Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Jack Charlton has died.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I can’t match the previous post by Stat Brother.... :D

Jack Charlton RIP ... a great man . As a centre half, I viewed him as a colossus when he played for England...and a “dirty Northern B####### When he played for Leeds..

Still has a World Cup winners medal though.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Jack Charlton - Due to his Clever Use of the Eligibility Rules for International players on a wider wholescale basis

Bit of an exaggeration there - countries all over the world have used eligibility rules to get players - and it is also a bit of a myth that Jack used it on a 'wholesale basis'. Irish teams have always had players born outside the country - it is a product of mass emigration over two centuries.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Funny guy - saw him at Mose’s testimonial dinner at Hove Town Hall. And got him to sign the menu. Another of our 11 heroes gone to play in the sky.
RIP Jack, the fish will be relieved!

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I have great memories of his playing days. Part of that thing of beauty that was Dirty Leeds from 65 to 75. A team 30 years ahead of its time (in England). Possession football, ball on the floor, with added Extreme Fouling. RIP Big Jack.

And all accomplished on a 40 a day habit...

h_00230552.jpg

GettyImages-79023401jpg-JS459429296-1.jpg

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Bit of an exaggeration there - countries all over the world have used eligibility rules to get players - and it is also a bit of a myth that Jack used it on a 'wholesale basis'. Irish teams have always had players born outside the country - it is a product of mass emigration over two centuries.

No national side had done it with as much success in the large showpiece tournaments as Charlton did.

I can't think of any National Country at any of the major finals who had as many as Charlton's team did.

Many countries since then have been full of them but I can't think of many before his team.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Wor Jackie

RIP to a great man.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I remember fondly watching World Cup 94 as a kid, and we (England) hadn’t qualified for it so I ended up supporting Jack’s Republic of Ireland side that summer.

That team played with a lot of heart too, that Italy game. Wow. RIP Jack.

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
During a time when England were dull (apart from Italia 1990) he gave us great joy with the aerial footie of Ireland. I don't remember him as a player but it's clear that he did much for our great game.

RIP

I think it was the 1994 World Cup where England played Rep Ireland? I have two abiding memories from that game. One is the drinks breaks because of the heat, but the other is the sheer frustration of waiting for the ball to be played on the floor. It was like a game of head tennis the entire match it seemed. Dull, dull, dull. At least that is my memory of it.

I did like Jack Charlton as a character though and you couldn't help but like what he did with that Irish team.

RIP.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I think it was the 1994 World Cup where England played Rep Ireland? I have two abiding memories from that game. One is the drinks breaks because of the heat, but the other is the sheer frustration of waiting for the ball to be played on the floor. It was like a game of head tennis the entire match it seemed. Dull, dull, dull. At least that is my memory of it.

I did like Jack Charlton as a character though and you couldn't help but like what he did with that Irish team.

RIP.

Evening match, June 1990. Group phase.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Evening match, June 1990. Group phase.

0-0 or 1-1 draw? That's my memory.

I purposely haven't looked it up. Keen to see if memory is just playing tricks and it was actually a 5 goal thriller :lolol:

My memory is of a dull dull dull nil nil.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
0-0 or 1-1 draw? That's my memory.

I purposely haven't looked it up. Keen to see if memory is just playing tricks and it was actually a 5 goal thriller :lolol:

My memory is of a dull dull dull nil nil.

1-1

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here