Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Jack Charlton has died.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Seemed like a gent whenever on TV. Certainly a playing legend, like all in that team. RIP.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
been a devastating year of losses for us.

i had dinner with him (and norman) in december after a centenary event, a kinder, funnier man you'd be hard pressed to find. we sat and watched leeds play, he kicked every ball with them and had tbe audacity to criticise bielsa ;)

he'd been poorly for a while but we were all hoping he could hold on for just a few more weeks

He is a rarity nowadays, being a one-club man thoughout his playing career.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Another legend gone, top bloke. WC 1990 always sticks in the mind for me, taking an average Irish team to the Quarters

RIP

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
During a time when England were dull (apart from Italia 1990) he gave us great joy with the aerial footie of Ireland. I don't remember him as a player but it's clear that he did much for our great game.

RIP

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Did he and Bobby ever settle their differences?

RIP.

Apparently yes.....from a paper obit; Opposites on the pitch, the brothers also had their differences off it with tensions arising between Jack and Norma, Bobby's wife.

But the pair reconciled when Jack presented his brother with a BBC Sports Personality of the Year Lifetime Achievement Award in 2018, embracing him the same way he had done 52 years earlier.

'Bobby Charlton is the greatest player I've ever seen and he's my brother,' Jack told the audience.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
RIP Jack

Sad to hear that he had dementia in later years. Always think of him as someone who spoke his mind very eloquently

When the offside laws were altered to allow play to continue if a player was in an offside position but was not deemed to be interfering with play - "What the f***'* he doing on the pitch if he's not inteferering with play!"

Good run though in fairness

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Don't know why Jack Charlton was never knighted. He did more for Anglo-Irish relations than most politicians. Wonderful career in football.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
If you look at individuals as opposed to Money and TV Companies etc.

Two of the people who changed football to what it is today the most were :

Jean Pierre Bosman - Due to his Judicial Challenge of Football Transfer Rules

Jack Charlton - Due to his Clever Use of the Eligibility Rules for International players on a wider wholescale basis

I think those two individuals changed Football forever and both leave us a wonderful legacy.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
No more, Play Soccer the Jack Charlton Way. Used to frighten the shite out of me when he was only coaching kids

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
RIP big man.

Lovely story on football focus just now about when he was manager of Ireland, whenever he went into a pub he would buy everyone a drink but pay with a cheque as he knew that it would never get cashed and end up in a frame behind the bar.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1281869544559124480[/tweet]

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
RIP Big Jack.

Leeds legend, England legend, Ireland legend, entertaining pundit, proper football man.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here