Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Callum Wilson, a Young(ish) Glenn Murray?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Seen various posts referencing the need to replace Murray, would Wilson be a candidate?

Similar height to Murray, good hold up play and has a slightly better premier league goal to game ratio (1 in 3) than Murray.

At 28, 3 years left on the contract and the recently referenced Muff accounts reckon we would have to spend 25-28m to secure him. I don’t see wages being an issue (rumoured to be £60,000 a week)

Realistically we are not in the space to be spending more than 30m on a striker and a quick open source search suggests he meets the no dickheads policy.

I don’t see any issue tactically with him playing up top in a 2 with Maupay or Connolly and probably complimentary of their traits.

Doctor Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
In an ideal world, Wilson would be great, but I have a feeling clubs with more money to throw at players would be in for him. Seems like a typical West Ham signing.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
In an ideal world, Wilson would be great, but I have a feeling clubs with more money to throw at players would be in for him. Seems like a typical West Ham signing.

At 28 it’s probably his last chance of a big move so dependent on who would come in for him.

I don’t see a West Ham as they’ve got Antonio

Everton, I think they would look bigger now with the manager

Southampton maybe as he wouldn’t have to move!

I think 4th season in (nearly there) we will see an increase in max spend on a player as believe there will be some outs to fund things as well

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Seen various posts referencing the need to replace Murray, would Wilson be a candidate?

Similar height to Murray, good hold up play and has a slightly better premier league goal to game ratio (1 in 3) than Murray.

At 28, 3 years left on the contract and the recently referenced Muff accounts reckon we would have to spend 25-28m to secure him. I don’t see wages being an issue (rumoured to be £60,000 a week)

Realistically we are not in the space to be spending more than 30m on a striker and a quick open source search suggests he meets the no dickheads policy.

I don’t see any issue tactically with him playing up top in a 2 with Maupay or Connolly and probably complimentary of their traits.

Doctor Yes

Wilson’s form is (by many accounts) directly linked to Fraser playing for Muff. Wilson’s form has dropped off a cliff since Fraser downed tools.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Wilson’s form is (by many accounts) directly linked to Fraser playing for Muff. Wilson’s form has dropped off a cliff since Fraser downed tools.

This. Wilson is a shadow of the player he was. I doubt we would want him ,and I doubt they will get big money for him. maybe 12 mill?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Completely out of form. With Covid-19 affecting transfer fees too, I’d be disappointed with anything over £12m if we were to spend dosh on getting him.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I wouldn’t say we lack creativity, we can’t finish.

I agree, Just saying that Wilson has had an umbilical link to Fraser and once that was broken he's struggled. Mind you, all good normal forwards (apart from Messi/Ronaldo) usually score in batches. Perhaps we could resurrect Benteke's career too. ???

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;9412029 said:
I think when people say "younger" Murray, they, in fact, mean a "faster" Murray (type player). Someone who can play up front alone, hold the ball up, finish, good in the air and with his feet and has strength and pace. Not too much to ask for is it? :whistle:

Yeah fortunately those type of players are quite cheap to buy and generally fit perfectly with our wage structure.
Should probably go for 2, just in case the first one picks up an injury.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Instead of buying proven quality, we should look to spend £15m-£20m on an emerging talent from a lesser European league. Once he has settled in (this will take a year), got used to the pace of the game here (another year) and got over some niggling injuries (say, 6 months) he'll have just enough time to put himself in the shop window before his contract expires.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
There's a guy called Locadia, apparently the next best thing?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Are you trying to tell me there's a Loren Moron out there and I haven't insisted he be singed.

I'm slacking.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
We don't throw big money at players with no sell on value.

He is the type we should be looking at though.

With Maupay and Connolly still young, potentially Gyokeres to come back, and Murray barely playing, I also think we should be going for a striker with some experience.

We bought Mooy and he’s no spring chicken, so it does occasionally happen!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here