Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] The Austrian Grand Prix - take 2

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Looking forward to this.

I know lots of F1 haters visit these threads (for reasons best know to themselves :shrug:) so can I ask you to spare a minute and a half to watch Hamilton’s qualifying lap and give me your dismissive comments on how shit F1 is please :wink:

Edit it appears that you will have to click on the youtube link to see it, just do it :smile:

A 1.2 second advantage to second place is absolutely the most massive margin when you consider that most qualifying in the dry is won by tenths or even hundreths of a second

Anyone who has driven or tried to drive fast in the wet should be in awe of this clip imo

This puts to bed all those who say “yeah. but Hamilton has the best car, of course he wins”. The rain is a massive leveller, except if you are Lewis Hamilton when it makes the gap even bigger than having the best car in the dry. I am in awe of this guy’s talents

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8Eu77TjVRk

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
That circuit is very short. It makes the 1.2secs even more impressive.

Toto Wolf was talking about Lewis’ aquaplaning. I think that’s the difference, that’s his skill. You clearly have no control when you aquaplane, but if you can recognise where on the track your tyres will regain traction, you can absolutely attack wet sections on the racing line with a lot of aggression knowing you’ll have the opportunity to control the car once you’ve navigated the puddles.

Lewis was driving completely differently to every other driver using different techniques he has developed over his career.

I’ve always considered Schumacher as the GOAT with Senna & Lewis a close second but I think Lewis will take his throne when he equals his seven World Championships.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That circuit is very short. It makes the 1.2secs even more impressive.

Toto Wolf was talking about Lewis’ aquaplaning. I think that’s the difference, that’s his skill. You clearly have no control when you aquaplane, but if you can recognise where on the track your tyres will regain traction, you can absolutely attack wet sections on the racing line with a lot of aggression knowing you’ll have the opportunity to control the car once you’ve navigated the puddles.

Lewis was driving completely differently to every other driver using different techniques he has developed over his career.

I’ve always considered Schumacher as the GOAT with Senna & Lewis a close second but I think Lewis will take his throne when he equals his seven World Championships.

It was a really interesting qualifying session. Lewis built his pace slowly, balancing risk/reward through each session. His lap times built until, when it was needed, all the little risks he’d taken through the previous laps, he strung them altogether in a final breathtaking blow the rest of the field away effort.

Mention has to go to Sainz too, he’s starting to look a very capable driver.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Looking forward to this.

I know lots of F1 haters visit these threads (for reasons best know to themselves :shrug:) so can I ask you to spare a minute and a half to watch Hamilton’s qualifying lap and give me your dismissive comments on how shit F1 is please :wink:

Edit it appears that you will have to click on the youtube link to see it, just do it :smile:

A 1.2 second advantage to second place is absolutely the most massive margin when you consider that most qualifying in the dry is won by tenths or even hundreths of a second

Anyone who has driven or tried to drive fast in the wet should be in awe of this clip imo

This puts to bed all those who say “yeah. but Hamilton has the best car, of course he wins”. The rain is a massive leveller, except if you are Lewis Hamilton when it makes the gap even bigger than having the best car in the dry. I am in awe of this guy’s talents

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8Eu77TjVRk

Whilst I will concede that F1 cars are a technological marvel and F1 drivers have awe inspiring skills...

But, as a spectator sport it has become dull and boring over the past 20-25 years because of the same technological advances turning it into little more than a procession of cars.

Back in the mid90s I watched every race and enjoyed the spectacle but now... Up there amongst the least interesting things on TV.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
First ever Stryian race :lolol:

I must admit, I heard them talking about it on the radio yesterday and thought that they’d said, “Syrian Grand Prix.”

This did leave me shaking my head and thinking, ‘FFS. Where next? The Gaza Strip?’

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It was a really interesting qualifying session. Lewis built his pace slowly, balancing risk/reward through each session.

The final session was fantastic, you could see that Verstappen (a master of this track) was really getting to grips with his car and the conditions, it was looking very close at the beginning of Q3 but Hamilton gradually turned it into a mauling for the other drivers.

Verstappen had nothing left as he spun out in an attempt to find the time that his talent could simply not attain.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
yeah. but Hamilton has the best car, of course he wins.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
It was a really interesting qualifying session. Lewis built his pace slowly, balancing risk/reward through each session. His lap times built until, when it was needed, all the little risks he’d taken through the previous laps, he strung them altogether in a final breathtaking blow the rest of the field away effort.

Excellent post

Ocon one to watch also

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Sainz might start worrying that changing horses next season was not such a smart move though?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I must admit, I heard them talking about it on the radio yesterday and thought that they’d said, “Syrian Grand Prix.”

This did leave me shaking my head and thinking, ‘FFS. Where next? The Gaza Strip?’

If FIFa was running F1 they'd do it, if the money was right.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Was never going to be as exciting as last week and Lewis had it under control the whole way, at least the last few laps provided some good racing and another good drive from Lando.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
e04c26507f98a6e8ce93fc4afcfa4a9a.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here