young player (Walton?) playing cup games and challenging Ryan for his spot in the future.

Just added something, but I agree with everything else you've said

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In the three years he’s been with us, Ryan’s form has been very consistent imho. And from what I’ve read and heard about Ryan, he’s also a very dedicated and professional person and not someone who will consciously rest on his laurels. All things considered I’m quite happy with the current ‘keeping situation at the club.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Ryan has faced no threat to his place in the starting lineup since he came here. Whether that was a condition of us getting Australia’s number one, the contract guaranteeing him starting league games throughout the season regardless who knows, but neither Hughton did, nor Potter has, deviated from Ryan in the league, which suggests there maybe something in that. All around us you see form-based keeper switches - Man City and Palace springing to mind - the jersey there to be challenged for. Imho we let a very good, experienced keeper go in Tim Krul, when he could have got league game time here. How can keep your back up keepers motivated when the route through appears blocked, cup games the best bone the club will throw your way?

In saying that, I like and rate Ryan, but complacency is inevitable if you’re not having to look over your shoulder.

You honestly believe there is a contractual obligation to pick Ryan?

Krul was given the opportunity to be No.1 at Norwich and play every week. Who wouldn't take that. Besides, Krul is prone to mistakes, very glaringly against Arsenal.

Ryan is the best Keeper we have had for decades. People need to remember all keepers make mistakes, De Gae, Lloris. This week Ederson got caught out at Soton and Alisson not dissimilar against us at Anfield. We were playing Man City and there were mistakes in front of him that left him exposed. It wasn't his best but FFS, everyone once in a while has an off game.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We lose heavily at home to a team that has spent £1.2b and counting on players and have tanked quite a few other teams this season.

Am I bothered - no

Also why because of this does everyone consider a raft of our players unsuitable and suddenly crap ?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
In the three years he’s been with us, Ryan’s form has been very consistent imho. And from what I’ve read and heard about Ryan, he’s also a very dedicated and professional person and not someone who will consciously rest on his laurels. All things considered I’m quite happy with the current ‘keeping situation at the club.

It’s not a position I would be prioritising this summer. He’s a solid performer.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

Agreed

(You saves me a lot of typing )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

This (apart from your very last sentence). Ryan made a few mistakes when he first joined but soon put them behind him. This is his first drop in form since then, not bad for 3 years service in a side that has been been in or around the relegation battle each season. Every keeper makes mistakes and they normally get punished in way that is a lot easier to highlight than when your striker makes a mistake. My major concern is what we'd do if Maty got a long term injury, I don't rate Button or Steele, I think we were a lot stronger with Krul and Maenpaa as our backup keepers, but it's impossible for a club of our size to keep two keepers like that happy when the player in front of them has been a model of consistency. It's not an easy fix, would Ramsdale or Heaton for example be interested in a move knowing they'd likely be second choice behind an established keeper. It would be nice to see a hungry keeper join with the intention of taking the number one shirt from Ryan as hopefully it would mean both would improve. Sanchez is training with the first team at the moment but unable to play due to the loan at Rochdale this season, hopefully he is impressing Potter and Ben Roberts enough to be considered for next season.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Sanchez has all the attributes I would be looking for in a goalkeeper. If his development over the next year is what I hope it will be then we may well see him challenge.

With regards to Ryan, we are a premier league side who hope to avoid relegation/break into the top 10. There are not many similar clubs with goalkeepers who are a better option than Ryan and I cannot see TB or DA wanting to spend money for competition for a player who has played 100+ matches in 3 years when we have significantly greater needs across the squad

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

I'm another who agrees with this sentiment. I think goalkeeper should be the last position that we look to strengthen this window (through spending money).

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Yes, fair enough, but the player/agent may have asked for some level of guaranteed playing time for a new to the top flight, mid-sized club landing a keeper of his international stature, albeit with Australia, but also rated in Spain. All speculation I appreciate.

He wasn’t really rated in Spain though. Had lost his place in a poor Valencia side and was then sent out on loan to Belgium. Would have been madness to put anything in a contract which guaranteed him any level of football for the length of his stay with us.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm just trying to remember all the teams that made sure they had 2 obvious first choice keepers on the payroll.

Not the longest list is it?

You have a first choice and you hope your backup is good enough in an emergency.

It seems like the club have been future proofing, I guess for some the future can't come soon enough.
Today, on the back is of that SECOND half performance, isn't the day to argue against that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here