Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Horror / Thriller novels - HELP needed.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Fair play to you Gripper. I am endeavouring to write a book at the moment so you have my undying admiration for getting to this point. I fluctuate between loving what I’ve done and waking up at two in the morning and hating every last word.

Wishing you every success mate.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
You read any of the recent books by M.W. Craven?

Sounds like my cup of tea so I'm in. As long as you don't linger lovingly on meaningless cruelty and purposeless beastliness. I can get all that on the Brexit thread.

:cheers:

I haven't no. I'll at a couple to my list.

No meaningless cruelty - more creepy than horror.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Fair play to you Gripper. I am endeavouring to write a book at the moment so you have my undying admiration for getting to this point. I fluctuate between loving what I’ve done and waking up at two in the morning and hating every last word.

Good luck with it. I am a very keen procrastinator which can cause some issues. I tried to set myself a solid target - say two chapters a week - and stick to it how ever much I didn't want to.

Do DM me if I can help with anything. I probably can't!

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019

Fantastic isn't it? 12 years in and I finally feel I’ve got a viable YA novel, and can only now completely understand all the rejections I’ve had from literary agents (or mostly just nil replies) down the years. The hours of sleep I’ve lost to the pursuit down the year’s don’t bear thinking about, and several times I’ve woken around midnight, written through the night and then gone straight into a ten hour working day on 2 hours sleep. Marvellous.

Good luck to all NSC scribes. Never give up.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Gratuitous bounce for the boy Stebson

Baby Blue now available in Kindle and paperback format (via Amazon Prime hurrah!)

Oh, and order via the NSC Amazon link would be grand too

Last edited:

Jaxie

Dec 2, 2018
Far East (Sussex)
Interested to read this thread this morning. I’ve added my name to the mailing list. I never used to read horror/thrillers. But having just recently read my first Stephen King work, (Different Seasons, as I love the film Stand by Me) which I couldn’t put down, I’m keen on reading more in this genre. Your book sounds good, and the cover art certainly grabbed my attention.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Thanks to everyone who's ordered a copy. It's massively appreciated.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I’ve just finished reading it in one sitting! It kept me hooked all the way through; very enjoyable.

Keep up the good work sir:thumbsup:

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
I have finally got around to ordering the book. Yes I also used the NSC amazon link.

I look forward to reading it and I’ll try to post some thoughts afterwards on here, but I have a clumsy way with words that often makes George Bush sound like Dickens (or Dudley)!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
About halfway through now. Have to say I found the first 30-40 pages really hard going, endless estate agent-esque descriptions of the interior of country cottages, no hint whatsoever of any inkling of horror. But if you can make it that far, then you may well be rewarded. Suspect it works far better as a screenplay, which is no bad thing. Doubtless OP's prime motivation anyways. And fair play for that

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
About halfway through now. Have to say I found the first 30-40 pages really hard going, endless estate agent-esque descriptions of the interior of country cottages, no hint whatsoever of any inkling of horror. But if you can make it that far, then you may well be rewarded. Suspect it works far better as a screenplay, which is no bad thing. Doubtless OP's prime motivation anyways. And fair play for that

Sorry to hear that! I shall pass this on to my sponsors RightMove x

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Sorry to hear that! I shall pass this on to my sponsors RightMove x

Sorry for the personal honesty, but you don't just want to hear the stuff you want to hear shirley? Anyways, having slogged through the first 30-40 pages, pretty much guaranteed that a positive review will now be posted on the review site of your choosing. Top work! :thumbsup:

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Sorry for the personal honesty, but you don't just want to hear the stuff you want to hear shirley? Anyways, having slogged through the first 30-40 pages, pretty much guaranteed that a positive review will now be posted on the review site of your choosing. Top work! :thumbsup:

Ah no - all feedback is great - having done the film stuff for years my skin is thick!

I'm currently listening to the chapters coming in one by one from the Audible narrator and must admit to having thought that I could probably have gone with some horror a tad earlier...

With regards to a review - Amazon please. Cheers mate x

(EDIT: to prove my thick skin point I just checked in on Cage and read a review from yesterday - "What a f**king boring movie - you need to f**k off.". Haha!)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here