Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] At what point does Lewis Dunk become a bonafide legend?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
300+ appearances now. Hometown boy to club captain. He’s earned an England cap whilst at the club, not something many players have done. He’s been a model of consistency for four, four and a half seasons now and a clear player of the season this year.He’s played three of our seven seasons in the top flight, won promotion and played in an FA cup semi final.

At what point does he become one of our greatest ever players? Where does he rank in our history? Is he already up there with Ward, Zamora etc?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
A week last Tuesday - in other words, he already is.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Club legend is a generational thing.
Albionites who've seen Dunk play but not Ward and visa versa, each having their own opinion of legend.
Wardy and Zamora were great forwards for the club, but as a leader, Dunk stands out a mile.
So for me it has to be Dunk.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I've been going since the late 80s and he's the best player I've seen. I'd be surprised if the "golden age" players were better than him. Though it sounds like this was a great time to support the club.

Go on then I'll say it. Lewis Dunk. The greatest player to ever play for Brighton

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"Legend" is banded about a bit too much for my liking. Dunk is a very, very good player and as a homegrown lad gets that extra chutzpah. Chris Hughton was the best thing that ever happened to his career, as once he arrived, all those infuriating lapses seemed to start melting away as he grew in confidence, stature and experience. He's developed into one of the best centrebacks we've ever seen at BHA, a worthy captain, and is now going to be in his 4th season of doing it at the highest level, when the demands at this level have never been higher.

Is he a "legend" right now ? Not for me just yet. But if he keeps doing what he's doing then he'll be well on his way.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
The legends team voted for by the fans had Foster and Lawrenson at the back. Lawrenson is arguably the greatest player to pull on a Brighton shirt. Has Dunky overtaken Fozzie?

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
It's rare he's not one our 3 best players.
He's regularly the best CB on the pitch.
He's got 300ish appearances.
He's one of our own.

Enough to justify legend status already.

if he carries on as he is, we continue in the PL and he overtakes Kerry Mayo's 400odd appearances then I'll consider getting my first tattoo.

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
Usually the legend tag is only awarded after a player has either retired or left the club and we can look back on their contribution to our club. I have been a fan since 1964 and I believe Lewis will be remembered as a true legend, local boy, regular since we arrived at the Amex, captain in consecutive Premier League seasons, England cap. consistent form, brave (remember when he put his head in to block a shot?). Will definitely be remembered as a true legend.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Dunk is well past that already he is undoubtedly the best player we have had in 50 years when you squeeze everything down into one measure 'high contribution over a protracted period'.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Already is. Our most consistent player every season and yet he continues to improve. Lewis has turned down lucrative offers to leave yet stayed to see us into the top division.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think Dunk is better than Foster. I remember leaving Wembley thinking we were stuffed for the replay vs Man Utd because Foster was returning from suspension, whereas I can't envisage us being weaker with Dunk in the side.

He's already got more Prem goals and I fancy he'll have more top flight appearances soon enough too. Foster got 3 England caps so that's touch and go for Lewis though, but with Mings and Stones on the wane who knows?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
When I first started going to the Goldstone I saw Steve Foster play for us, we were in the second division..

I was still new to football but I still vividly remember the worship and chants for him all through each game. “Steve Foster m’lord Steve Foster”..

Dunk I feel is ‘our’ Foster, he’s my generation anyway. But I don’t think the worship levels are quite the same yet. Won’t be much longer though.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
What a difference 4 and a half years make. So many wanted to take the supposed £5m on offer back then.

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?330966-Sell-Dunk-in-January&highlight=Lewis+Dunk

I stand by what I said at the time..

'He's an outstanding defender, no denying it. But his penchant for calamity is becoming a real issue. This is because we can no longer look at the side as a team punching above its weight, we have to look at it as a team who are real challengers. And that changes things'

The first sentence remains. The second part he sorted out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here