Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Cancel Culture/Online Shaming

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
is anyone else finding this 'cancel culture' a bit disturbing ? Like some in society have a self announced moral high ground of unforgiving totalitarian absolutism. Should I buy a lantern and a pitchfork ? Is there some hand held device that I can run my thoughts through ? I don't want hordes standing outside clanging symbols at night should I accidentally use the wrong words. It's not easy being a child of the 70s.

I'm really happy at the progress our society is making towards equality and rooting out prejudice. But I don't enjoy this judgmental atmosphere that I think is more about ego than reasoned opinion and healthy discourse.

Whilst I think it's only right to outlaw hate speech, surely you cannot change people's outlook by shutting them down.

(* Can any PPF groupies refrain from commenting until later on to give this column a chance of avoiding the Bear Pit)

Last edited:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
is anyone else finding this 'cancel culture' a bit disturbing ? Like some in society have a self announced moral high ground of unforgiving totalitarian absolutism. Should I buy a lantern and a pitchfork ? Is there some hand held device that I can run my thoughts through ? I don't want hordes standing outside clanging symbols at night should I accidentally use the wrong words. It's not easy being a child of the 70s.

I'm really happy at the progress our society is making towards equality and rooting out prejudice. But I don't enjoy this judgmental atmosphere that I think is more about ego than reasoned opinion and healthy discourse.

Whilst I think it's only right to outlaw hate speech, surely you cannot change people's outlook by shutting them down.

(* Can any PPF groupies refrain from commenting until later on to give this column a chance of avoiding the Bear Pit)

Cancel culture and yet you are part of it by not allowing certain posters to air there views? Deary me.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
What is cancel culture

'Cancel culture refers to the popular practice of withdrawing support for (canceling) public figures and companies after they have done or said something considered objectionable or offensive. Cancel culture is generally discussed as being performed on social media in the form of group shaming'

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Cancel culture and yet you are part of it by not allowing certain posters to air there views? Deary me.

Ah, but I am.

I'm just asking them to hold off for long enough so as to continue on the Big Board.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
All the dystopians have predicted it in different ways, and it will only grow stronger. It is here to stay. And as a believer in the great conspiracy, I believe it is manufactured rather than dynamic or random as most believe. However, the beliefs of us conspiracy theorists were among the first to be "cancelled", and so the common perspective that this is a natural development is going to get the upper hand once those who oppose it realise that dissidence is self-destruction.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
All the dystopians have predicted it in different ways, and it will only grow stronger. It is here to stay. And as a believer in the great conspiracy, I believe it is manufactured rather than dynamic or random as most believe. However, the beliefs of us conspiracy theorists were among the first to be "cancelled", and so the common perspective that this is a natural development is going to get the upper hand once those who oppose it realise that dissidence is self-destruction.

But Icke goes from strength to strength, a huge global following.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
'Cancel culture refers to the popular practice of withdrawing support for (canceling) public figures and companies after they have done or said something considered objectionable or offensive. Cancel culture is generally discussed as being performed on social media in the form of group shaming'

Well that definition isn't really true is it? The real definition is a Witch hunt by the far left including the left leaning media to bring down anybody who they don't agree with.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Well that definition isn't really true is it? The real definition is a Witch hunt by the far left including the left leaning media to bring down anybody who they don't agree with.

Mostly the left wing groups, but much of our popular media is right leaning and can also indulge when it suits politically.

I'm left of centre and I don't like it. Neither do a significant percentage of other left of centre folk I know.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Companies spends millions trying to align themselves with us and convince us that they in someway represent us.

Surely we see allowed to spend our money elsewhere if we don't want to support tax dodging, unfair or unpleasant companies.

We have very little power aside from our vote and our purchasing choices.

Not buying stuff from Amazon (sorry Bozza) as my small protest on treating staff like shit and avoiding paying tax is surely my right?

Is this an example of cancel culture?

Am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
But Icke goes from strength to strength, a huge global following.

He got a following but huge compared to what? If there was some poll saying "do you believe more in the bullshit of Gates or in the bullshit of Icke" I'm pretty convinced a very big majority would go for the Gates (or other establishment darlings) option.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Mostly the left wing groups, but much of our popular media is right leaning and can also indulge when it suits politically.

I'm left of centre and I don't like it. Neither do a significant percentage of other left of centre folk I know.

Not true. BBC, Sky News Channel 4 are left leaning

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Companies spends millions trying to align themselves with us and convince us that they in someway represent us.

Surely we see allowed to spend our money elsewhere if we don't want to support tax dodging, unfair or unpleasant companies.

We have very little power aside from our vote and our purchasing choices.

Not buying stuff from Amazon (sorry Bozza) as my small protest on treating staff like shit and avoiding paying tax is surely my right?

Is this an example of cancel culture?

Am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

That's a personal choice you make. However, the culture I refer to is one of absolutism.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
image.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here