Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Propper

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
This thread has become ridiculous. Davy Propper is unquestionably the best central midfielder we've ever had play for the club. He's a Holland international and he's started the vast majority of our Premier League games. He's top quality and anyone who disagrees because of his recent form, is plainly wrong but everyone is entitled to their opinions. There doesn't need to be a consensus opinion.

People keep bringing up this "Holland international" since it was proof of something. Its not. Its not what it used to be. Theres a bunch of players in Oranje who would have a really hard time getting into any PL team lineup today.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Jimmy Case, multiple League and European Cup winner, was a quality CM for us, he had everything. Before starring for Stains for many more seasons. Far better than Propper, he controlled football matches.

Vicente wasn’t bad also.

That's true. Who can forget the goals against Norwich and Sheff Wed in the Cup run, and the great strike in a famous win at Anfield back in the day.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Ha ! Sorry. I didn't realise you were a joker. LOL. I've only just realised you're a spoof account. Hilarious stuff.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

No insults, answer calmly. Which of these midfielders is Propper better than;

Bissouma
Alzate
MacAllister
Mooy
Molumby
Ben White
Gross

?

I would to know which of these you feel Propper is better than and why. It’s a fair question. And your answer can’t just be “lolz he played for Holland”.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
What I like about Propper is he always finds space

Either that or opposing teams think it doesn't matter if he gets the ball anyway :lolol:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
People keep bringing up this "Holland international" since it was proof of something. Its not. Its not what it used to be. Theres a bunch of players in Oranje who would have a really hard time getting into any PL team lineup today.

He scored a couple of goals against Bulgaria i think? And it was a while ago now, maybe a couple of years.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Bissouma
Alzate
MacAllister
Mooy
Molumby
Ben White
Gross

?

I would to know which of these you feel Propper is better than and why. It’s a fair question. And your answer can’t just be “lolz he played for Holland”.

I’d say Mooy, Gross and I must have missed the Premier League games from Molumby and White so can’t comment on them. Jury still out on MacAllister but I think he’ll come good but at the moment no.

Is that calm enough?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
He lacks pace for starters.

Bless him, we countered near the end yesterday and running on treacle he made himself available, but the pass never came anyway.

He’s not a great player, he wouldn’t get anywhere the first eleven of Wolves, Leicester or the traditional top 6.

Propper’s a decent top flight player, on his day very good, on plenty of others flawed. That’s why he plays for a club consistently flirting with relegation. At age 28, he’s not PL Champions League class.

Exactly, good pro, good character and all that. But this is the PL, it’s a cut throat elite league. No chance Wolves etc would waste time with him.

I wonder if the Propper fans expect us to play him forever?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
This thread has become ridiculous. Davy Propper is unquestionably the best central midfielder we've ever had play for the club. He's a Holland international and he's started the vast majority of our Premier League games. He's top quality and anyone who disagrees because of his recent form, is plainly wrong but everyone is entitled to their opinions. There doesn't need to be a consensus opinion.

He finished the season out of the team, so at least third choice of the current bunch. Possibly fourth if Alzate was fit. He's far from the best central midfielder we've ever had.

Look. Nothing against Propper, i'd be happy for him to stay. He's had some incredible highs, to go with some extended periods of poor form.

I think one of the reasons why people would contemplate a sale, is that he's unlikely to improve that much, whereas as, Alzate, Bissouma and Molumby might if given a decent run in the side.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom

Bissouma
Alzate
MacAllister
Mooy
Molumby
Ben White
Gross

?

Just because they play the same position, doesn’t mean that they play the same role... Propper appears to be at his best when sitting deeper as a “quarterback” - dictating play. Always trying to move the ball forwards, which means that he gives the ball away more than most due to higher risk passes.

He struggles when pressed, absolutely, which he needs to find an answer to if he is to progress his game, but when he finds time and space to make progressive passes, or dribble forward he is a joy to watch.

In answer to your question though:

Bissouma - Box to Box midfielder, not Proppers role. Inconsistent, but on his day very very good and can dominate midfield, which Propper will never do (it’s not his role)
Alzate - Potentially better, retains the ball well, tries to progress it himself instead of passing and moves us forward.
MacAllister - Not enough games to judge, but similar as in he tries to get the ball forward as often as possible, and like Propper will lose the ball more often as a result.
Mooy - usually plays further forward or on the flank, not really comparable.
Molumby - Not played in Premier League, cannot compare at all.
White - see Molumby, we just don’t know how either will play at this level yet.
Gross - see Mooy, different position, different role.
Stephens - I’ll add him here, as sometimes they do play the same role (but not when on the pitch together) - Stephens much better at breaking up play, ball retention, but Propper better at progression and risk passing.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Wow. One question. If Propper is such an all time great player, why the hell is he with us? Wouldn’t City, Pool, Madrid come in for him?

The adulation for this guy here is simply incredible. Makes critical mistakes costing goals, can’t head the ball, too cultured to tackle. No assists, no goals.

And more importantly, isn’t quick enough for Potters style.

A great CM? Propper isn’t even the best CM in our squad.

He isn't the only player to make mistakes that cost us goals. Guess we should get rid of Webster and Dunk too?

Obviously it would be great if he contributed more goals and assists but you could say the same about our whole midfield.

As for not being quick enough for Potters style, Potter begs to differ seeing as he has started him in 92% of games.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Jimmy Case is the only real competition for the title, although I was a big fan of Nobby Horton as well. But this is a very different era and, personally, I would say Propper is better than the pair from a technical perspective.

Vicente isn't a central midfielder, but he's the best individual we've had play for us and we could spend another 10 years in the Premier League and not have a better footballer play for us than him. Amazing performances, despite his injury situation and his other problems. What a privilege seeing him play for us in the second tier.

I rate Horton too.

Being allegedly technical, is an entirely different argument from Propper is the greatest CM’er in the history of the Albion. So many other facets would need to be considered.

I can see why some NSC’ers put him on a pedestal. His play can be elegant and visionary, but sadly he lacks any pace, has an awful number of off days and under two entirely different style of coaches he’s provided just 7 assists in 100 PL appearances.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here